Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reliability of WALLAS 85DU/270 Reply with quote

Our 99 boat came with a new Wallas 95DU which worked well initially but has been unreliable in recent years. We use it occasionally throughout the year and for a few weeks we use it daily, from 4 to 9 hours a day. We have used clean fuel and have serviced the stove ourselves until recently when we sent it in.

After considering other options; blake/lavac/taylors, webasto, toyotomi, dickinson's newport, cozy cabin's force 10 and Wallas' 1300/1800, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Wallas 85DU/270. But I need to know that it is an upgrade in reliability. I am told by Scan Marine that all the internal motors are more substantial as well as some of the other parts and that it is generally sturdier. From their perspective they are seeing stoves run considerably more hours without problems.

Before making another investment, I'd like to hear from those of you who have been using the 85DU/270 for awhile. We know it cooks and heats well, but does it operate consistently? How long and hard have you used it and have you experienced difficulties? For those who have used both models, how does it compare with the 95DU?

Tom

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 85 DU is the recent two burner model, I think I have one - a 2006 model.

I use mine extensively and it has fired on the first try all but one time when the fuel supply hose had lost it's prime. I just pressed on the flexible tank enough to get some fuel up higher and fired up the second try. I try to keep the fuel tank topped off or above 2/3 level.

After having read all the old posts on what to do and what to avoid, I have always started the stove with the engine running and on full heat with lid up. I close the lid when running without cooking and just open up the windows if it's too hot. I think running it on low heat with low fuel level invites loss of prime.

I have always ran the stove on full heat just before turning it off also, as someone had suggested. I change the thermostat knob slowly, in increments as advised in the instructions to avoid soot build up.

I try to keep a rag or such between the sink and that open counter slot between the stove and the counter where any water intrusion would easily hit the electronic controls.

I have always used Klean Heet. I use the stove several times a month at the minimum - I think monthly is suggested.

2 years so far and so far OK.

John
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have both a 95 and 85--I don't see a lot of difference in general--but we have had no problems with either. I have not looked carefully at the "guts". I agree that the way you use the stove will make a difference--we also start on high, and finish on high, with slow adjustments.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom;

I have the 85 on my TC255. I have used it extensively, the only problems that we have experienced are the exhaust would back up into the house when running and the wind would blow off the starboard side and, when washing the boat we had water enter the heater from the exterior. We spent 2 1/2 months in SE AK this summer and had the problem of water in the unit. During that time we used it nearly continuously with the only problem was starting after water entered the system from the exterior. I called Scan and received excellent service. I am considering installing a clam shell cover to eliminate the blow back into the pilot house. Has anyone else had a simular problem with blow back?

Gene

drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene,

There was a recent thread on exactly this problem - blowback at speed, etc., - in which they described the clamshell, a source, and the direction to install it ahead of the Wallas' exhaust, not over the exhaust opening.

Maybe a search would bring that up for you.

I initially suffered the blowback at speed problem, but figured out that keeping the cabin door closed and the forward window open a bit would create enough positive pressure inside the cabin to stop the blowback. When docked with Starboard wind, I'd let the aft line off enough to reduce the angle at which the wind hit the cabin side. When at anchor, I tie a quartering line around the anchor line and draw it just tight enough (maybe 30 degrees?) so that the exhaust is on the lee.

John
mark&diana

City/Region: Beaverton
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Nyanza II
Photos: Nyanza II
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We currently use diesel in our Wallas (generally works well - except for the issue of exhaust/smell in the cabin). Based on the input of others, we are thinking of changing over to Kerosene or 'clean heat'. Are there any complications in making the conversion that we need to know about? Are there filters, etc. that need to be cleaned or changed?

Many thanks -

Hull #66
drjohn71a

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

While the total amount of smell with Kleen Heat seems less to me than that of diesel, if you do suffer blowback into the cabin while the stove is running, the Kleen Heat odor is strong, sour, acrid, horrible. I kind of see that as a warning that the exhaust is not working, but I do want to be sure that you know Kleen Heat is no perfume!

John
mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
We have one when we bought the boat new in 06 and run about 12-15 gal of Kleen fuel every summer. Our summers are not the most Warm Friendly. Have had no issues with the stove.
They are a bit noisy. For a small boat like the C-Dory it's a good unit.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Brother Mike and his wife B put that unit on their boat about a year ago now. They boat 12 months a year...and put between 500-600 hours a year on the motor....so, just imagine the hours in/on the boat. They do not like to stay at marinas often. I have heard of zero complants from them on this unit. I think during one of my last trips west and working with Scan they indicated some of the computer-gizmos were a bit different now than a year or two back... I do not have this rig, but do have the Wallas 30D duct heating system and again have had zero issues on this unit in a couple of years. It only heats, but does it HEAT! Great option for me.

Also...I think I saw on some post withing the last few months someone was talking with scan about a screen/guard to replace the one on their C-Dory....and found that what Scan/Wallas recommends for the size was somewhat different than what C-Dory was using....

Joe or some of the other dailey Brat'ers may want to chip in...or give a bit more detail on this??? or not?

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
mark&diana

City/Region: Beaverton
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Nyanza II
Photos: Nyanza II
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback. I agree we need to address the 'root cause' of the exhaust in the cabin before possibly switching to another fuel.

I got good advice from the service desk at scan marine about how to check for leaks, etc. - just need to find the time to do it.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmitchell,

This is just a question, not a sociological comment, but how many hours a day do you have to run a Wallis to burn even 10 gal of fuel in a summer, let alone 15?

The worst we ever did was ~1 gal for the summer in Canada. And 1/2 gal for the summer in San Francisco. We've had a boat in Alaska for a summer, without a heater like the Wallis, and we went through a couple of gallons of propane, using the oven. You must use the C-Dory for a looong summer, and that's good.

Anyway, the 2005 Wallis in Journey On is doing well, and good. No problems, except remembering to take a full tank at the beginning of summer. I've missed that a couple of times. Use either kerosene or clean heet, whichever comes to hand. Slowest stove on record to start up and shut down.

Boris
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gang! Man....I can see a pole coming on this one.... How much fuel goes thru your wallas in a boating year?

I gotta say without a doubt, the wallas is for sure a great think on the boat. .... and I doubt I will have a "crusing type" boat of my own without one of sometype on it. They are just too worth it.

And... I guess 2-3 gallons in my cooktop/heater... about a gallon in the 30D heater only.....but use the microwave and crock pot a bit more.

Byrdman
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability of WALLAS 85DU/270 Reply with quote

primative wrote:
Our 99 boat came with a new Wallas 95DU which worked well initially but has been unreliable in recent years. We use it occasionally throughout the year and for a few weeks we use it daily, from 4 to 9 hours a day. We have used clean fuel and have serviced the stove ourselves until recently when we sent it in.

After considering other options; blake/lavac/taylors, webasto, toyotomi, dickinson's newport, cozy cabin's force 10 and Wallas' 1300/1800, I'm thinking of upgrading to the Wallas 85DU/270. But I need to know that it is an upgrade in reliability. I am told by Scan Marine that all the internal motors are more substantial as well as some of the other parts and that it is generally sturdier. From their perspective they are seeing stoves run considerably more hours without problems.

Before making another investment, I'd like to hear from those of you who have been using the 85DU/270 for awhile. We know it cooks and heats well, but does it operate consistently? How long and hard have you used it and have you experienced difficulties? For those who have used both models, how does it compare with the 95DU?

Tom

May I take the liberty of suggesting another alternative, especially since we're from the Portland area and winterboat exensively. For each boat, we bought two Optimus 400W Quartz heaters through Amazon for $30. It easily heats up the 22 footer and the trawler cabin in my Devlin. With the 22 footer, I can power it easily with my 1500w inverter, with or without shorepower, and underway. This arrangement allows us to power the microwave, etc. You could easily use a Honday genny too as a backup or primary, if you don't want to install an inverter.

We use a Cabella's butane stove for cooking purposes.

I have no direct experience with Wallas but the trawler has an Aspar which works fine. It's somewhat noisy as it cycles throughout the night, same as a ceramic heater. This 400w heater is absolutely silent and dry.

-Greg
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability of WALLAS 85DU/270 Reply with quote

Dene wrote:
May I take the liberty of suggesting another alternative, especially since we're from the Portland area and winterboat exensively. For each boat, we bought two Optimus 400W Quartz heaters through Amazon for $30. It easily heats up the 22 footer and the trawler cabin in my Devlin. With the 22 footer, I can power it easily with my 1500w inverter, with or without shorepower, and underway. This arrangement allows us to power the microwave, etc. You could easily use a Honday genny too as a backup or primary, if you don't want to install an inverter.

I have often wondered what the effective difference is between a fan heater and a quartz heater. Why did you choose this particular heater?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Dene

City/Region: Kalama
Vessel Name: Fear Naut & Terra-Sea-Ta
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reliability of WALLAS 85DU/270 Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Dene wrote:

I have often wondered what the effective difference is between a fan heater and a quartz heater. Why did you choose this particular heater?

Thanks,
Warren

Warren,

It has excellent reviews,so that was a factor. Also, it has no fan, nor needs one, and that was appealing, especially for sleeping at night. Finally, it radiates heat at low wattage. Most ceramic heaters, including the WM one we have, require 1200 to 1500 watts. That's quite a load on an alternator and/or inverter's house batteries. The 400w setting is plenty sufficient for warming up the cabin.

I've been meaning to ask you. I made a brief appearance at the Anacortes Trawler fest when some C-Brats were there. Met Trinity, Dr. Bob, and a 3rd person who owned a C-Dory. Was that you? If so, you're a heck of a nice guy. If not, you're a heck of a nice guy. :>

-Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: