The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

lazarette on port side
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldgrowth,
I had thought of trying to pull the corners back into alignment with a similar system. But the underside of the hatch is ribbed with about 5/8" thin plastic ribs. The actual top is very thin and depends on the ribbing for stability. Would be tough if not impossible to glue. Also not sure if glue would adhere to the plastic.

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomar must know it leaks and their answer to the problem is to introduce a new access hatch that covers the groove so any moisture runs off the lid rather than into the lazerette..... I think the only true answer to stoping the leak it to replace the hatch with the "New Improved" unit.... kinda galls me to pay $52 each for the cure....

Joel
SEA3PO
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
kinda galls me to pay $52 each for the cure....

It ain't that so much as what it'll cost to get the old hatches loose! Looks like they were bedded in 5200. Cry
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting the 5200 is not a problem.... some monofilament fishing line will cut through that stuff fairly easy... and I probably will do it...

I think we all should protest to Bomar... they obviously know it was defective if we all have the same problem....it's not C-Dorys problem... they put the best available on our boats... and when our boat were built the "new" hatches were not available...
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the REALLY OLD hatch covers- HDPE plastic C-Dory made doors inset in the fiberglass hull top with recessed groves for the doors and gaskets! (cira 1987)

Will probably have to order hatches larger than the whole molded in recesses and have the new hatches cover everything.

Will have the choice of simply covering over the entire opening intact or cutting a new hole larger than the old.....?

If I decide to cut, it could be with a ........

1.Saber saw? 2. Roto-Zip tool? 3. Pneumatic die grinder/cut off tool?
4. Sawsall? 5. Suggestions???

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I decide to cut, it could be with a ........

1.Saber saw? 2. Roto-Zip tool? 3. Pneumatic die grinder/cut off tool?
4. Sawsall? 5. Suggestions???

I have a chain saw you can borrow. Wink Wink

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is primarily intended for those of you have an older model 22 like mine ('87) just to share possible solutions.)

I went up to the lake today to vist the boat and look at the lazarette and measure it for hatch replacement on my '87 cruiser with the old style hatches.

I was surprised to find out the hatches are:

1. Much larger than I remember- 12'W x 15'L + 1/4 inch extra clearance between lids and recesses.

2. Almost completely filling the top of the lazarette surface area to the edges- no room to add larger hatch with lip seal.

3. So placed that I will have to work with existing lids.

4. Set up with recessed rubber seal with faulty cut outs in corners that can be at least partially sealed with silicone, which I did.

5. Probabaly able to be sealed more tightly by replacing the faulty latches with a tight latch of some type-- I have a sliding type door latch of aluminum alloy intended for Dutch doors that may be workable.

6. Can probably drill hole lower in the standpipe base and threaded collar around entrance/drain tube with a small diameter drill to drain locker (live well) more throughly without destroying threads or seal. I want to drain this good during storage, even though it's flooded during some types of usage.

7. Still believe condensation will be a problem, but I can add a baffled ventilator tube or simply prop the hatch open somewhat during storage to dry the area out more throughly between uses.

8. If necessary, a solar fan could be added to the lid to aid in drying out the chamber

9. I'll also investigate the possibility of adding a second overlapping seal around the edges of the existing lids.

I'll take this step by step, (the conservative approach), adding each modification one at a time and then checking the progress before going on to the next one.

I'll keep you posted from time to time.

Joe.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
Bomar must know it leaks and their answer to the problem is to introduce a new access hatch that covers the groove so any moisture runs off the lid rather than into the lazerette..... I think the only true answer to stoping the leak it to replace the hatch with the "New Improved" unit.... kinda galls me to pay $52 each for the cure....

Joel
SEA3PO

Before this thread is lost to antiquity, Joel, can you tell me the model number of the new improved unit? Is it the same hole size as the existing ones?

And also, those of you who were intending to pressurize your lazarette to determine where it leaks, what have you learned?

TX
Al

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I always thought those were uninsulated on board beer coolers.... Beer Neat read..... maybe Factory Guy Jeff M & Bomar could do a batch purchase..... We do gathering sign up list.... guess the owners of the older not improved hatches could sign up for a "yes -want new hatches" gathering...? Of course it is the guys who do not have to do any of the work that come up with these brainstorms... Idea Smile
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: lazarette leak Reply with quote

Why not test the leaky gasket theory before ordering new hatches? A job for old reliable rocket tape (duct tape, duck tape, or whatever you want to call it). Seal the edges, seal the latch, let it rain or pour water over it and check for leaks.
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was filling with water while in storage in the back yard.....just from rain sitting in the groove ..... I don't think these hatches were intended to be mounted flat....
While at Lake Powell Chris (Rana Verde) replaced Bill and El's hatch with one of the new ones he bought at West Marine .... $51.99 in the catalog...WM only had one in stock so he was only able to replace one...but ordered more...WM was supposed to have 30 more real soon...probably now they have them...
The new hatches fit in the existing hole perfectly...only the screw holes have to be redrilled in the boat....Chris used a putty knife and a hammer to lift the old hatch...removing the old sealant.

Joel
SEA3PO
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...it was nice while it lasted. I was concerned that the new hatch was not as heavily built as the old hatch...and sure enough...the new hatch has already failed. The hinge on the new is plastic...the old hinge made of metal. Guess it's back to the drawing board on this problem.
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW !! I always thought Bomar was a premium manufacturer...kinda like the BMW of marine stuff.....most of their stuff is super quality..I am suprised....Take it back to West Marine and raise hell.. they should know and so should Bomar...

I was already to order two for myself.... think I will now have to rethink that one.. Thanks Chris

Joel
SEA3PO
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent Bomar an e-mail...telling them about the problem...they should know....they are a quality manufacturer...I would never expect them to ever sell anything that was not quality.
We all should complain about poor quality....C-Dory built the boats with the best available.... they diden't go cheep... they paid for the best...and if the stuff leaks or breaks...we all should complain to Bomar..

Joel
SEA3PO
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 'new' Bomar 'improved' hatch is secured with duct tape holding down the cover over the failed plastic hinges to keep the lid from blowing off as we trailer. Urg! But the duct tape sure works!! And the hatch is probably water proof ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: