City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman --
Good advice -- thanks. Right now, it looks like the weekend of June 18, 19, and 20 at Sucia and then on to the Gulf Islands. Where would you think is the best place to launch? -- Cornet Bay? Can you join? e&b

Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill, your trip with your grandkids sounds wonderful. The Gulf Islands will be a treat. A thought about crossing the boarder with grandkids without parents along. A friend of mine took her two children to B.C. to ski for a week. She had birth certificates and passports, thought she was covered. The customs folks wanted proof that the father knew of the trip! They were not going to let her cross! It took her an hour to talk them into their entry. She told them to call her husband and they said the requirement was that the parent not accompanying had to send a notarized letter saying that it was ok. I don't know if this is standard policy, but it might be worth looking into. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El,

After Sucia, Bedwell Harbor is a great place to go thru Canadian Customs. Very informal and no waiting. I heartily encourage you to visit as many of the Gulf Islands as possible. I have toured them by land and by sea. They are so much more laid back than the San Juans and as a result the island people are friendlier. Saturna is definitely (with 250 year-round residents) one of the more remote places I've seen that is close to a major city.

Chuck
Catman

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Songbird (Bambina, 16')
Photos: Bambina
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good comments from Roberta and Chuckpacific, and others. They know their stuff.

Bill and El, Cornet Bay's a good place to launch, and park. I've parked there for extended periods with no problems. And undoubtedly others will jump on this thread and offer more good ideas. Yours is a common question. Alternatives to Cornet are a sling launch at Skyline in Flounder Bay near the ferry dock, (my favorite), the state park near Skyline, and the city facility in Anacortes. The latter is preferred by most Brats, and an excellent choice. As I say, others will weigh in.

You sure you want others along to crash your party? Course, I'm a pretty quiet, shy guy. It's not often we get to see world travelers B&E, so I'll have to see about getting a day off to run up your way. Thanks for the offer.
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roberta --
We checked and you are right -- a notarized letter is still required from the absent parent -- thanks for the good ideas. e&b
El and Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman --
We'd love to have you join the party -- and any other C-folks that can make it. We'll probably launch from Cornet around June 17 or 18 and head to Sucia. We'll let you know when we get the routes worked out. Come on along. Or, on the weekend of June 25, 26, 27, 28, we'll be in Sucia -- maybe a good time for a mini-gathering. e&b
Robbi

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to meet folks at Sucia sometime after the 24th I finish with school on the 23rd and feel the need to really break in the new boat! (I went back to work 6 weeks ago. This is my third time to "unretire" and by golly my LAST. Crook ) I could run from the south sound, about 120 miles, or trailer to the Anacortes area, or even Bellingham. The tides are moderate the 24th-27th so it looks like any route would be ok, depending on the weather. Anyone form the south sound want to run up by boat? We could overnight at Langley, Pt Townsend, etc. Lots of options.

Planning is half of the fun-Robbi
Robbi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new plan for Sucia.

My brother wants to come along, so plan TWO has me trailering to Tulalip Bay where he lives, launching and motoring from there the morning of the 24th. We will probably go up Saratogo Passage. That will leave two routes available- Cornet Bay, Deception Pass or Swinomish Channel.

This planning is getting me through the last days of school with a big smile on my face. Very Happy Robbi
Catman

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Roberta, I hear you about the fun of planning. Like a kid looking forward to his birthday.

Bill and El, why don't I help crank up the promotion machine for a June 24-27 Sucia bash? Does that work for you, considering at that time you'll be sans kids and motoring north?
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robbi --
How about another change of plans? We met with Pat and Patti (Day Dream) last night, and they have not been to the Gulf Islands. They suggested a meeting at Beaumont Marine Park, on South Pender Island, just to the north of the customs dock at Bedwell, Friday afternoon, on the 25th.
If you launch at Tulalip, the locals tell us, it won't be much (if any) longer going to South Pender than Sucia. If weather is OK, out through Deception, then nw through the San Juans to the customs dock at Bedwell.
C-Dory advice is to continue north the next day to Montague, a favorite with those who cruise the Gulf Islands, and hang out on a hook there at that Marine Park.
How does that sound to you? We'd enjoy meeting and that would be at least three of us up there -- others are thinking of joining as well -- so any input from any and all interested is appreciated.
We're going to be "out of pocket" for a couple weeks now -- some family time east -- so maybe Pat and Patti can be the 'touch base' for those who would like to join that weekend of the 24th-27th. Don't think we need anything like a sign-up -- just an informal cruise time together, with anyone welcome.
Looking forward to meeting you, Robbi, and your brother on your 19 -- and if planning is half the fun, we've given you another diversion for your last days of school (El and I are ex-teachers, so we know exactly what you mean). e&b
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock --
We will be with the Kid and grandkids until the 1st of July -- then we head back north for more extensive cruising for about three weeks. The weekend of 24-27, we will be with the family on the boat -- all the better for a group getting together. If you would like to be point man for folks who would like to join for the weekend, we'd appreciate it -- touch base with Pat and Patti, who would like to meet in the Gulf Islands. We'll go along with whatever you folks would like to do for that weekend, our only requirement is a marine park where the grandkids can set up their tent ashore and run (22 feet is not a long enough stretch for kids). Great visiting, Catman, and sure enjoyed seeing you again. e&b
El and Bill

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wade and Lois --
Nice to meet you folks -- we'll give a call as soon as we return to NW on June 17 -- I think we'll take you up on your offer. Look forward to some tandem cruising -- and seeing if Halcyon can pass muster with the Aux. Inspection -- see you guys in a few weeks -- e&b
Robbi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El, Oh boy, new plans. You are right, the distance from Sucia to North Pender is not that far. Plus going to Pender gives us the option of going through San Juan Channel and stopping at my old home (Shaw Island) to visit friends.
I have not been by boat into the gulf islands, so it will be a fun new experience for me. My brother has been all around the area, plus he has circumnavigated Vancouver Island two times in his boat. He will be a good co-pilot. The marine parks sound great, and the pink school bus at Montague Harbor is on my list of must do's.

The planning continues. Robbi
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El and Bill, or is it Bill and El, I suspect the former since we've been married for nigh on to 40 years. Sally is the Admiral and I'm just the Captain, matter of fact her hat says so.

Anyway, what do you two use for e-mail when you're on the road? Sure seems effective, I need something for a similar situation, first in our 28' trailer and then hopefully for the boat. If I can figure out how to pull both the trailer and the boat at the same time, I'll be an genius (and probably incarcerated). Laughing

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Catman

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill and El, Pat and Patti, that sounds like a plan. It's easy to get to, and a little bit different up there in Canada. Plus, Montague is beautiful. We have enough time to massage and further plan this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: