The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Power Options 25' CD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big difference on an aircraft Dusty. I've heard that, even when they both quit, you've always got enough time to get to the scene of the crash!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Good thread! Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input Idea on powering up a new boat. Its a lot to digest Crook and another thing not to second guess Question your decision. But I figure I am up to it Shocked . Tanks ya all! Butch
Sea Angel

City/Region: Virginia Beach, VA
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: CD25 Twins or Single w/ kicker?? Reply with quote

Hi Gang;
This is my first ever thread input here.
This pass week I had the chance to 'sea trial' the CD22 & CD25 at Cutter Marine in MD. The CD22 had a HONDA 90 and the CD25 a HONDA 135. Both hulls had trim tabs , had 3 adults and minimum loading of 'stuff'. Each seemed to ride abt 14 to 17kts at abt 3400 rpm and seemed to have the least loading on the motor. The rep there sure wanted to push the singles!
I think the HONDA 150 would have been a better fit since the weight factor is equal to the 135.

I was very impressed with the transmission and injection system of the '135. The test I did was an enhanced maneuver to simulated a 'man-overboard'. The throttle control reminded me of the old
Morse Controls. If only the '90 had that transmission !! And controls!!

The quietness of both are soooo much better than the Merc 135 I have on my 18' SeaRay. The transmission action and starting characteristics are the same as the Merc.

I'm weighing the arguements of single verses twins also. The Kicker approach is a very valid point for the the safety point of 'returning to port'.
The economy of the single is a 'no-brainer' to me with weight and consumption of todays expensive gas. The extra weight at the stern as it affects trim and counterpoise effect of extra weight in the anchor locker
has some points as well.

The question here in the Lower Chesapeake Bay is both reliability and manueverability. For the pass 15 years I have been active in the USCGAUX and have had to tow many 'newbies' and 'oldies' back in. The currents and winds can be a real challenge when passing under some of our bridge structures. I should note that I was a crew or coxswain on a 37' Tug with twins. Here all we did was center the helm and use the engine to steer and manuever... very effective with a 45' sailboat or cruiser along side.

Has any talk been abt closing off the transom and adding an Armstrong type extension to move the engines further aft by abt 1ft.? By the way, I was comparing this with the Rosborough RF246 and here is where all parts fell in place to us.

So you see I have not yet resolved which way to go before I commit the check.... I have permission from my wife. Can't get any better than that, except being with her another 40+ years would be great!

Did any of this make any sense? I will try harder next time not to write a book.....
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art,

Just an old Dusty view - the 135 would certainly be my choice for the 25. The 135 and 150 have similar torque and hp curves up to about 4500 rpm, and unless you water ski or some other activity that requires 4500+ why spend the extra loot.

As for twin vs single - I don't dare touch that one. My personal preference has been single and kicker, but it would be easy to change my mind after seeing the new Da Nag and super-sized Sea Shift.

Twin engines certainly have the edge for maneuvering, but with the vectored thrust of the outboard, both the 22 and 25 are very maneuverable with a single engine.

"Rudder amidship and steer with throttles" was step one in teaching new skippers. There are many steps beyond that, and a competent skipper uses all of the tools. Twin outboards (or outdrives) respond beautifully to a combination of throttle and rudder.

My new CD Orca has the engine mounted on an Armstrong extension -- full report when she gets wet.

Dusty

Sea Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dusty;
Congratulations on the ORCA. You are so right abt a skipper using all the other tools with regards to controlling one's vessel, from outside forces to helm to thrust.

I looked at the ORCA, but the family comptroller won't go that far. No complaint, though.

I hope to have the decission done by the end of August, at latest; given the variables I'm working with.

I guess I am a product of an old school of thought.. If the vessel is rated for 100HP, go for 100HP. I would think the dealer would like this on their spreadsheets.

Maybe I should reconsider the single so I can add some more toys, such as RADAR, etc..

Are there any CD25s in the Lower Ches. Bay area of VA that you know of? I did not notice any in the rolls here..

Thanks agn for your remarks and blessings to you and your family...and all you other C-Brats [love that name!].
Sea Angel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUSTY et All..

I get dummy award... I resorted the membership list and found the names of other C-Brats in VA, etc.. So much ignorance/ so much to learn.. Art
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Art, PLAN B (2002 CD25 with twin Honda 75s) will be at my pier on Cod Creek on the 19/20th of June for our CD gathering. We're at the mouth of the Potomac at the Bay on the VA side on Northern Neck.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=626

There'll also be 5 CD 22's there with all Honda power from 2 45's to a single 90. We'd be glad to have you stop by. Cocktail Beer Check out the thread for details and let me know if you need directions.

Charlie
D5800877351

State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: N/A
Photos: D5800877351
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the weird thing is the honda's weight config.
the 115 is heavier than the 150... Shocked
Jammin

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jammin
Photos: Jammin
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: CD25 Power Reply with quote

We've been very happy with the Honda 130 and 9.9 kicker Les installed on Jammin. It seems to me that Jammin runs best at about 5kts with the kicker or 130. The kicker is primarily a get home engine as it is noisier than the 130. It seems to be powerful enough.

I would not have this boat without an autopilot. Slow and quiet with the autopilot is often the way we like spending a day cruising.

Dennis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: