City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveS-
Thanks for your service as a firefighter. I tried to join the MountLake Terrace Fire Dept but, being blind in one eye, I was medically disqualified. Same as with the Armed Forces- I was listed as 1H for the draft.
"All gave some" - I tried to sign up with the Air Force then the Army- couldn't even talk the Coast Guard into taking me.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishtales wrote:
...I tried to sign up with the Air Force then the Army- couldn't even talk the Coast Guard into taking me.

Man, Roger - good thing our standards here are so low. Your C-Brat membership is not in jeapordy.

Mr. Green

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only put 32 years in the USN, didn't want to make a career of it. Called again a year or so ago to volunteer to go back on active duty and was told I would be classified "4-E" Question Question . I looked for that classification and couldn't find it so I called and asked.

I was told that when the enemy gets to 4th and E Street in Washington DC, they'd give me a call. Phone Phone

Oh, well...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Anita Marie

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodger, I also am blind in one eye (20-400 non correctable) and when I went to get my draft physical they classified me 1A. I guess it depended on what selective service board you were in. I joined the Navy for 6 years. I can't say it was the best time of my life but I am glad I did it. I think I am a better person for doing it.
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred-
I was hit in the eye with an arrow (damn indians) when I was 6 years old, had a cataract removed when I was 9 years old. I was classified as 1H and they said I could not be drafted unless our borders were being attacked. A friend wanted to join up with the Army and I talked him into signing up with the Air Force with me on the buddy system-- they took him but would not take me, because I did not have a lense in my left eye. I later tried to sign up with the Army- they pulled me out of the testing and told me not to come back. I talked with the Coast Guard- no deal.
In 1997 I had surgery to straighten the eye (it had turned in after not using it for 35 years) and in 2000 I had a lense implant- I can read size 14 font with it now- without glasses!
Anita Marie

C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Anita Marie
Photos: Anita Marie and Little Buddy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodger that is great news. It must have seemed very strange to have gotten that much sight back after all those years. I love to hear those kind of stories. I'm glad you can C your C-Dory better.
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
It was very strange. I'm still getting used to seeing things on my left without turning my head.
Laughing I almost nailed a waitress once years ago-- I was sitting with my left to the aisle and next thing I knew she was reaching around pouring coffee. Startled me, scared her- she thought I was going to hit her. I told her that it wasn't her fault and from then on I always sat with my right to the aisle. Wink
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Decaration Day Reply with quote

Hi all, as most of you know I grew up in the hills of WV and to this day the older folks over there call this day Decaration Day. One of my Grandfathers was in WW I and when he was alive he'd trek to the local cemetary to "decorate" the graves of those that did not make it with a flower or small flag if he had them. He personally saw the horror back then in the trenches Europe and did not talk much about it, but I could tell even at my young age his experience left much more than an impression on him.
He told me then, which was over 50 years ago for me, it was a time to make sure someone did not forget those that as some say "gave it all" and for those that did make to remember and reflect why they did it with out hesitation. He decorated graves as a personal gesture of his love and admiration for those that served around him in that war and others, because he used to say in his own way, war was war and it really did not matter what name you hung on it.

So that is what the Day in question means to me. I would like to pose one suggestion to the group, and that is; what can we do to ensure our childern and grandchildren do not look upon Memorial and Veterans Days as nothing more than an official "holiday" from work.... .

For my little part to ensure the true meaning of what I think this day means, I spend time with my grandkids watching the film footage of D-Day and the documentaries that explain the war's background. I want my young grandsons to understand those men were plenty scared about what laid ahead as they rode in the Higgins Boats, but in the same breath, I want them to know it was pure raw courage that held them together and they as a unit went forward hoping for the best. Butch

DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch,
Your grandfather was correct in referring to Memorial Day as Decoration Day, because that is what it was called before the name was changed.
Your reference to the "holiday atmosphere" of Memorial Day is a real concern to many.....so much so that on January 19, 1999 Senator Inouye introduced Senate Bill 189 which proposes the traditional day of observance of Memorial Day back to May 30th instead of the "last Monday in May". To date there has been no further developments on the bill.
As far as "what individuals can do to ensure our children and grandchildren do not look upon Memorial Day and Veterans Day as nothing more than an official holiday from work"....I, like you set those days aside for the appropriate activities. We have always, since daughter Jessica was a baby, attended the Veteran's Day parade in town and the Memorial Day services that are perfomed in our little town. On those particular days that I do have to work, my wife Carol has taken Jessica there without me. Even at the age of 14, Jessica still seems to look forward to these observances and she understands the importance of these days. Obviously, it is what we condition our children and grandchildren to.

It would be hypocritical of me, not to mention that I certainly would take my C-Dory out on those days, but not without participating in some type of appropriate observance.

C-Brat #16
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go on to say that on one occasion since the 9/11 attack, our Fire Department was included in an activity on Veteran's Day, that made the appearance that "we" were amongst those being honored. Since, I was off work that day (as co-incidentally I usually take Veteran's Day as a day off), I didn't know about it until I returned to work a couple of days later. At that time I became quite vocal about what I felt to be the inappropriateness of it. It was good to know that others in our ranks felt the same way and likewise became vocal. (We must have been heard because since then we've not been placed in that position).
MIKE MANNELL

City/Region: Vancouver, WA.
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: GUNNY-D
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fisherman,

I always judge a man based on his intentions. Looks to me like your intentions regarding your post were indeed heart felt and good.
I'm a former Marine Infantryman/Squad Leader and an RVN Vet and was not in anyway offended by your remarks...Infact, I thought your remarks were very thoughtful...who cares what day it is.

Semper Fi

Mike Mannell
(Fromer Corporal of Marines)

Sawdust

C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fisherman,

You were spot on. My days get screwed up a bit too - as the only survivor of my first WWII torpedo bomber squadron my memorial days approach 365.
When I go, as a DAV, to the VA hospital for treatment I always visit my Nam buddies, the ones I first knew as 19 and 20 year old kids back when they were whole. As I make my way through the wards, cluttered with artificial limbs and aids like toys strewn around a daycare center, and shake hands with those who still have them -- my Veteran's Day gets refreshed, and refreshed.

My silver star, purple heart, and other undeserved fruit salad are molding away in an old shoe box in the basement waiting for some garage sale, and I often wish for some way to cut each into little pieces - giving a piece to each of those who really earned them and are no longer here. Ray, your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I fully understand our C-Brat home isn't the proper forum for this sort of thing, and as soon as you acknowledge reading this I'll delete.

Sorry, DaNag Bill, old friend.

Dusty

Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusty, couldn't have said it better. Mike/Bill, I think it's time to give this whole thread a sounding of taps Note Note and put it 6 feet under until next year at least. After Dusty's note gets absorbed by all that is.

Charlie
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.... Take it down. I nearly deleted it several times.

Thanks for the support.
I never intended to offend anyone.

Most of this was not the reaction I have come to expect from this group.

I'll keep it to myself from now on.

Thanks,

Ray

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
C-Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No No, Ray-- Don't keep it to yourself!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: