The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Propane Storage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe - sometimes you come up with brilliant and simple solutions to complex problems.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my alcahol stove with a propane two burner drop in stove top..with a electric igniter and all the neat stuff.... I had a marine surveor help me do it properly.... we installed a small one gallon tank in the port lazerette and a solenoid valve in the locker, then used a vapor tight fitting for the line to the stove....we routed the line through pvc pipe that we attached up under the areas in the back where the wiring goes...it is a really neat tight set-up and I feel very safe with it aboard.....I did once smell propane, but it turned out to be one of those small canisters that are used with the barbeque was leaking...it also was stored in the port lazerette so it was venting overboard safely....but I threw it away anyhow.. to do it properly is not cheep...but much cheeper than the explosion...

Joel
SEA3PO
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice solution, Joel.

Incidently, you could let us know on the other thread how the repair of your tug's going.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
therrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many nice responses. Thanks all.

I have seen propane tanks strapped to the back of trailers and RVs, but I like the idea of a tank in a box on the back of my boat better. Not that it would be protected from a semi (a la Milehog) but would look better and be much less attractive to a nuisance-maker. I've been tinkering with fiberglass and like the idea of building a glassed box to mount to the transom.

I also like the idea of running the delivery hose through a PVC conduit all the way from the box to the stove connection. It's not likely I'd open up the insulation on the 30A line to my table saw either, but I'd rather not be toast. Some cable-ease will help to get the rubber hose through the 90-degree bends.

At the stove, I have been considering a quick-disconnect fitting so that I can quickly disconnect the stove, pop it in an insulated bag and store it after use without need for tools. Anyone using such a thing? For safety I don't plan on an electric solenoid valve at the tank. I'd rather go back there and exercise the valve just to make sure. Without pressure in the line it seems that a quick-disconnect fitting would be safe. (My air compressor fittings do seem to leak a bit. Hopefully the propane fittings would be a better fit?)

Again, thanks for the considered and considerate input from all.

Lots to learn...

Tom
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a quick disconnect is allowed inside the cabin or enclosed space... and if you violate marine standards and your boat does catch fire the insurance company may well void your claim.. we used the approved propane line (over $50) and connected directly to the stove...no other connections between the stove and the solenoid that is mounted in the port lazerette.... The marine surveor was real critical when we set up the installation.. and I still turn off the propane bottle when I am not using it....manually...even though the solenoid is good I just don't chance things like that.

Joel
SEA3PO
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good advice here: Al tanks, store tanks in lockers, out of bilge, etc. But I seriously suggest you talk with a reputable dealer/installer. There are a lot of nuances here, including installation specific issues like venting. Don't forget the propane and CO monitors.

I looked into a propane heater for my 22. It looks feasible, but is not something I would do myself.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the quick disconnect is not a good idea. The turn off the valve after each use is a good idea. The selenoid (If that course is taken) is often fitted to the sniffer, so that if a concentration of LPG is detected, the valve is automatically closed off. The selenoid switch has a red light and is not easy to ignore if you leave it on.--Unless you used some lever valve, which had a flag on it--it may be difficult to see if the tank is closed or open (only use LPG certified valves). We have always had a selnoid valve, plus if we were away from the boat for any length of time, turned off the hand valve at the tank. The fewer fittings between the tank and the stove the better--I would avoid 90 degree turns, us sweeping turns--and always have a grommet to protect the hose where it goes thru bulkheads. I have run my hose in PVC pipe, and think it is a good idea--but the pipe should be ventillated.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
timflan

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Two Lucky Fish +1
Photos: Two Lucky Fish
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm stuck. I've purchased two small propane cylinders, and neither one will fit into the aft port-side storage locker on my C-Dory 22! One is too TALL, and the other is too WIDE. How frustrating.

So who's actually got a refillable propane cylinder tucked into a locker? What product is it?

Thanks!

jlynch

City/Region: Corcoran
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: Shenanigan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Storage Reply with quote

Becareful with this propane storage. Coast Guard will not like to see
disposable cylinders stored in an enclosed container or locker without the
proper vent. The port lazerette makes a good propane locker if the vent is clear to the waterline, outside the cabin or cockpit..
Vist this site. http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no'86255F and
93269.F

jlynch

City/Region: Corcoran
State or Province: MN
Vessel Name: Shenanigan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction on the webb address
http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=86255F and =93269F
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this discussion apply to the Coleman-type cylinders used on the BBQ?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
marvin4239

City/Region: Jacksonville Florida/Wilmington NC
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: C-FLE II
Photos: C-FLE II
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
Does this discussion apply to the Coleman-type cylinders used on the BBQ?

Warren

I had the same question Warren so I started a new thread in hopes of getting some information on how others store the small portable bottles. The thread is "Portable Propane Bottle Storage" sorry I don't know how to provide a link.

SEA3PO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the port lazarette is approved propane storage for a permanent installed system...with it's permanent outside vent... you also mush have a remote solenoid valve in the compartment and water-tite connections leading away from the lazarette, no open holes that could vent into the cockpit of the boat... and no quick disconnects.... probably could have one inside the lazarette but not within the cockpit areas....all connections must be permanent fittings. with approved materials...

And Yes the Port lazerette is the approved place to store portable propane bottles as it has a permanent outside vent.

Joel
SEA3PO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: