The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

How important is four-wheel-drive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: 4 whl drive Reply with quote

If you haven't bought a truck yet? We bought a Honda Pilot 4whl drive instead of the Ridgeline another good option Both of these have 4whl drive . YOU will appreciate the 4whl option when it's low tide and your truck is sliding into the water .
If you do decide on a 2whl drive make sure it has the traction lock , posi-traction or limited slip optiion .Good Luck on your decision

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my tow vehicles a Jeep Cherokee and 3/4 ton Ford Diesel are 4 wheel drive and I wouldn't be without it. I seldom need it but when I do I really need it. One ramp close to my house is impossible without 4 wheel drive. Their are a few beaches still left I go to where you are allowed to drive on with four wheel drive and having four wheel drive makes these accessible where without they wouldn't be. Their really isn't much difference today in the fuel usage between 4 wheel and non 4 wheel drive. In the Ford trucks the tow rating is slightly lower on a four wheel drive model than the two wheel drive.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '03 Expedition with 4WD. Best decision I ever made. After owning 14 previous trailerable boats, pulling on all sorts of ramps and conditions, this made the whole effort a "non-event." I appreciate the 4 wheel LOW range just about as much as the 4WD. I essentially idle (or just above) the boat out of the water. Of course my boat & trailer combo weigh ~7,500 lbs, about 50%+ more than a 22. I still get 19-20mpg on the highway non-towing.

My 2c. Go for it.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm firmly in the 4WD camp, there's another option - 2WD with a winch.

Certainly not as convenient as 4WD, if simply dealing with a slippery ramp. However, there are situations where it will get you out where 4WD won't. It's also less expensive than the 4WD upgrade paid at purchase time, won't hit your fuel mileage like 4WD will, and 2WD typically rides much nicer.

If going this route, you can't beat a Milemarker hydraulic unit...they're very light compared to electric units, and will work all day at full strength without taxing your battery. You'll also find they come in very handy for many tasks, beyond extracting one's vehicle from a stuck situation.

And, iffin' one gets a fancy shmancy bumper to go along with it, you get much more respect at redneck bars... Mr. Green

bjidzik

City/Region: Juneau
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Betty Joe
Photos: Betty Joe
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately get a 4x4. It's better to have it & not need it, than to need it & not have it.

For trailering, I stay in 2w drive. When launching or recovering on a ramp, I switch to 4W drive. Once off the ramp, I go back to 2W drive.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
While I'm firmly in the 4WD camp, there's another option - 2WD with a winch.

Bill, is that an ARB bumper you have? How do you like it?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing which may be missed in all of this, is that there are a number of vehicles short of 3/4 ton trucks which will work fine for the C Dory 22 and still have four wheel drive. For the 25 , Tom Cat, and the Ranger 25--you need a bigger vehicle.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, gotta challenge you on that last part! Our Nissan Titan, a four wheel drive half-ton truck with tow package, handles our CD25 just fine.

thataway wrote:
The thing which may be missed in all of this, is that there are a number of vehicles short of 3/4 ton trucks which will work fine for the C Dory 22 and still have four wheel drive. For the 25 , Tom Cat, and the Ranger 25--you need a bigger vehicle.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Da Nag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Bill, is that an ARB bumper you have? How do you like it?

Nope. Custom made by an outfit in Sonora, CA - ProZap Manufacturing. No web site, far as I know.

Most standard winch bumpers are way overbuilt, since most are designed for electric winches - which weigh significantly more than a hydraulic. Having a bumper custom built with the hydraulic winch in mind, kept the front end height unchanged with stock suspension...the entire setup only weighs about 50 lbs. over stock. Makes a big difference on an F250 front end.

Also, if you look closely just below the roller fairlead, you can see the front mounted hitch I had them integrate into the setup. It's invaluable when pushing a trailer around in tight spaces.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny winch story, an unnamed person (my brother) decided to unroll his cable on an ele winch while waiting for someone. He’s in the woods and on a slight hill. The hardest part of wrapping a steel cable on a drum is keeping enough tension on it. So park on a hill and tie off the hook end of the line to a tree put the truck in neutral and stand in front of the truck with a remote. Now first thing first is to unroll the cable. Just hit the button on the remote and watch the cable slowly unroll. once you get to the end you can reverse the drum and slowly wrap the cable back on with the weight of the truck keeping the cable tight, If the cable end is connected to the drum............. Shocked cable got to the end and came right off the drum and the truck rolled down the hill and into a tree. The unnamed brother had to run to the truck and try to jump thru the window, if you have seen my gravity challenged brother ( 250) the idea of him jumping thru a door let alone a window of a moving truck will bring tears to your eyes. Cry Cry Cry
garyk

City/Region: Ketchum
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: AMIGO 11
Photos: Amigo II
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: How important is four wheel drive Reply with quote

Four wheel drive is a great asset IF you have it. Lots of C-Brats may not have the luxury. I carry a 25 foot, one inch nylon rope,with 24 inches of 5/16th chain spliced on each end with an approperate hook. Most of the time there will be some one at the ramp that would be happy to show you how great their 4 wheel whatever can pull you up the ramp.
As for sand, I lived and windsurfed in Mexico for 10 years most of us had 4 wheel drive Jeeps or Broncos. It was amazing to see Mexican cars and 2 wheel drive pickups driving on very soft sand where it was a chore for a newbe with 4 wheel drive to operate on the same beach. The trick, lower the pressure in all four tires to 10 psi. I've seen pick up trucks draging 20 foot Pongas up a very soft beach. Be sure to go back to normal pressure when reurning to hard surface. We used a dive air tank for this purpose.
Gary
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A winch should be a standard feature on all Ford trucks, just like the extra hood latches that come standard. Laughing
Da Nag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita Marie wrote:
A winch should be a standard feature on all Ford trucks, just like the extra hood latches that come standard. Laughing

Of all the photo opportunities I've missed, in the top 5 would be my Powerstroke pulling a certain Cummins powered 4WD Dodge Dually from being stuck in the mud.

I'll not name the affected party. Unlike you Froderick, he's not deserving of such public humiliation. Twisted Evil
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years of watching launch/retrieve fiascos, the last thing I would want to do on a launch ramp is ask someone to tow me out or look for a post to attach my winch cable to. There are usually people waiting to launch and they're usually impatient. Bottom line, Get the 4X4!

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
garyk

City/Region: Ketchum
State or Province: ID
Vessel Name: AMIGO 11
Photos: Amigo II
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: How important is four-wheel-drive? Reply with quote

Roger,
I agree most people would be at the end of their rope (pun intended) if they had to wait while some greenhorn without four wheel drive got in over their head at the launch ramp.(Oops, I did it again) I might get a free beer if I came to the rescue with a quick tow. My suggestion was not to buy a two wheel drive and a tow rope, but to be prepared in the event you do get on a slick ramp with a two wheel drive. Patience's would really be strained if the "stuckee" had to go through the "waitees" and ask if anyone had a tow rope
.Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: