The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Be Prepared ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom&shan

Photos: Dakota
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Be Prepared ?? Reply with quote

The U.S. Coast Guard today rescued six fishermen from a disabled vessel about 6 miles north off Kane'ohe's Mokapu Point at 6 a.m. today, a news release said.The Coast guard said the wife of one of the fishermen called the Coast Guard at 10:46 p.m. Wednesday night to report they were overdue from a day fishing trip on O'ahu's windward side. The Coast Guard was able to talk briefly with the fishermen through a cell phone and determined a general location approximately 6 miles from shore.

The fishermen reported the cell phone was running low on battery life and that they had no personal flotation devices, flares or working radio aboard their vessel.

Using GPS information provided by the cell phone company, the Coast Guard determined the general search area and coordinated with the Honolulu Fire Department on a search and rescue plan, the release said.
HFD diverted its Air One helicopter to the search area and the Coast Guard launched an HH-65 Dolphin helicopter and crew from Air Station Barbers Point. The HH-65's crew spotted the vessel at 12:29 a.m. and lowered a radio. The Coast Guard established a communications plan with the fishermen and asked them to check in periodically. The crew of the 87-foot patrol boat Ahi began making its way toward the disabled vessel's position.

Hard to belive people go out into the ocean with no working radio, flares or lifejackets.

Cheers,
Tom
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Be Prepared ?? Reply with quote

tom&shan wrote:

Hard to belive people go out into the ocean with no working radio, flares or lifejackets.

Cheers,
Tom

For some reason, there are folks who think a "local" trip doesn't require the same precautions of a longer trip. Frankly, I don't go out on any body of water without all of the above... but you'll find many (if not most) boats on lakes have no radio or flares (I'm assuming they know they have to have PFDs). Problems on the water don't care if you're on the ocean or in a lake or on a river.

Of course, when you're in Hawaii, everytime you shove off, it's an "ocean trip." Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, Journey On has life jackets and a couple of VHF radios. I'm surprised that the fisherman got through with a cell phone. I'd be surprised if you can do that in So Cal, since all the antennas point towards land.

However, let's discuss flares. I've bought my share over the years, since they're only good for a couple of years. Now that we do coastal waters, I have a red flag and a blinking red light. I believe those are equivalent to the flares, and they don't have an expiration date. Since I never used either flares, flag or flashing light, I'm not sure which is best. Hope I never find out.

Boris
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

This does not surprise me at all. I use to patrol the Nantucket Docks offering FREE VESSEL INSPECTIONS. Benefits is that the State Environmental Boat will not stop you for an equipment check. Most were not interested. Those are the ones who get into trouble.

We can not get the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to pass a boating License law. Very simple. Take a SAFE BOATING COURSE given by the USPS and the USCGAux. Also free by the Environmental Police. Pass it and get a license. So simple and it would save a lot of grief and lives.

Fred

mmitchell

City/Region: Whittier
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: ShiRoz
Photos: ShiRoz
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets see who picks up the tab?
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grown up on O'ahu and spent much time in the ocean I can say this doesn't TOTALLY surprise me. Some of the local bruddahs have boats and go fishing, but spending money on safety equipment is not high on the list of priorities. They sorta walk to a different beat there. STUPID, I know. That side of the island is the windward side (usually) and has rough seas in general so they were extremely lucky.

The one time I was out fishing at night off Kaena Point and had engine (IO) trouble I was glad the boat owner had a VHF radio & flares on board. We were adrift with no engine power and could not anchor due to the depth. He fired off two flares and soon the radio went crazy with offers of help. We were towed in to Waianae Harbor and made it home alive. Had we not had that safety equipment the next stop would'be been Samoa....

Chivita

City/Region: Hansville
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Chivita
Photos: Chivita
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locals in my area have a different name for boaters who go 6 miles out with no safety gear, crappy equipment and a cell phone as their communication device.

They call it a "recovery", as in recovering the bodies.

A rescue I am told is what they perform when the boaters have the proper gear and training.

The Coasties really prefer to perform rescues, so we've spent a great deal more on redundant safety equipment than fishing gear. Hopefully the only time our boat will have a Coastie on board is for it's annual check up!

I hope you all the same good luck!
Capn Jack

City/Region: La Conner
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Pocket Yacht
Photos: Pocket Yacht
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Flares Reply with quote

Before the Canadians went crazy on their last "Gun Control Merry-Go-Round", Sad I used to carry a Winchester 12GA. pump shotgun on board. It would hold 7 of the Olin Meteor flares and you could light up the sky with it. Smile Now I'm back to the approved S/Shot, Plastic, Pop Gun. Bummer!Crook My "Terrorist" days are over. Cry

CoolSmile Jack
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No radio. Its like the guys I towed a few months ago. they locked up the engine and waved me down. I asked if they had a radio and one of the punks, under 20, gives me a look like I'm stupid and holds out his cell "we have cell phones dude" oh yeah " know any one on a boat near by dumb A$$" Just blank look in his eyes while he trys to think, not something they teach these days. These are the same guys with a anchor but no rope.
localboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?s=8529155

Different incident. Same bad planning. These guys were actually out from the west shore. Worse. The winds/currents would take them AWAY from land. Again, local bruddahs with the "it'll never happen to me" mentality.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good idea but what is the exact definition of a "bruddah"
localboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I have a good idea but what is the exact definition of a "bruddah"

Sorry. Watch the video. You'll see.

In general, born & raised in Hawai'i, public school educated but they probably didn't graduate. They've usually spent more time surfing or hanging out than working or studying. Are fluent in "pidgeon English" and so they're verbal & written communication skills suck, which makes it difficult to get a good job. Most (not all) are blue collar workers, if they work at all. Hawai'i has a large population reliant on welfare and all that it brings. The guys in the video probably live on the Waianae Coast and as such they probably don't like outsiders much. They tend to have the "nothing bad's gonna happen" attitude.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok they are cracker. That clears it up. If they had a river they would snag fish with treble hooks. Got it.
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I just remembered a story that happened in my early twenties. My brother and I were off the North River off Scituate Mass. The visibility was not the best. A boat came out of the mist and asked where they were. The pulled out a car map. They wanted to know how to reach Boston, some 30 miles north. We pointed out Scituate Harbor and suggested they stop there first. That was only a few miles north. We never heard from them or about them afterwards. I guess they made it home.

Fred
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

76' in maryland. New guy on the dock gets invited out to the local swimming beach by my folks. He ask my dad how to get there and the old man say" lets see you chart and I will show you" out comes the place mate from a local seafood place with a map of the chesapeake bay. I was 12 and I was amazed. I didn't know they gave away free maps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: