The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

My New Inflatable Needs a Motor, But Which One ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry, I'll do the same and measure before doing any unnecessary cutting.

Peter
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

Doh, Embarrased I didn't follow the links far enough to see the 'donut' style.

For your dink, I would measure your transom height with you in the boat and the boat in the water.

I had a 'donut' dingy and the motor thrust tried to 'bend' the back of the boat down, lowering the powerhead of the motor closer to the water.

You might want to try the boat with the oars first and perhaps borrow a motor for 'motor trials'. Unless the dingy will plane, the lightest, smallest, motor will probably give the best results.

Maybe 'motor & dingy trials' could be a part of our gatherings.

I would promote dingy races, but Mike(Alaskgun) would win hands down. Wink

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry H wrote:
For your dink, I would measure your transom height with you in the boat and the boat in the water.

I had a 'donut' dingy and the motor thrust tried to 'bend' the back of the boat down, lowering the powerhead of the motor closer to the water.

You might want to try the boat with the oars first and perhaps borrow a motor for 'motor trials'. Unless the dingy will plane, the lightest, smallest, motor will probably give the best results.

Great advice! I should have thought about whether the transom would bend under power. And, of course, it will bend more under more power. D'oh! So, back to the 2 hp Honda or 2.5 hp Yamaha.

BTW I bought this donut style dinghy in large measure because of its light weight and inflatable floor, both important because I am planning to carry the dinghy on my cabin top. Otherwise I probably would have gone with a U-shaped dinghy and avoided a lot of these issues.

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
AnchortownJim

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Coho
Photos: Coho
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren,

I have an Alaska Series dingy, the 220 model and use a Honda 2 HP on it. My Honda is the short shaft model with clutch and it works very well with two of us onboard. It won't plane, but it sure beats rowing against a wind. Thumbs Up CoolSmile

If I remember correctly, the top of the transom to the bottom of dingy measured 17 inches and I ended up cutting 2 inches off the top of the transom to lower the Honda and keep the cavitation plate in the water. My transom was laminated plywood that was easy to remove from the bracket and cut on the table saw. I did reseal the cut edge of the transom.

This setup works great for me. The dingy is light and easy to toss on the roof and the Honda 2 HP is easy to put on and take off. Love that inflatable floor in our cold Alaskan waters. Shocked Hope this helps you out.

Jim
Doryman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, AnchortownJim. Very encouraging!

Warren
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. It seems that there are two factors that need to be weighed against each other. The advantage of an air-cooled outboard(only Honda)-VS-more capable outboards that are water-cooled. I've found some used 2-stroke motors that are similar in weight(i.e. 30#), offer more horsepower, and cost just $300-$400. OMC offered various 3-4 h.p. motors from the 80s forward. Yamaha and Suzuki likewise. Tohatsu/Nissan made a 2-cycle 3.5hp motor through '06 that weighed just 29# and offered forward/neutral shifting. http://www.marine-outboards.com/Tohatsu_Outboards_Boat_Motors_Pages/Tohatsu_Marine_3_5_HP_Outboard_Boat_Motor.htmThis has since been replaced by a 4-stroke version that weighs 41#. http://www.marine-outboards.com/Tohatsu_Outboards_Boat_Motors_Pages/Tohatsu_Marine_3_5_HP_4_stroke_Outboard_Boat_Motor.htmThey also make all Mercury motors under 30 horsepower. If I went new I could get a 4-cycle Tohatsu 3.5 for about $850.00 delivered to my door. That gets me nearly twice the power for $100 less than the Honda. Since the used Hondas are so rare and command such a high price I only compare them to new alternatives. If I should embrace water-cooling then I have many, many more options in the used market. So there I am. I know that storing a salted motor is destructive but I COULD view it as "disposable", accept the destruction, and plan on replacing it when needed. $300-$400 for a capable, used, disposable motor or $950 for a less capable, new, motor that will probably outlive me. NOW what do you all think ???

Last edited by Adeline on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this in WM flier.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&keyword=torqeedo&Ntt=torqeedo&N=0&y=0&x=0&storeId=10001&Ntk=All_2&ddkey=SiteSearch

Something to look at.

Chris Bulovsky
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Alaska Series inflatable 270.

I have been thinking about getting an electric trolling motor - $200 - $500 depending on model, along with a deep-cycle battery.

Any pros or cons?

That Torqeedo looks neat, but is pretty pricey.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 42 lb thrust salt water series trolling motor on a 12 foot aluminum skiff. I use two Golf Cart batteries (440 amp hours)--and have about 3 hours of good running--@ 3-4 knots. The cautions for underpowering outboards in winds, almost doubles for electric trolling motors. As long as you can use the dinghy in calm water, can live with the very restricted amount of power which you will have in a small AGM battery and have a good way of recharging the battery it will work. The AGM battery is not cheap--and you will probably have from 35 (garden tractor battery) to a group 27 (100 amp hours).

I have yet to have a dinghy outboard either wear out, corrode out, or salt up. I have usually sold the boat/ dinghy before this happened. I have owned some of these dinghy motors up to 10 years--where 4 out of that time was full time cruising, and two to three times a day use of the motor. --that is a lot of use/abuse--where the motor gave excellent service. Sure the impellor and spark plug had to be changed every couple of years. I have owned a couple of the rebadged Tohtsu 2 cycle 3.5 hp motors and they have been excellent--I own one currently.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, I had an Avon dingy (as a matter of fact still do,) about the size of your Achilles. I got an OMC 3 hp (made by OMC.) It was a twin, with F-R. Lovely motor. Took it everywhere, So Pac, Alaska, back East. Great motor.

The problem was, that it was underpowered for the dingy. It would just plane with one parson on board. And your Achilles planes just great. Finally got an OMC 6 hp. It was just what that dingy needed. Don't get a small motor, because there will be places you will want the speed of a larger motor. And if'n you get a small motor (<5 hp, ) it'll be too late, cause OB motors aren't cheap.

By the, way, the Avon got old and I got an Achilles. It seems to be a great dingy, though we'll see after 10 years. One great advantage is that it's made of Hypalon, which is important for us'n in the South, mabe not as important for you. Comfortable, dry, fairly light. Just get a motor that will plane it with 2-3 people on board.

The Southern Boris
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About older 2 stroke motors in salt.

I bought a 2 hp Evinrude in 1979, ran it hard in dingy service in salt water, I sold the 79(still a running motor) in 84, when I bought a new 1984 Johnson 2 hp(same motor). I used the 84 till I overheated it bad in 2004.

This long time service was not repair free. I had to replace the water pumps, ignition points, spark plugs, do several carb overhauls, and replace some small metal parts which were not ss steel, and clean, sand and repaint. Being in the o/b repair business, this wasn't too difficult or expensive.

I think these small 2-stroke motors can give good service if several things are attended to.

Carefully mix good quality 2-stroke oil with the gas at the correct ratio. Flush the motor by running in fresh water periodically. Clean, sand, and repaint any corrosion. Change the impeller and gear oil every couple of years.

Run the carb dry after use and use storage fogging oil before storage.

Don't turn the motor upside down as water can run into the cylinder.

When buying a used motor, get the seller to demonstrate that the motor runs(in water), and doesn't overheat. Inspect the paint, a motor which has been overheated will show paint burn, or discoloration on the cylinder head or block. Most outboard dealers have a test tank and can demonstrate a motor. Look for obvious signs of abuse.

With the motor clamped onto a stand, and the throttle in the stop position, slowly pull out the starter rope. The motor should have definite compression pulses and the rope should not be badly frayed. Stay clear of the prop as the motor could fire.

Motors which are hard to start usually have been frantically pull started till the rope is frayed or broken.

The fact that a 2-stroke motor has oil mixed into the gas means that the internal parts(the crank, rod, piston, rings, and cylinder walls) have been coated with fresh oil every time they are run. This prevents internal rust and corrosion.

So if it looks clean, starts and runs smoothly and appears well taken care of, you could get good service from a used motor.

I would stay with the known brands... Johnson, Evinrude, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Nissan, Honda and stay away from orphans and oddballs. Air cooled motors tend to corrode in salt water(maybe excepting Honda-I have no experience with air cooled Hondas). You should have access to a dealer of your brand for parts and advise.

Good luck in your motor hunt.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing which we do with our two strokes is to run the gas out of the fuel line and carburator on shut down. This prevents varnish build up in the carburator.

I used to think that the little 2 stroke from OMC were good, but in the last few years I have gone with the single piston higher hp engines.
Island Ranger

City/Region: Whidbey Island
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Island Ranger
Photos: Two Lucky Fish and Island Ranger
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by a dealer (Performance Marine) at the Everett Boat show Friday, and looked at the 30 pound, water cooled, 4 cycle 2.5 hp Suzuki. Holds 1 liter of fuel. He quoted $695, but I'm not sure if that was a boat show special or regualr price. I forgot to ask. I thought it looked pretty good - and will probably get one for our dinghy.
Doryman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my salesman at Master Marine (which sells both Suzuki and Yamaha 2.5s) said that he much preferred the Yamaha. I only asked him about the Yamaha, and he volunteered the info about the Suzuki. Of course, the Yamaha is $200 more expensive!

Warren
Adeline

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Adeline
Photos: Adeline
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still struggling with this decision. One thing I'm certain of is that 40# is the absolute most I'll consider. New candidates are the Tohatsu 3.5(41#), Honda 2(28#), Yamaha 2.5(37#), and Suzuki 2.5(30#). Johnson offers a rebadged Suzuki http://www.brp.com/en-US/Products/Johnson/Showroom/ProductSpecs.htm?productID=J2_5 I found the little 'Zuke online for only $600. It has F/N and a twist-grip throttle. The Suzuki website actually shows one planing(I think ?) a small Achilles. http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album340/2_5_01.sized.jpgIf I go with a new motor it'll probably be this one. I'm also looking at a couple of used motors. A '77 Johnson 4 twin cylinder that is like new for under $400. And a 2000 Johnson 2 (I think) that was used once and looks showroom new. Under $350. Two things that I don't like about these motors are that the throttle is on the motor housing and they are direct drive. No neutral. Also, the 4 horse requires a separate tank. I've looked at so many motors that my brain is stuck and my head hurts. Analysis paralysis. Please chime in with your thoughts.

Last edited by Adeline on Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: