The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

110 V Receptacle Upgrade for Ranger 25
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRay wrote:
IdleUp wrote:
What do you really think is going to happen to the wire

I think that in ten to thirty years, depending on a variety of factors, there's a fair chance that the wire will part someplace inside the insulation due to vibration and/or corrosion. The problem will likely be invisible to whomever might own the boat at that time (if this one makes it that long without a rewiring caused by a surveyor and an insurance company). It could then arc and cause a fire, but would more likely just stop working.

IdleUp wrote:
By the way, it’s my boat - not the surveyors

Frequently the way I feel when beset by bureaucrats. Wink

It's yours until you sell it. There will probably be a survey, and this probably won't pass.

There ain't much that will last on a boat in 10-30 years, so the wire job will just be one of many, many, other problems that arrive with time

The only thing I'm really worried about breaking in the next 10-30 years is me! Laughing

My Other Hobbies:
www.rotory.com - www.bigpickup.com

TomRay
Dealer

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdleUp wrote:

There ain't much that will last on a boat in 10-30 years, so the wire job will just be one of many, many, other problems that arrive with time

The only thing I'm really worried about breaking in the next 10-30 years is me! Laughing

You might be surprised. I sell 20 and 30 year old boats all the time, and many have lots of original equipment (or 15 year old upgrades) installed. How do you think we know that solid wires break from vibration over time? Wink

Went to list an old C&C 30 today. Nice boat, in great shape. Has solid AC wires, very visible. Soon, a surveyor and insurance company will be complaining about them. Wink

IdleUp

City/Region: Smith Mountain Lake
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Linda Sue
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on the application, but I assure you there are hundreds of boats in Florida with Romex wiring. Mostly older boats. The reason is, on older boats the owners can't afford to re-wire the whole boat with stranded tinned wire, so Romex is widely used for re-wiring and adding utilities.

Romex is actually pretty tough wire - About 12 years ago when I moved to VA, I needed to get some power from a temp pole to the job site. I had 250 ft roll of 12/2 w grd in my garage and quickly wired a rec box on one end and a plug on the other. That same cord has has help build 15 homes and numerous docks. I'll bet it's been run over 1000 times with dump trucks, loaders and even a few dozer's sitting on a ballast rock, it's been outdoors, rain snow, salt, and you know what, while it has a few battle wounds on it - that Romex cord still works even today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: