The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tandem vs. Single Axle
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... I've always been under the impression that as long as the tires don't show any damage or "sunburn", they would be fine. I just did some googling, and there is a lot of info out there about tire longetivity, and new studies to see just how long a tire should be good for. That being said, while I've never had problems like this before with many more years on a tire, it may just possibly be it reached the end of it's serviceable life. I may be needing to replace the other 3 tires sooner than later. For now I will probably continue to just maintain my tires, and be glad I have a tandem axle trailer, and carry a good spare! (At least it and the one I just replaced are less than a year old! Confused
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I understand is similar to what you are finding: it's all about age (i.e. date code on the tire, not when they were sold or mounted). I'm sure that tires left outside in the sun could deteriorate faster, but I don't believe that a "good looking" tire means it's good if it's old.

From what I read, replacing at five years for non-trailer tires (say, an RV) is a pretty much for sure a safe bet. Going seven years... some people do. Some companies say you can go up to ten years with regular inspection (i.e. by tire professionals; not sure what they do).

I've heard that with the lesser quality of "today's" trailer tires, three years may be better, but I haven't substantiated it. I figure that (presuming they last that long) I will replace mine in the 3-5 year range, but no longer.

I have found that it pays to check the date codes on new tires before purchasing, because some are a bit "aged" even in the store.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two numbers after DOT indicate where the tire is made: Most tires for trailers are made in China, including Goodyear Marathons. There are a few tires made in the US,(--Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear and Cooper are amoung those who produce the most--) but one has to know the codes since all of these companies make tires in Asia and other areas also. There are over 900 tire producers in the world--the vast majority are in china. You can look up on the internet "Tire Code" if you wish to find out where the tires are made that you use. The first 110 manufacturers 90% are made in China. Are they equal to those made in the US? I don't know--but they don't seem to last as long.

Unfortunately the tire warehouses will release the oldest tires first, so you may get a tire which is two or three years old right off the bat.

Colby--if you sent any time on the RV or trailer towing forums you will find that 5 years is the safest--some go up to 7 years--but if you are pushing 10 I would say that is very foolish. It is more dangerous to have tires which might blow on a steer axle of a large truck or RV. This is why when tractors for On the Road trucks are advertised they will often have "virgin Rubber" XX year on the steer axle. It doesn't take a lot to flip a boat with a blowout at 60 mph. If you are just going to and from a ramp 5 miles away--you most likely can get away with older tires.

I have Michelin tire with less than 8,000 miles blow--and I had checked the pressure that AM before I started the trip. Michelin denied any claim even though the tire was less than a year on the truck.

Talk to Charlie about the tires on the trailer I sold him with the Tom Cat. I suggested that we replace the tires because they were 5 years old. He didn't think that was necessary, until two of them blew about 900 miles up the road....

Perhaps keeping the vehicle out of smog, and ozone, totally protected from UV light, at a constant temp and filling only dry nitrogen might prolong the life of a tire. But I have seen many tires which look to be perfect--no sign of weathering blow.

Running trailer tires-especially single axle more than 5 years old on the highway is tempting fate.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we had our motorhome, we put a lot of mileage on it, so replaced the tires after about 3 or 4 years. My trailers are a little different story. They get a lot of use, but not necessarily the same amount of mileage. Because of the maintenance I follow, I will likely wait 7 years before thinking about replacing them....unless they blow out sooner. Rolling Eyes I wish now I would have looked closer at the inside of that tire that blew. Might have been worthwhile knowing what condition it was in from the inside out. Colby
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, has the dead horse walked in yet? If so, let's start beating it!
Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching for info about adding an axle to a trailer and found this thread.

Looks like we need another C-Brat emoticon.

thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that almost all of the 19's are on single axle trailers. The addition of an axle and tires with brakes depends on the trailer, but you might be better off selling the single axle and buying a tandem axle.

The balance point, getting the tongue weight correct, actually placing the brackets (Torsion vs springs) in the correct place is critical. A good trailer builder can do ths. We have a "hitch" shop, but they also repair trailers in Pensacola. There are several trailer builders in the area--but there are a number of them in S. Florida also. Basically a "Builder" has the stock sent and then assembles it.
Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I believe that almost all of the 19's are on single axle trailers. The addition of an axle and tires with brakes depends on the trailer, but you might be better off selling the single axle and buying a tandem axle.

The balance point, getting the tongue weight correct, actually placing the brackets (Torsion vs springs) in the correct place is critical. A good trailer builder can do ths. We have a "hitch" shop, but they also repair trailers in Pensacola. There are several trailer builders in the area--but there are a number of them in S. Florida also. Basically a "Builder" has the stock sent and then assembles it.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a trailer shop near me that could do the conversion and will talk to them about the cost.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

City/Region: Big Sur
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Sierra
Photos: Sierra
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick post here as I just got in after a long days tow down Baja 5 and 1
As I was driving this road I thought I had better tell people that tandem axles are the only safe way down here as there are a lot of unavoidable pot holes that our trailer sort of bridges and if you get a flat on this road there is no way to pull off the road most of the way, as the edges drop off steeply from the 9' lanes.
Ok now for dinner and a much needed margarita after a long day, then I will file a "Sierra" road report.

1978 Folkes 38 SV Audacious (2006-2015)
Micah, KJ6GUF, Dana, KJ6GXG
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: trailer Reply with quote

If you have never done the conversion, the parts can be ordered over the net. The tandem brackets fit over the chassis side rails and can be slid around to align everything before they are drilled and bolted in place. IMPORTANT, the front hanger pivot bolt must be exactly the same distance from the trailer hitch on both sides of the trailer or the trailer won't track properly. You can move the hangers forward and back to get the tongue weight right, but looking at pics on the forum, will get this placement pretty close. The fenders are held onto the chassis with Uclamps. The two original drum brakes were rusted globs so I replaced them with ss disks on the front axle only. Not legal in some states, they are more than sufficient to do the job.

I have put thousands of miles on this rig, two trips from Louisiana to Lake Powell, two to the Keys, etc. No problems.

I added tandems to my trailer because the boat I bought had a single, 3500 lb axle on it and I thought that insufficient. In talking with Texair, if I had it to do again, I would add one 7000 lb axle with 8 or 10 ply tires and ss disk brakes and be happy.

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to note the part that failed on my single axle trailer was the pole tongue...not the axles or wheels/tires. I think that part of the problem was that I was towing with an "air ride" RV and it didn't follow the dips of the roads--the trailer did. There are some big bumps in Mississippi (where it failed) as well as in LA on I 10. A lot depends on the vehicle's suspension and wheel base as to how much it will affect ride.
Nancy and Bud

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While in FL I called the trailer mfg, Rocket Trailer, and spoke with their tech. It turns out that I can not add an additional axle they mfg as there is not room on the frame. From the bend to the rear of the frame is 6' and he said I needed 8'.

This assumes adding one of their axles that are attached to a piece that can slide forward and backward to adjust where the axle sits on the frame.

I still might go to the local trailer place and see what they say.

Came home with no problems.
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could only find load range D for my 14" rims on my CD trailer, I could get load range E for my 15" (10 ply) for my Tug trailer tires. I would love 15s again.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has to remember that 15" wheels come with 5 and 6 lug nut patterns. The 6 lug nut can have a higher capacity. (And not all bolt patterns are the same.).
Micahbigsur@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, that's the problem, 15s would need new axels (torsion type) new fenders and raise the the rollers up a half inch, it just isn't practical, I bought new 14" tires for the trip so I could go from load range C to D (very few choices) and they handled the trip fine, even with a couple of miles of washboard dirt road and a few unavoidable potholes. I think I may be overkill excessive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: