The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Balsa Core Construction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhnboat

City/Region: central florida, east coast
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I've got a 2001 22 Cruiser and have been lurking for a few years now.
Great site; I've used lots of the advice I've read.

Thought I would mention my only serious repair or fix I've had to do so far: one of the screws for the fuel tank strap and tank restraints (whatever you call them) had worked loose. After removing a few screws I found water in the balsa. Ended up removing both tanks and all screws going into the deck. Found water in 3 or 4. Did the drilling, routing out balsa, and epoxy bedding with lots of 5200 as others were recommending. The worst ones had water maybe an inch out from the screw holes. Used an allen wrench in a slow speed drill to route out balsa until I got to clean, dry wood. Also did the aft bilge pump just for kicks (it was fine).

It looks pretty solid now; hopefully it is. Seems like epoxy bedding these screws would be a good thing for the factory to do from a load bearing view. By the way, the balsa core is pretty thick - about 1 1/2 inches. I found it pretty interesting looking at it from the inside. Kind of nerve wracking too with that drill in my hand!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: