The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

lazarette on port side
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that makes it unamimous....my port lazerette leaks also. However, I think it has more to do with the amount of water that settles in the space around the lid. When you open it, it spills all that water into the locker. Why that is not the case on the starboard side is a mystery. Am also interested in what the factory has to say about it, and what fixes come up.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken... I think that hatch will do the trick....it's $52 (I just looked it up on-line)
but I think covering the channel is the answer.... I kinda hate to buy two just to make them look alike....but I know it would solve the water problem.

Joel
SEA3PO
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: port lazarette Reply with quote

Earlier I said that Jeff (not Jess) at the factory did respond and wondered about the fit of the hatch, gaps, etc..and i checked it out and all seems fine as far as i can tell.
I leave my plug out, and it does seem that no matter what, the small rim around the plug has a puddle of water. The inside of the hatch cover is beaded with water. All things inside are damp. I would conside putting in a few vents if that seemed structurally a good idea. I don't fish...and the space could be helpful for storage, but only dry storage.

tom/terraplane
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough, my port lazarette collects water even when in my covered berth! I do know the lid leaks, but covered over in the berth and in the shade, you'd think that the lack of rain and spray would shut off the water supply if the lid leak were the primary source. Makes water all the time!

Have any of you who have this problem around salt water tested the water to see if it the condensate is fresh or full of salt?

To get it dry and to stay dry, I'd do two things.

First I'd fix the drain or add another. The water can't drain out the inlet and back down past the supply pump because the inlet pipe sticks up about 1/4 to 3/8 inch above the locker floor with the threaded collar around it and a rubber gasket underneath. This leaves 1/4 inch or so of water in the locker at all times. Best idea would be to drill a hole in the bottom of the locker at the lowest point and glass in a drain tube with no rim around it. Would have to add another through hull or T it into the existing supply/drain tube (easier). If adding another through hull, a shut off valve would have to be added to use the live well.

A second item would be to add some ventilation. A pair of those fog-horn like looking tubes with baffels in them and faced different directions mounted on the lid might do the trick, low tech style. One could use one of those solar powered electric fan vents around fresh water, but I wouldn't even think of trying it around salt water and air.

Maybe we've accidentally discovered a way of efficiently condensing the water out of the air? Lets patent it and license it to places like Las Vegas.

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Have any of you who have this problem around salt water tested the water to see if it the condensate is fresh or full of salt?

'Snot salt, Joe. AFAIC it's condensation and I just live with it.

Don
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don-

I was just asking that question to see if any of the water inside the box was anything other than condensation, which it might be if salt were getting into it. It's my position that it's just condensation and there's not much one can do about it other than to put in another drain and ventilation system which could minimize it.

Joe.
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I respect your right to your own opinion - even if you are wrong! LOL
Al

CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
My boat has been stored all winter through many freeze thaw cycles and large temperature extremes. The port lazarette lid was kept closed and the bottom drain plug out. It is stored under cover. Recently when I started my spring projects it had no moisture in it. I think, at least in my case, it leaks around the lid seal because the lid has a slight warp and the design of the sealing channel forms a trough which will hold quite a bit of water.
Joel,
I also hate to change out the hatch, but I can't come up with another idea to get a good seal. I also expect that the hatch was well sealed down and will not be easy to remove.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We think it is rainwater leaking in around the hatch (maybe a small amount of condensation also) -- but mostly rainwater. So, live with it or figure a way to keep out the water ... thus far, we've lived with it, but if you guys come up with a good easy solution we'll sure adopt it.
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My port side laarette leaks, not the starboard. My port side lazarette has vent holes for wiring underneath. It leaks from the top, consistently from rain or occasionally from spray. Factory says not much they can do as the hatches are good quality. There was a thread about acquiring some new gasket material, not sure if that would work or not as it happens on pretty new boats.

Now why only the port side? Does anyone have the opposite side leak or both sides leak? And if anyone has experimented into a solution it would be welcome.

Regards,

SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel,
Where did you find the hatches online? I would like to see what they look like and can not get anywhere with google and bomar hatches.

Thanks,
Steve
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve - if you are looking for the bomar home page try this
http://www.pompanette.com/bomar

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new style hatches are listed on the Pompanette LLC website... (Bomar)
They are called access hatches.. toward the end of the listing of the different sizes .... called G781222 list price is $52
I don't think they were available when our boats were produced...they are brand new and I suspect that they were introduced to correct the leak problem...
Maybe C-Dory will convert their future production boats to these new hatches, and offer us discunts on replacement hatches.

Joel
SEA3PO
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good set of hatches would go a long way towards making the system liveable. I know spray and rain deliver a lot of the water to the lazarette, but still believe that there is some condensation in there even when there's no rain or spray, and that w/o some good ventilation, we'll always have some water in there.

My older boat even has different lids than those that were used up until the most recent switch.

I'll have to check out the size of the inspection and access hatches available to see which ones might be usable on the older boat.

Still would like some positive ventilation as well, though!

Need to design some solar powered fan system to move air through them during the day that would itself be weatherproof.

Joe.
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t have a lazarette on my boat, so I am just guessing about a solution for those of you that have warped hatches.

To take the warp out, glue a wooden strip (cedar will work good, it is not susceptible to warping) on the bottom side of your lid, as in my drawing below. Don’t know how the latch works, so you may have to notch the middle of the piece glued on, for the latch to slide through. If a long stiffener will not work because of the design of the lit and latch assembly, maybe two short ones on the short sides will work.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: