The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fuel Gauge
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of a similar situation on my Sea Ray. Since I've owned it, the fuel gauge has always been "stuck" in the bottom 1/4 tank range, and unable to move upward, so I've had to keep track of the approximate fuel remaining in the 120 gallon gas tank.

My marine repair shop tells me (and I can see) that the fuel gauge sender is right under the companionway steps, and the only way to replace it was to cut out the 6" hole and put in an inspection port, etc.....too much trouble to be worth it (?) (Meaning, I think, they didn't want to mess with it1)

So two weeks ago, before returning the boat to the water after the annual haul-out, I added a bunch of fuel additives and stabilizers in preparation for the trip back to the lake and the fill up at gas station prices ($1.50/gallon less than the marina.)

Then, to my surprise, after adding 80 gallons to top off the tank a day or two later, the gauge breaks loose and registers FULL!

The (apparent) magic formula: (RECIPE for STICKEY GAS FUEL GAUGES)

1 can Berryman B-12 carb/fuel injector cleaner

1 can SeaFoam Carbon/Fuel Injector/Carburetor cleaner

1 can Chevron Techron Fuel Additive (Carbon cleaner, mostly)

1 giant bottle of Stabil gas stabilizer

1 big bottle Marvel Mystery Oil

Add to tank and let stand overnight or for a couple of days before refilling tank.

Apparently eats through gunk and frees sticky do-dads. (Or the freed gas gauge sender unit may just be entirely coincidental.)

Fortunately/unfortunately, my twin V-6's are carbuerated, so some gunk passes through them that might escape through the fuel filters.

Finally, a success story worth mentioning!

YMMV (Your mileage may vary.)

Joe. Laughing

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: