View previous topic :: View next topic  
westward

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Ranger 21EC questions Reply with quote

Since becoming temporarily boatless it hasn't taken long for me to begin researching boats for my eventual replacement. This always seems to lead me back to the CD22 but I have a few curiousity questions for Ranger 21 owners out there: What's your general impression/description of handling and seakeeeping characteristics? How do they behave in rougher water in a variety of seas? What is the fastest cruise speed that still maintains reasonable economy? What about low speed steering, when docking or in tight spots (marina's, near shore, etc.)? Anyone have an installed bowthruster (assuming this is even possible)? How about low speed tracking for fishing? For those who've added a kicker, is it necessary and what size kicker is appropriate? Do you need to alter speed for wakes, etc. when running (as with a C-Dory 22) or can you just plow through at cruising speed? What about rolling while underway? I saw a blue beauty on Lake Union yesterday and am honestly wondering if these vessels are more than cocktail cruisers. I look forward to the experienced feedback of R21, and especially R21EC owners here. Thanks, Mike.
Texas Steve

City/Region: Fairview
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: Slow 'n Easy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Definitely a different vessel... Reply with quote

I've had my R21-EC for 18 months now and I love it more everyday. Having said that, it is a very different proposition from the CD-22. The big issue for everyone looking at the Ranger Tug is speed. With a moderate load, she will make about 8 mph at a very economical cruising speed. I've never seen an indicated 10 mpg, but others claim it can make that as top end.

Seakeeping: Because of her round bottom, she is subject to rather unpleasant roll, but, as long as you're quartering into the waves, she does a beautiful job. It's taken me awhile to learn how to manage her in a following sea, but once you get the hang of it, it's very good. We are definitely planning to take her across from Ft Lauderdale to The Bahamas at some point (when weather permits), and I have no reservations whatsoever about her seaworthiness as long as the captain doesn't do something entirely stupid.

We don't have a kicker or bow thruster so I can't comment about that except to say that, here again, once you get the hang of maneuvering an inboard with a rudder, the boat handles very nicely at slow speeds and close quarters.

A big difference between the CD-22 and the Ranger R21-EC is the cabin room. It's hard to imagine how those guys took their non extended versions to Alaska (as chronicled in the Ranger Tugs website), but we enjoy having more open cockpit than enclosed accommodations.

I know you'll hear a bunch from others, but these are my impressions.

Steve Frisch
REBEMUP

City/Region: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea-Cruz
Photos: C-Cruz
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who is considering the purchase of a Ranger Tug 21ec. This is for use on Monterey Bay and waters offshore central California and the Delta. When I look at the low freeboard on the 21ec I wonder if it would be adequate for these waters. It seems the C-Dory has a lot more freeboard and a much smaller cockpit to take water into. Both boats use bilg pumps with no scuppers. Coming from the sailing world that has always made me a little neverous about Sea-Cruz but I carry two buckets and a fear driven bailout might make up for no scuppers.

I have taken C-Cruz into some fairly heavy seas and once had her broach but never have I taken any water into the cockpit other than a splash or two into the stern well. Does anyone who has owned both have a feeling about this. My friend reads Tug-Nuts and feels the 21ec is as seaworthy as the 22 C-Dory. I am not so sure.

Ron

Ron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: