The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

interesting small diesel truck
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: interesting small diesel truck Reply with quote

An Indian company named Mahrinda is fixing to import a small diesel pickup....looks interesting, I can't find any tow ratings but it's reported to be able to handle a real payload. It would sure be nice to have one vehicle that you could afford to drive to work every day and would be able to tow the boat

http://www.mahindrana.com/

Lucky Day

City/Region: Churchton
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lucky Day
Photos: Lucky Day
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the "Clean Diesel" tab on the web site and the company story. Great concept.
mcc272

City/Region: Long Island Sound
State or Province: CT
Vessel Name: C-Star
Photos: C-Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it does not give info on towing capacity, it has a 2.2L, 4 cylinder diesel. For comparison sake, a 09 Ford F-250 diesel (smallest Ford diesel truck) has a 6.4L 8 cylinder engine and has a maximum loaded trailer weight of 12,500 lbs. I don't know enough to adjust for engine displacement and cylinders but the Indian truck is roughly 1/3 the engine displacement and half the cylinders. The laws of physics, thermodynamics and a whole bunch of other laws (including those administered by the EPA) apply to both vehicles so one would suspect that the Indian truck would have modest towing capacity, perhaps not enough to tow a CD-22 set up for cruising.

Another comparison point is a Honda CR-V which has a 2.35L, 4 cyl. gas engine and a towing capacity of 1500 lbs. While there are many factors that limit the CR-V's towing capacity including transmission and construction, I suspect that the engine is partly a factor.

Perhaps one of the gear heads on the List can take a better guess at towing capacity.

Also, remember that virtually all of the light diesel engines sold for truck and marine propulsion applications these days are common rail as is the engine on this truck.

North Star, 2011 Rosborough RF-246
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would fill a niche in the market that has been missing. I loved the Izuzu diesel pickup and have been waiting for one since. This could be it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the tow capacity has not been released, the payload is over a ton. Compare with the earlier 2.7L Dodge Sprinter 2500, which had a tow capacity of 5000 lbs, and the 3.0 L 2009 Dodge Sprinter 3500 with a tow capacity of 6500. I have corresponded with several Sprinter owners who have been towing loads equal to the C Dory 22 in Western mountains--a bit slow up the grades, but no problems. One of my concerns would be the weight of the tow vehicle--being a bit light to tow 4500 lbs. But I wouldn't be surprised if this 2.2 L engine might be able to tow 4000 lbs, if properly geared.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercedes offers both the ML and GL SUV's with a 3.2 liter turbo diesel. The engine produces 210hp and 398 lb/ft of torque driven through a 7 speed automatic. Both are rated to tow 7,200 lbs and return mid to high 20's on the highway when not towing. The ML diesel starts at about $50k and the GL at $60k, no doubt very expensive.

Volkswagen is reportedly going to offer the Touareg with a V6 diesel starting in January. It will be able to tow 7,700 lbs and will start in the low $40k range.

Small diesels are very powerful and capable of carrying and towing heave loads, but you won't break any speed records. It will be interesting to follow this small truck, but Id be weary about buying an Indian (or Chinese) car at first.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita Marie wrote:
I think this would fill a niche in the market that has been missing. I loved the Izuzu diesel pickup and have been waiting for one since. This could be it.

Hope so. Sub 5k lbs tow rating I'm sure, but if the payload of the 2 door truck is 2500 lbs, and with that 6 speed tranny, it may surprise us. Did you sign up for a ride, David? Looks sturdy enough and I like the fact it's got almost an 8 ft. bed.

Don
Sam Walker

City/Region: Wherever the RV is today
State or Province: SD
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, I too have been waiting for a properly powered replacement for the Izusu, Toyota, Nissan, and VW trucks. I will be watching this one closely. I did sign up for any updates and will pass them on here when the time comes.

I was very intrigued by a Jeep Prototype w/ their 3.7L CRD. They called it the Gladiator and had retro styling back to the 1950s Willys trucks. Unfortunately, the prototype did not go anywhere and is probably not going to w/ today's truck market tanking.

Lucky Day

City/Region: Churchton
State or Province: MD
Vessel Name: Lucky Day
Photos: Lucky Day
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a 20 gallon tank. It will be interesting to see what the mpg's are loaded and empty. It might have quite decent range with 20 gallons.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This new Mahrinda diesel truck from India may well find a niche in todays energy crisis.

If Detroit can't or doesn't answer, however, there go some more jobs overseas!

Anyone know of an efficient diesel bicycle or tricycle for old guys?

Joe. Laughing

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: trucks diesel Reply with quote

What I can't understand is Ford and GM have diesels in europe they could bring over from europe ,Ford has a ford focus that get 65 mpg .These American Auto companies have to WAKE up . Forget the hp wars and bring out economy cars and trucks .

I to am waiting for a diesel truck or suv that will tow about 5000lb then I'll trade in my 06Honda pilot. I've been reading that GM and Ford will bring out some smaller diesels with their half ton trucks but we don't know when?? I think most Americans want to buy American.

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever wonder why they do not simply just put in two speed transmission switches in smaller rigs? We used them with other work trucks.

Will be interesting to follow this.

Not sure what the towing capacity of the 2009 VW Jetta wagon is with the updated TDI. I guess this ride is all about mileage...

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeep came out with a small diesel in their Liberty series SUV's. A friend of mine had one and had all sorts of problems with it. Ultimately Jeep took it back under the lemon law. I understand they discontinued this option. I say this to warn anyone who may be considering a small used Jeep diesel. Seemed strange to me as I understand it was engineered by Mercedes who have been building diesels for a long time.
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: jeep diesel Reply with quote

WE were interested in the jeep also it was a Italian built mercedes design diesel . I've heard they are discontinued in the Liberty series . They do have a mercedes 3 litre jeep now for sale also the Sprinter 3litre I believe its the same eng. I'm hoping that GM and Ford come up with somthing in the next yr or two .
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many remember the VW diesel pickup made in 1982? I have a friend with one and it gets 45 MPG. It's not really a truck as it's on a frame similiar to the old El Caminos. His has over 300,000 mile and still going strong. It has I think only a 1.6 liter engine so wouldn't do for hauling to large a boat. Those things were made in America sadly they didn't catch on. Maybe it's time to open that factory back up.
I've read up on the new Grand Cherokee diesels and they are getting good reviews aside from the transmissions some say aren't geared properly. They claim 24 MPG which is pretty good in a true full time four wheel drive. Perhaps next years model will address the gearing problem . I would expect that if more diesels were in use the price of fuel would come down?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: