The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

prepurchase questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red99ryder

City/Region: Jackson
State or Province: MS
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: prepurchase questions Reply with quote

I went to look at a 16 cruiser the other day and noticed a few things that i would like a second opinion on ,

1. there was a good size gash in the side about 2-3 inches long and you could tell it went thru the gel coat and could see the fiberglass underneath .. it did appear to be above the water line .

2. it looked like there was some flaking on the inside of the cabin , like the paint was coming off .

3. the motor is a 50hp Honda and the cover was off and computer module taken out ( is there a issue with these ?)

4 a few scratches else where ,, normal wear and tear ,,

The boat is a 2004 model , with standard setup , radio , anchor , trailer , camper back , some mold on the seats and hull ( black spotty )
the guys asking 15k which i think he will come down a bit .. the gash scares me if there would be a water problem with the core down the road ..
Thanks for any advise ..Man the boat sure looks bigger in the pictures than in person ,
Red
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side is not cored. Only the bottom is (plus some parts of the cabin wall and top). Just glass exposed can be easily repaired and should not be structural.

The other items show that the boat has not been well cared for--so I would look for a price reduction....Strange to have the module off the engine.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a used 16 Wefing has my old boat a 2006 which is good shape and I don't think they are asking a lot more than the price you quoted. Give Charlie at Wefings a call they aren't to terrible far from you.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, As above mentioned, I think you'd be better off traveling a bit further and paying a bit more and getting a well cared for boat. Yes, it's possible to repair all that stuff, but you could be in for some real surprises, esp. with that partially deconstructed motor... that raises red flags to me, as does the mold on the upholstery... It does not take much to prevent or fix mold spots, so it looks like that owner has done very little to take care of the boat you mention.

Maybe with a prior to purchase good mechanical review and a steep discount, it'd be OK.

John
Socrateur

City/Region: Danville
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could this be a boat that was damaged in the recent hurricane? Sounds like it could have been banged up and left wet for a period after the storm.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many red flags on this one. I'd pass unless the price was radically reduced.
red99ryder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: thanks for the input Reply with quote

Marvin , they did contact me about that boat at Wefing and i have looked at pics of the c-flea? I might try and ride down to the get together this month and check it out , would like to see a 22 ft in person as well , but i am really leaning on small .. I just want to use it here on the lakes and maybe out to ship island on the coast and i think a 16 should handle that well ..
Thanks all for your input
red
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come down at the time of the gulf coast gathering--only a couple of weeks away--you might even tow a boat back home.

The 16 should be OK for Ship Island on a calm day. The only concern would be how much speed you could make once it got rough. The 16 is a great boat--but it still is only a 16 footer, so you do have to watch the weather. The 22 is a lot more boat, and you can still tow it behind a number of vehicles. Some folks start out thinking that a 16 is what they want, then a 19 and finally end up with a 22.
red99ryder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: passed on the 16 cruiser Reply with quote

I am now looking at a 19ft Arima Sea Chaser ( i know its not a C-dory lol) Im not sure i would use a cuddy cabin to sleep in anyway ,, Any thoughts on this boat ? its a 2001 model and the pics look good , will be going to see it in a couple weeks .
Thanks for all the input
red
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Arima Reply with quote

Red,

The Arima is a great boat, but it ain't a CDory. I had an Arima 17 Ranger. The cuddy on the Chaser is much smaller than the Ranger, and they are both small. Go for a Ranger if you do. I really like the Arima 21 hardtop.

They do take more engine due to the deep vee, and they are primarily a fishing boat (but a really nice one), not a cruising boat.

Send Dusty a PM. He is a wealth of information about both Arima's and CDory's.

Steve

mailbox101

City/Region: Pacifica
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Blue Eagle
Photos: Blue-Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even on an older boat, the items you listed indicate someone who does not properly care for their it, and this boat is only four years old. This sounds like one abused boat. The engine in particular worries me. What else did this hack do, or not do, to the engine; or the rest of the boat for that matter? If the stuff you can see has this many maintenance issues, what about the stuff you can't see, like proper engine break-in and oil changes? The gash and excessive mold make me wonder if it could be hurricane salvage. I would run, not walk, from this deal.

David B.
red99ryder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: thanks Steve /David Reply with quote

Steve , Well , its a used boat so i kinda don't have a choice for cabin ..I am going to have to settle for the chaser , there are not alot of Amira's or Cdory's around these parts (Mississippi) , i still work for a living so wont be taking long cruises , just weekends fishing , maybe some scuba diving . if the cockpit is as big as i here it is I guess i could pitch a tent and put a air mattress down for a night or two at a time lol I am still kinda fond of Hotel rooms too lol . I will give Dusty a PM , was Kinda wondering if there were any Gotch ya's on the Boat Certain things to look for That could be a problem . it will be a couple weeks before i can go see it , I did Talk to the Guy and he said he would hold it ( hes gonna be out of town so its kinda him putting it off not me )

David , I did pass on the 16 , your right on on your comments . I just sold a sailboat and listed the ad as needs cleaned up , the guy that runs the board i listed it on sent me a message back to clean up my boat lol I did clean it up and the first person that looked at it bought it ..

thanks for the input guys
Red
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Arima Reply with quote

Red,

Sounds like a Chaser 19 might just be a good boat for you. I really liked my Ranger, but a Ranger 17 is too small to fish more than a couple of people with comfort. I think that the boat you're looking at will be a lot roomier.

My Arima was a 1990, and had wood bulkheads, etc. The biggest complaint I had was that the screws for the hinges on the cuddy door kept backing out. I also had a gripe about the ez steer for the kicker, but there isn't much you can do about that unless you put a remote on the kicker.

I did re-power from an Evinrude 90, to a Honda, with a Honda 8 kicker too. Over the life of the boat (sold in 2005/6), I probably saw about a $3,000 dollar depreciation from what I paid for it, including the re-power expenses.

Earlier this year, we were 63 miles offshore in an Arima 21. The seas on this coast are not the easiest, but I never have felt concern in the Arimas.

I think you'll be happy with the boat. Hopefully it has a good 4 stroke on it.

Steve
red99ryder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Arima Reply with quote

Well that is one thing , it does not have a four stroke , Its a 2001 Model with a 1998 yamaha 150 hp salt series oil injected . I have not gotten the story of why the motor is older than the boat . motor was rebuilt in 2003 is all I know . I do think the price reflects the fact that is has a two stroke on it. Im scared to say the price you might steal it on me lol Actually you can see the listing on the Arima owners MSN site , No pics listed but he sent me some and it looks good in pics . And he did say he would hold it until i got there so leave it alone till i get a crack at it . I would post the pics but it doesnt look like im set up too
Ted
[/img]
Capt. Jim

City/Region: Lafayette
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cajun Dory
Photos: Cajun Dory
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1997 17 Arima Sea Ranger is available if you are interested. It has a 2002 90 Suzuki 4-stroke. Price is $12,500. It has to go so I can keep the
C-Dory.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: