The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Ranger R25 pre-cruse checklist

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick Swain

City/Region: San Francisco
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Ciao Bella
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Ranger R25 pre-cruse checklist Reply with quote

Just joined The C-Brats and my new Ranger R25 will be delivered in a week. This is my first boat, and want to be organized. Do any of you R-25's have a pre-cruse checklist you can share. Thanks, Rick Swain P.S. the boat stays in the water.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We spent the summer in San Francisco Bay, on/in a C-25. the ranger 25 is a great boat for the bay, especially when the wind gets up. A lot of great places to visit.

In what marina are you planing to keep the boat?

Boris
Belltown

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Moondance
Photos: Moondance
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Rick. I know how excited you must be. I'm a Bay Area (Palo Alto) boy, transplanted to Seattle in '98. I can only imagine exploring those waters on an R25. And Journey On is right - the boat handles chop and swells without a problem, tracks well, and keeps you warm and dry.

Ours, Moondance, is also a first boat. We took Power Squadron classes for 13 weeks while waiting for delivery. They were tremendously helpful, and checklists were a point of emphasis. We are still growing ours as we learn. You'll find some in the Owner's Manual, prepared by Andrew Custiss, to get you started.

I'll pass one along to you when we get it a bit more organized. Right now we have little notes here and there.

Happy cruising.

Cheers,

Bruce
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not C Ranger specific, but for any boat.

If you are launching off the trailer, be sure that all drain plugs are in place and secured. I would close thru hulls, and then open them when coming aboard before starting engine or genset.

Check the bilge for water, fuel or oil. Check thru hulls to be sure that they work and are in proper position (open sea water intake for the engine for example).

Check engine oil--level, and for water (Milky appearance). Check transmission and generator oil each time before start. Check fuel filters for water in water separator and to be sure that there is no air in the filter or fuel lines.

Check all instruments: depth sounder, chart plotter radar and radio for proper functioning. I do not believe in "Radio Checks" other than initial installation. I do occasionally check output and SWR with antenna analyzer--there are farily simple ones for about $50. Radio checks can be done by talking with other boats on channels other than 16.

Check to see that all fire extinguishers are in place and properly filled. Check horn for sound--(a little beep will do). Check life jackets, be sure that everyone aboard knows where they are, and if children are aboard that they have the life jacket on. (I would like to see at least whistle's on the life jackets and a strobe/flash light by ACR is also desirable.

Be sure that all flares and signals are in date, and in an appropiate place. Let the crew know where they are, along with fire extinguishers and life jackets.

Check your navigation lights to be sure that they are working and legal.

Check the First Aid kit to be sure it is intact and all know its location.

Check to be sure you have the no oil discharge plaque and garbage disposal plaque aboard.

When starting the engine and generator, look for cooling water. Visually check the engine, looking for fuel water or oil leaks. I like an IR therometer to check the transmission and engine block for hot spots. Check the battery voltage before and after starting the engine.

If you have the thrusters, check each one, in each direction--just a little spirt.
Check the Carbon monoxide detectors for fresh batteries and readings.
If you have propane appliances, be sure that the gas is shut off at the tank.

I also check to be sure that the windlass breaker is OFF--turn it on only when you want to use the windlass--you don't want it accidently activated.

Have passengers sit only in appropiate seats--not with extremities overboard or on the bow..

Before you venture out on the water, do take at least a coast guard aux course--better yet to take a Power Squadron series, including plotting and navigation.

If you have rigging which is folded or moved in trailering, check to be sure it is in place and secured.

When you are ready to leave the dock, be sure that power cords are unpluged. First turn off the breaker on the pannel and the dock before disconnecting the cords. Cast off the lines and be sure that fenders are stowed as soon as you clear the dock.

Consider filing a "Float Plan"--http://www.usps.org/o_stuff/fp_form.html
Or:
www.boatus.com/seaworthy/floatplan.asp (Click on the PDF link for the actual plan to leave with a friend.

Buy Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship. This is the "Bible". There is a shortened version--Chapman's Practical Boat handling.

Charles T Low "Boat Docking" is an excellent book.

Good boating--check the weather before you go out, and keep an eye on it!

You may want to take experienced boaters with you until you have some experience. The Ranger 25 is a great boat, but it is still a 25 footer and has limitations, especially in the bay and potato patch!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

Congratulations! What a wonderful boat for the Bay Area. It can handle the chop and swell of the bay or ocean, and yet be fuel efficient when cruising the 1000+ miles of the Delta.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: