The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

is the 22' right for me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, good to know. I've got so many electronic gadgets on my shelf that I'd never be able to give it up. Do you have any pictures?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom and Charlie-

I have a manual wiper on my 22 which has a fixed window. Absolutely great in a driving rain, even with electrics on the other two windows.

The electric one won't work on the center one because the motor won't fit where it has to at the top or bottom due to the shelf above and the tray below. Might work without the top shelf as Larry has done.

My manual wiper pivots on the left side, about 4 1/2 inches down from the corner. Would have put it on the right side, but the massive wiring harness from the shelf electronics comes down right at the side where the hole would go.

Ken (BC) has a manual wiper on an opening front center window set up in such as way that the window opens just fine by simply swinging the wiper off the frame, if I remember the conversation from last year correctly. He will soon be along to clarify this. There is a photo in his album of this set up here:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Blue~C&id=wipe3&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

HTH. Happy New Year! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: udate on possible purchase Reply with quote

Well, thanks for all the advice and good humor.
I'm off to the Baltimore Boat Show to talk to Cutter Marine, in late January.
I think I have my specs in order now and will post the updated list of options for comment soon.
RE: camper back. Does it have to stay up all the time? Or, can just the top cover be used without the sides at times. The thunderstorms on the Chesapeake with winds sometimes of 40 and 50 might preclude leaving it up. How is it mounted?

tom/ terraplane
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I've just got a bimini on Capt's Choice but a camper back is a bimini with sides... The sides can be solid, screened, clear, zippered or snap on, etc. As many types as you can think of ideas for. The frame is either stainless or aluminum and it fits in sockets or on the hardware you can buy for rails, etc.

It can cover the whole cockpit back over the motor well or just back to the motor well, lots of styles. King Canvas on the West Coast is the best known of the makers, you can see their work on the CD factory website.

Not sure who makes them here on the right coast but the folks at Cutter can tell you and I'm sure others will chime in.

Good luck..Charlie
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I have a 22 from Cutter purchased in 11/03. My suggestion for cockpit cover is to mount it with stainless hardware as the stainless stuff is significantly more robust. Also, a zipper installed within a couple inches of the cabin top mounting track will enable you to unzip the top and drop it in a hurry. Otherwise the entire top must be slid out of the mounting track. Look up the canvas top installation on DaNag. This installation appears well thought out and well executed. Cutter did not do the canvas installation nor would they recommend an installer. I did order mine from King and had it installed by a local installer. The canvas top is a trade off between protection when the environment turns harsh and added complication in storage, cleaning, erecting and collapsing the top.
Mike 'Levity'
terraplane

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: some more questions for 22 c dory purchase Reply with quote

OK, getting close. Got a contract today from Cutter with the detailed list of options, etc.
Question: I've ordered the windlass..Delta, and it comes with chain ...is that a good idea. Here on the bay ,with eight boats, i've always had about 20 feet of chain , then line. Comments?

Never had towed a boat...how big a vehicle do i need? I have a Subaru Forester, automatic, rated for 2,000 pounds towing.

Any help appreciated.

tom,/terraplane
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, with our soft bottom on the bay(not mine personally mind you Moon ), that amount of chain is fine. I've only got about 10 ft with 150 ft of 1/2" nylon rode. No windlass. Never had a problem with anchoring anywhere around the bay area.

The Forrester won't cut it Thumbs Down . A fully loaded CD 22 on either a single axle or double axle trailer will go 4000- 5000 pounds Smile . There is lots of traffic on the site about towing weights, do a search on some of the words. I tow with a 3/4 ton Dodge V-10, admittedly an overkill but I also tow a 28' camping trailer that goes about 11,000. That truck doesn't know the CD is there when I tow it Laughing .

Here's your chance to buy a new vehicle too! What could be better! Almost any of the mid size SUVs will do the trick, half ton pickups, etc. Go for it. Keep us posted and come see us down on the Potomac.

Charlie
terraplane

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: anchor/towing Reply with quote

Thanks Charlie, Suspected as much about the Forester.

Cutter says the rode of chain helps balance the boat, that without it the bow tends to be a bit up in the air. I agree about the Bay...have never needed more than what i described, even in an emergency.

I've been up the Potomac many times...in my old slow boas. We make a trip of it, from Rock Hall to DC, with stops at Tilgman, Deal Island, Solomons, St. Mary's City, then up the rivere, with one overnight somewhere on the Potomac before DC. With a c dory, even at 6kit, this will be an express trip!

tom
terraplane

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: terraplane places 22 order! Reply with quote

Today I placed my order with Cutter Marine, Chesapeake Bay, for a C.Dory, 22....nicely equipped, as they would say.

Will take delivery in early April, giving me time to sell my children, my mother in law and my priest to get the money! (Just kidding).

Thanks to all of you who were kind enough to give me advice. I am constantly telling people about this site, even if they are not C Dory owners...great humor, great boating advice, and nice people.

tom/terraplane
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Tom,

Keep us posted. We have photo gremlins over here near the factory that can snap a picture.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: anchor/towing Reply with quote

We too have a Forester and were planning to take our boat home with it...a friend suggested we check the manual for towing capacity, and as you have discovered, a C-Dory requires about double the towing capacity of a Forester. So we dashed out and bought a used Expedition, the new roof will have to a wait a few more years...

terraplane wrote:
Thanks Charlie, Suspected as much about the Forester.

tom

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Look forward to cruising with you sometime this spring or summer!
Best wishes,

Crab Cake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: New CD 22 Reply with quote

Hi Tom,
We also boat out of Rock Hall and like you I've been looking
at CD 22's. If we get really serious I may pick your brain
a bit to gain from your experience. The feedback on this board
is great and really gives you things to consider before putting
down the bucks. Good luck with your new purchase. By the
way, are you the one who said blue was a bad c-bay color?
Would love to hear more on that! Steve / crab cake Beer
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom (Terraplane), don't sell the kids and mother-in-law Laughing , or maybe just the MIL, why don't you get one of those new life insurance policies like I got.

They gave me the money now and when I die, the kids have to pay it back.... Twisted Evil

They seem to be suddenly worried about my welfare.... Laughing
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, another comment, just went back and read the thread...

Wait on all the chain. My boat sits with the bow slightly down, even without all the chain. I don't have the midships bilge pump and I get water in the cabin, or did until I put a plug in the drain hole between the cabin and the cockpit. A pain to drain/soak up after a rainstorm. A bit more down by the stern would be fine for me. Once I get underway, the water runs aft, and the pump takes it right out.

You really don't need much chain for the bay anyway.

Charlie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: