The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Smoking Fish
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... "Sacred Injun Candy" might I ad Laughing Hey it's neat your here at least and it's good to meet you Thumbs Up Never know, we might be in Sitka again soon! Actually were considering a migration to Hoonah!!Love I'll be a "displaced Athabaskan Injun" to-be-sure Rolling Eyes

I'm back on the 'web till my back heals... then I'm back out to go tear it up again on the Snowmachine Disgust lol I hope not! Nice to be able to get back to my "Brating" again Moon Teeth once in a while. What else we gona do in winter... huh Smile
Mason C. Bailey

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: McNaughty III
Photos: McNaughty III
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: More on cold smoking Reply with quote

Couldn't resist adding some more thoughts on cold smoking. When I was about 20 years old, I went on a trout fishing trip to lake Anahiem (spelling?) up in British Columbia. The owner of the resort where we stayed smoked some trout for us. It was cold smoked and I always remember his smoker and said to myself that I would make one in the future. About eight years ago I made mine. The smoke box itself is about 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep and 6 feet tall. This is mounted on top of a concrete box which is buried in the ground. The fire pit is located about thirty feet away, down a hill and is also made out of concrete with a heavy steel top and has an opening in front for adding wood. Six inch old clay pipe is buried in the ground and runs from the fire box to the bottom of the smoker. You build a real wood fire with alder, apple, cherry or my favorite is pecan, when I can get it from my "father in law." As you start the fire and the smoke starts to reach the smoker, the temperature inside the smoker actually drops due to the cold temperature of the ground. It is easy to smoke for several days without the temperature getting above 85-100 degrees. As mentioned by "Red Fox" part of the key is drying the fish off first. For this I use racks and large blowers for several hours until the outside of the fish is dry and shiny. If I smoke chinook for 1 day, it is what we call "smoked salmon butter" due to all the oil, this is my favorite but doesn't keep for long unless frozen. If you smoke for two full days and vacuum pack it keeps pretty long and is drier.

For parties, I lightly brine salmon (less salt) and load the smoker up with 4-8 filets, depending on the number of guests. I then start the smoker early in the AM with a normal fire. About an hour before it is time to eat, I add a lot of wood to get the temperature above 130 degrees. People are always amazed how good the fish is.

This works great for beef jerky also. Cold smoke for several hours then transfer to a food drier, dry for as long as you prefer then vacuum seal.

If I get the chance this afternoon, I'll take some digitals of the smoker a try to post them on the MacNaughty website. Pictures are posted as of 12/21/04.

Mason C. Bailey
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grown up in the Ky. Country Ham business and produced over 100,000 hams, bacons, and pork shoulders over the years I have smoked a lot of meat. I won't try to tell you that there is only "my" way of doing it, because that just isn't true. There are dozens of ways but in the end it all comes down to taste, Your's.

Here is a very rough sketch of a way to build yourself a cold smoker that is affordable and controllable. It will just take a temperature gauge and some trial and error on your part. Have fun and don't forget to send samples.

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Papillon/ColdSmoker.sized.jpg

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: My simple but effective japanese brine Reply with quote

I am a transplanted west coast salmon fisherman and a very quick and effective brine is 50% soy sauce and 50% Memmi . Memmi is a japanese noddle soup base that is made by Kikkoman . This brine is great on all fish and depending on the oil content of the fish , you can brine in as little as 2 hours for white low oil fish [grouper,snapper,rock cod, white seabass ] or overnight for oilier white fish [king mackerel,spanish mackerel,tuna,yellowtail, halibut ] or with the king of oily[in a good way] fish ,Salmon for up to 2 days .Also it depends how thick you cut it as to how long the brining process takes .Put it in a ziplock and turn it around every now and then. I must say I have a Bradley Smoker from Canada and it is awesome . A chef friend of mine says it the smoker for nerds ,but I dont care as it is great and with a timer and a little practice ,you can walk away and know you will have perfect results when you return ......
Marc

Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: got some fish and friends coming over Reply with quote

Does anyone have the "Sacred Injun Candy" recipe from Red Fox. The link to the site will not work for me. Rolling Eyes I had soooo many good tasting samples of Salmon at the Seattle boat show this year I am having withdraws just thinking about it! I would like to treat my southeast friends to some Thursday. Thank you CoolSmile
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papillon wrote:
Having grown up in the Ky. Country Ham business and produced over 100,000 hams, bacons, and pork shoulders over the years I have smoked a lot of meat. I won't try to tell you that there is only "my" way of doing it, because that just isn't true. There are dozens of ways but in the end it all comes down to taste, Your's.

Here is a very rough sketch of a way to build yourself a cold smoker that is affordable and controllable. It will just take a temperature gauge and some trial and error on your part. Have fun and don't forget to send samples.

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/Papillon/ColdSmoker.sized.jpg

This appears to be gone -- can you re-post? Thanks,

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: got some fish and friends coming over Reply with quote

Jeff Brigner wrote:
Does anyone have the "Sacred Injun Candy" recipe from Red Fox. The link to the site will not work for me. Rolling Eyes I had soooo many good tasting samples of Salmon at the Seattle boat show this year I am having withdraws just thinking about it! I would like to treat my southeast friends to some Thursday. Thank you CoolSmile

I found the Red Fox site with the Injun Candy instructions. I will probably use one of the recipes listed here because I do not have time to dry and smoke for 4 days.
DICKNBUNNY

City/Region: Duluth
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Rose Bud
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Smoked Fish Reply with quote

l use this on trout and salmon 5lbs fish 1 cup white sugar,1 cup brown sugar,1/2 cup tender quick salt or sea salt. Mix sugars and salt together to make a dry brine. rub liberally over fish,place in shallow pan and leave at room temp for 3 hrs. sprinkle water over fish lightly and place in fridge over night. smoke until golden brown and flake apart . you can add a little brown sugar 1/2 way during cooking. this is for hot smoking 2 to 4 hrs at least 160 degrees.I have used this many times with excellant results cap dick bohlmann
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Temp Regulation Reply with quote

Cabella's has some high end propane smokers that look like they should be effective at temp control. Not sure that i would want to put that kind of money into one.

Years ago, we used an old refrigerator with a hot plate in the bottom, a vent at the top. My suspicion is that you might want to find out what the racks, assuming they are metal racks, are made of. I have heard that some manufacturers used cadmium as a coating, and i believe it is toxic.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the propane smokers - they can get pretty hot. The charcoal smokers - you have to really have your game plan down - hard to keep not too hot and not too cool. I have a Traeger pellet grill/smoker - OK, but expensive to feed and upkeep.

For most years, the best thing for me was/is what Sagebrush just mentioned - an old refrigerator with a hot plate with a pan of wet chips on the hot plate and a big metal bowl/pan of water above that. You can put a small "chimney" on top with a closing flap, so you can monitor the actual smoke output. These simple things - even a metal box instead of a fridge - work great because you don't have much risk of heat cooking the meat.

The propane smoker, I smoke an hour or so, then wrap in foil and stick in the 180 degree oven holding box for many hours. That will really tenderize the briskit.

John
RJD Wannabe

City/Region: Elk Grove
State or Province: CA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gizillion way to smoke fish.

2 things that I did to really help: Brine, use molasses instead of sugar

Wood: I used apple wood strictly, imparts a unique flavor. best if green 1" branches, or discs off table saw. Soaked the wood in red wine (and drank some!!)

Just my $0.02

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: