Second anchor suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are a little strange in some of what we carry but in this case it does work for us and maybe others. We don't carry a normal second rode and anchor but instead we carry what we can use more frequently and still provides backup functions.

We have two 50ft anchor buddies on board and each is rigged with its own 3ft length of 5/16 chain and small 1kg claw anchor on one and grapple on the other. I have other line on board and could connect the two together plus some other line to make an easy 200+ft double anchored rode that would slow us down if the main is lost. We don't have a windlass so the only thing to go wrong with the main Rocna setup would be to lose it. The anchor buddies otherwise get used regularly for shore work and dinghy management and I have been known to hang one directly down off the bow eye while anchored with the main to simple reduce our swing in very protected sites. Works well and I have been surprised how well these small anchors can hold in bottoms we frequent. The claw is stronger holding in my experience but the grapple provides different holding properties when needed and enough for the dink anytime.

Greg

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting about your anchor setups, Aurelia.

I have a setup that was my dinghy rode from a previous boat (I carried it in the dinghy, in other words), and, somewhat to my surprise, I found it really handy for various uses aboard the 22 at Powell. I can't remember the exact details, but it's something like 75' of 3/8" 3-strand; 20' of chain (1/4" I think); and then a tiny Bruce - I think a pound or so. That anchor size because it would fit through the round deckplate on the dinghy stowage compartment.

This was one setup for which I actually did "throw out the anchor" in some (but not all) cases. Anyway, very handy for numerous purposes.

I also carry a main on the bow roller, which is a 15# Manson Supreme, ~225' of 1/2" Brait, and 25' of 1/4" G4 chain, and a second setup (in a duffel bag) which is a 9# Bruce clone, ~250' of 1/2" 3-strand, and 20' of 1/4" G4 chain. The Bruce clone is slightly ungainly for carrying around the boat/in the dinghy, etc. so I am going to try a small Guardian (Thanks, Casey!). Not sure it will replace the Bruce clone though.... maybe it will be a (fourth!) anchor aboard. Good thing two are very small/light Very Happy
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Bob is correct, as usual. Kelp is really really bad for holding and can't be trusted.

When I started anchoring around Santa Cruz in the '70s, anchorages such as Pelican Harbour were fairly clear of kelp and I could find patches of sand for my (Danforth) anchor to dig in. The last time I was there, last year, there were only 3 boats in Pelican and when I tried anchoring all we could find was kelp. We tried to set the anchor through the kelp into the sand, but I honestly think that all we got was kelp. We found the same conditions at Frys Harbour. Ic

Bob is also correct in that everybody thinks their anchor is the best, just like religion. We left Pelican and went to the Ventura Yacht Club for a day. Every type of anchor was on the bow of the various boats and they all thought theirs was best. Yes, I asked. So when I discuss an anchor I try to give a few reasons why I think an anchor is good for various conditions. I think all anchors have their good and bad points.

Boris

Yikes Boris
Lets not wish for the destruction of kelp-- just for a secure anchor site
Kelp-Kelp forests are underwater areas with a high density of kelp. They are recognized as one of the most productive and dynamic ecosystems on Earth.[1] Wiki quote

3-Work at rebuilding the endangered runs of salmonids on the West Coast
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Channel Islands is one of 5 major marine sanctuaries on the West Coast. Certainly that should help to increase the kelps survival and proliferation there. (Monterey, Farallones Cordell Bank, and Olympic Coast are the other sanctuaries, where the kelp forests are being re-established.) Over all there has continued a decline in the Giant and Bull Kelp forests along the West Coast. There are many factors involved in the decline of the Kelp forests, and their restoration.

I doubt that Boris wished for any harm to th Kelp forests, and that was just an observation. I can remember since the 50's having to look for sandy patches to set the anchor in all of the channel Islands. This is good stewardship. In Florida there are steep fines for harming grass beds in certain areas. Yet it seems to be well established that tug and barge traffic has largely impacted the grass beds along the Gulf Coast ICW. Although there are many difference between the Pacific kelp, and the Gulf Coast Sea Grasses, there are many similarities, in that they are essential for the ecosystems health in the ocean.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: longline gear! Reply with quote

Most aren't fortunate enough to have this privilege, but I usually carry a subsistence longline complete with a decent danforth anchor with my old rode and chain on it, as well as a small danforth that isn't bad as a stern anchor sometimes, but wouldn't hold the boat in any kind of current or blow.

Thus, I can pull my longline with a buoy (that is pretty tricky to do and not lose fish!), and have a backup anchor without any extra gear!

BUT, now that I'm reading, I think I might swap that steel thing out for a Fortress. Then that extra anchor can pack up under the settee (where the current one is) and leave room for more stuff!

Thanks for asking a good question that got me thinking about my setup!
thataway

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One caution about Danforth's. There are real High Test Danforth anchors. These have almost an identical pattern as the Fortress, with the "T" inner part of the fluke. These currently come in 5# 12# and 20# (Plus larger which we are not interested in. They are excellent anchors. They are better steal, and drop forged. But, they do not have the "mud position" of the 45 degree fluke angle, which the Fortress has. This gives the Fortress almost twice the holding power in soft ooze mud.

There are probably more fake "Danforth" anchors, out of thick gauge folded Sheet metal than any other anchor or around. I have a collection of them in my garage, which have come with various small boats thru the years. In sand, they work fine, in most cases. But if the going gets tough, they are more likely to bend, break or come out of the bottom.

Another anchor loved by many cruisers along the East Coast is the SuperMax. Update, they are going to be produced in Virginia shortly, and now have a #9 (10lbs), for boats up to 3,000 lbs--at only $99. The next size up, is $350 and called the #12 @ 18 lbs. for a boat up to 5,000 lbs. The next is the #18 (28 lbs) and good for a boat up to 10,000 lbs, @ $450. The #18 comes in both a adjustable and fixed fluke angle, at the same price.. The claim is that less scope is better in some circumstances…Hard for most of us to get our heads around. I have written to the owner asking about the #9, and may try it on the C Dory 22.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueback,

I wonder if you've been to the Channel Isles, off Santa Barbara? They're one of the homes of the deep bull kelp forests and a ring of kelp surrounds the islands except for a few entrances. I've motored out there in the dinghy and it's amazing to see the stalks rise up out of the depths with the fish wending their way amongst them. As a matter of fact, they've stopped cutting the kelp forests off Point Loma and that forest is thicker than ever. I don't think kelp is disappearing from SoCal. It's beautiful, but don't take your boat there. I did once when I was learning, it wrapped around the prop and killed the engine. Had to wait until the waves pushed me inshore to start the engine and get out of there. Once again, luck beats skill. And don't cut the Entrance bouy into San Diego Harbor, you'll be coming to a stop in the kelp.

If you get the chance, visit Santa Cruz Island. You'll find that the "harbours" are just an indent in back of some point, a couple of acres. Losing a little kelp off the bottom there is of little consequence. There's still a lot floating around the harbour and just outside the surf line. And you can see the stuff grow, the bull kelp grows a couple of feet a day.

If you're used to the Pacific NW, kelp may be a precious commodity. Certainly it's never interfered with my anchoring there. I enjoy both SoCal and the PNW but they are different. And need different anchors.

Boris
Blueback

City/Region: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Blueback
Photos: Blueback
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
Blueback,

I wonder if you've been to the Channel Isles, off Santa Barbara? They're one of the homes of the deep bull kelp forests and a ring of kelp surrounds the islands except for a few entrances. I've motored out there in the dinghy and it's amazing to see the stalks rise up out of the depths with the fish wending their way amongst them. As a matter of fact, they've stopped cutting the kelp forests off Point Loma and that forest is thicker than ever. I don't think kelp is disappearing from SoCal. It's beautiful, but don't take your boat there. I did once when I was learning, it wrapped around the prop and killed the engine. Had to wait until the waves pushed me inshore to start the engine and get out of there. Once again, luck beats skill. And don't cut the Entrance bouy into San Diego Harbor, you'll be coming to a stop in the kelp.

If you get the chance, visit Santa Cruz Island. You'll find that the "harbours" are just an indent in back of some point, a couple of acres. Losing a little kelp off the bottom there is of little consequence. There's still a lot floating around the harbour and just outside the surf line. And you can see the stuff grow, the bull kelp grows a couple of feet a day.

If you're used to the Pacific NW, kelp may be a precious commodity. Certainly it's never interfered with my anchoring there. I enjoy both SoCal and the PNW but they are different. And need different anchors.

Boris

Boris you have great posts and you do have an affinity to kelp after all -LOL
My home base is in the Pacific northwest - Vancouver Island- so that where I boat.
The westcoast of BC is trying to rebuild from an Alaskan transplant process - sea otters. Beautiful little creatures who love kelp. I copy a little info on the symbiotic relationship sea otters have to kelp.
Sea otter wrapped in kelp (Photo credit: Linda Tanner)
Sea otters are considered a keystone species because of the crucial ecological role they play in maintaining the health and stability of the nearshore marine ecosystem. Without sea otters, sea urchins and other herbivorous invertebrates are left unchecked to graze through swathes of giant kelp forests, creating barren stretches of coastal habitat behind them that once served as nurseries for fish, seals and hordes of other sea life. Now, a new study published in the journal Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment demonstrates that the effects of otters stretch beyond the habitat that kelp forests provide, even affecting the amount of carbon in our atmosphere.
Despite their short lives by plant standards, kelps siphon huge amounts of carbon from the atmosphere—what scientists call “primary productivity.” They take carbon dioxide from the air and turn it into sugar fuel with the help of sunlight and water, releasing oxygen back into the air. “Their productivity is on par with a tropical rainforest in terms of the amount of carbon they turn over in a year,” says ecologist Chris Wilmers of the University of California, Santa Cruz, one of the study’s authors. Unhindered by a lack of sunlight, water or nutrients as many plants on land are, kelp “just produces like crazy,” says co-author and biologist Jim Estes.
Cheers to Kelp and theirs buddies the otters.
Geoff
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon has a great buy on the #9 Delta, I only use 10ft of chain and this device DIGS in. The danforth is just old technology. Oh I'm a 16 so maybe consider more weight not sure you need the weight because this thing DIGS in when you set it properly.
thataway

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimicliff wrote:
The danforth is just old technology. .

You mean old because it was invented about 75 years ago, and is one of the inventions which helped the US win WWII?

Don't discount the Danfoth design. It is the exact same design for the Fortress, but the Fortress is in aluminum, making it lighter. If you could modify or build a Danforth HT to the 45 degree fluke angle it would perform as well or better than the Fortress in mud. In mud, the Delta performs very poorly.

The Danforth HT/Fortress design is excellent, and should be on everyone's boating kit. There are certainly places where the plow type (remember that the Delta is descended from the CQR plow(originated in early 1930's), which was(still is for some) the standard anchor for longer than the Danforth. The latest generation of anchors--including the Manson Supremen, Ronca, spade etc are far newer than the Delta, and are replacing the Delta or Claw (Bruce) on many serious cruising boats.

If you had a bad experience with a "Danforth"--I'll bet it was not a "High Test", or you were anchoring in rocks etc.

As for "old technology", don't discount the Fisherman type of anchor--probably one of the first true anchors--it still excels in certain conditions, and I carried one on my cruising boats, and I would carry one today, if I was Cruising in a large boat.

Old technology is not bad..!
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Old technology is not bad..!

Bob, like you I have amassed a collection of anchors over the years(some of them are lawn ornaments now) but one that I carry and use often is a 15 pound navy. Old school but I like it. Never overnighted in anything but a well protected anchorage though and I also drop a 7pd. slip ring off the bow with limited scope to assist and limit swing. I use a PWC (3pd. slip ring) anchor as a stern tie - 30ft. rode(no chain) attached to the stern eye(under swim platform) and thrown towards shore. The trick is to hold the anchor and half the rode coiled up in one hand, about a 6ft. space then the rest of the rode coiled up in the other hand. Throw the anchor and first coil (underhanded) and as soon as it is released throw the second coil. If you are superstitious though ask the sea gods to forgive your sin of throwing an anchor Wink

Regards, Rob

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
you'll be coming to a stop in the kelp.

A little bit of a derail for an anchoring thread, but I've had kelp almost tear an outboard off of a skiff while running on step in very familiar waters, but at night. Glad to have not quite learned the hard way! It poses an issue for navigating, as well as anchoring, and not yet mentioned, can make anchor pulling a challenge, not so much from hanging onto your anchor, but from constant stripping of kelp leaves from your rode. That said, I have done caught some impressive halibut in 30' of water by anchoring in kelp (with a bona-fide high-test danforth), so...
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Stern storage Reply with quote

With fortress fx 7,can you get it to break down to fit in stern,step storage lockers? Want to keep chain and rhode in there,hoping may be able to fit anchor? Being that space is limited and trying to keep deck and other areas open for use trying to think of better organization for next trip. Don't want milk crate in way if possible. thanks.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 23, but it would be hard to keep the 7 Fortress broken down in the 22 lazarette. Don't know about the step lockers, because of the width of the fluke. I keep all 3 of mine under the dinette seat, along with their rodes, a shovel, a spare prop, prop wrench extra dock lines etc. It only takes a couple of seconds to grab the assembled anchor and a rode for deployment.

If you want to leave the lines outside, then hang them in the cockpit from the sides if necessary.
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: danforth Reply with quote

Danforth anchors have been around for a while and work well. My uncle piloted a Higgins boat in WWII and told me that the way they refloated landing craft stuck on the beach was to take a danforth back from each quarter and, with the engine in fast forward, winching the boat out to deeper water, the prop wash digging it's own channel. Amazing holding power.

One problem I have found with them is holding in an environment with shifting tides (Bahamas). A CQR or Delta will reset and dig itself back in, as the boat changes 180 degrees with the tide. A Danforth will often foul itself and skate along on its back, refusing to hook back up. Not an issue with a Bahamian, 2 anchor rig, but I would never use a one danforth primary in this situation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: