The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

how about that stock market
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife reminds me of the things Bill wrote about being really important, and I, of course, agree, but I can't quite easily accept the legitimacy and necessity of some of the events that are happening to us in the world, much of which is perpetrated by our own greedy people and our implicit stupidity in accepting it without reasonable response and recourse, and even going so far as to give them more of our own and future generations tax money as a reward, fearing even worse consequences if we don't.

If some street gang of thugs came up to you on the corner and forced you to go to your bank and withdraw $150,000 for their weekend party, you' d scream bloody murder and call the cops.

If the boys on Wall Street and Washington perform a similar stunt, we are told it was only a "paper loss" and to sit tight so they can do it to us again down the road. So when's the next time we get to bend over and pick up the soap?

Even more disturbing is the changing position of America on the world stage, but no one wants to seriously discuss it as long as they have their own butts covered with enough greenbacks to see themselves safely into the grave.

So who cares if there's a world-wide economic depression and re-alignment of wealth, economic and political power? Is there beer in the fridge?

Joe Disgust

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: how about that stock market Reply with quote

Joe,
Everyone has a different view I guess and thats the really great thing about this country. But rather than taking a walk in the park, listening to music or enjoying the family; why not call or write your senators and congressman about what just went on in the banking industry. Some people did some really slimy bank moves, sold worthless paper secured with worthless mortgages etc. and now the taxpayers are paying once again, does that make you a little upset? Sure this was fueled by greed and people who were not credit worthy, and no one seems to be taking much in the way of responsiblity but there really ought to be at least some stop gap measures to prevent anymore bonuses or money spent on lavish trips, paychecks to worthless executives by companies operating now on taxpayers money. The people who have done everything right and paid the bills, taxes and their dues deserve better than what they are getting. Sorry for the rant but sometimes it helps in a democracy if you actually take part in the process at least a little bit. Hooray for me the hell with you is how we got here in the first place.
D.D.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm embarrassed to say I know very little about this and have actually learned more from this website than the media but I'm appalled at the recent get away weekend that was just reported. Why aren't these people that participated in JAIL! The Department of Labor has been really aggressive in investigating Labor Unions over the last 8 years. No small surprise here but where were/are they in investigating these autrocites committed against the American Tax Payer. These CEO's are thumbing there nose's at us. These guys are profitting from a disaster that has driven our country into even deeper bankruptcy. Dave I will write my Congressman and Senators thanks for the suggestion. Perhaps we need demonstrations at our state capitals but in todays climate you could easily be arrested for terrorism.
mbwf

City/Region: West Chester
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Tugger Toy
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . and according to the news this morning, the same company recently bailed out by the government, is sponsoring ANOTHER retreat at a large resort in California.

As a hobby, I make quilts for family and friends. We have a saying, "when life throws you scraps, make a quilt." Instead of watching TV, I'm going to my studio and sewing away. Someone I know will benefit from my labor and will be a little warmer this winter. And that makes me happy! It truely is the little things in life that make it worth living.
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbwf wrote:
. . . and according to the news this morning, the same company recently bailed out by the government, is sponsoring ANOTHER retreat at a large resort in California.

As a hobby, I make quilts for family and friends. We have a saying, "when life throws you scraps, make a quilt." Instead of watching TV, I'm going to my studio and sewing away. Someone I know will benefit from my labor and will be a little warmer this winter. And that makes me happy! It truely is the little things in life that make it worth living.

Great point as a hobby I make rope hammocks and cast nets. Heven't made one in years and the stress level is building so... it's time to make a hammock. Maybe by the time I tie the last knot this crisis will be over and another will begin...
patrick and linda

City/Region: somerset
State or Province: KY
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Fan-A-Sea"
Photos: Misty Seas
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrdman and his wife are in a bar having a late night drink. byrdman looks at his wife and says, look at that old couple at the end of the bar, do you think that will be us in twenty years? his wife says, you idiot, that's a mirror, it is us.
where have the years gone and how have of goals changed!
bill (da nag) AND HIS PARTNER, who's name escapes me, have a way of honing in on the true value of life, without regard to one's net worth.
here, here!
pat
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like quite a few others we saw this crises coming like a tsunami several years ago and put our financial house in order the best we could before the waves starting rolling in and our heads are not presently buried in the sand singing cuumbaya through a straw. We continue to adjust our plans for the future with the reality of what has already taken place and our best estimate of whats to come.

The tendency of many is to rant, rage and point out all those to blame without ever looking in the mirror and seeing who may well be the most guilty culprit. We as a society have either been on or allowed this extended unpaid binge and most of us have benefited from it, but now the piper is demanding his due.

Love the boom hate the bust. We are likely staring into the start of another great depression or maybe even worse and for most of the same reasons and I can't see where anything was learned from the last one. Seems I remember something about if you don't learn from it your going to repeat it and its very apparent there's very few history buffs among us. I do believe it likely the ship as we know it is in the process of going down, but I will not let that stop me from enjoying life and making the best out of what ever is ahead.

Jay

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sign on lawn on way to the boat yesterday

"to a wise person, 'enough' is abundance"

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of how much personal happiness or worth have have, I don't take it lightly when so many of my countrymen turn into ruthless, immoral, and greedy criminals and thoughtless and irresponsible politicians that sacrifice all the values and progress that this nation and it's people have made over the past 350 years.

I really don't care if we are the number one power in the world, nor the wealthiest nation, nor the world's policeman, but I do care if the average Americans' indifference to such developments in a changing world make it impossible to continue our journey towards reasonable freedom, justice, and equality for our people.

We have served as a noble example to the world of what can be accomplished through democracy and free enterprise. Why give that up for an image of a nation of hoodlums, bullies, and clowns? Do you have any idea of how America's image in the world has changed over the past few decades?

Joe. Angry
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

MartyP
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another big hit on the market today... well below 9,000 for the first time in years. Over 5,000 point drop since the high. My take is that people are fed up... individual investors no longer trust fund managers... there's probably very little trust for anyone in the financial/investment business, in fact.

Until the perceptions of greed and incompetence are purged, I don't think you'll see many people anxious to get back in the market.
dotnmarty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Slump? I ain't in no slump... I just ain't hittin'."
Yogi Berra

MartyP
Westfield 11

City/Region: Woodland Hills
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a guy with a Bush/Cheney 2004 bumper sticker today at the gas station. I motioned to his bumper and asked "How's that been workin' out for you?" for some reason he got all bent out of shape with me....
Not a C-Dory owner but a lover of the forum and the spirit of adventure found here. This is the best small boat cruising resource I have found to date. The travelogues are very inspirational and a great reminder of why we go down to the sea in ships (or small boats).
MikeMac

City/Region: Stafford
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: MikeMac
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Stock Market Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Well the market was down again today, but I find that drinking Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial India Pale Ale makes it much more palatable. I ran into a buddy of mine who grew up in Argentina today. He thought there was really nothing to worry about, He thinks this is a great country, and these problems shall soon pass. He's seen much worse and he's probably right.

Best wishes to all,

Mike
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever that was that said we are in a Great Depression - it will be interesting this time around having all these communication capabilities. If the systems stay up.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Rangers, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: