BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left the Kenai Peninsula this morning, certainly going to miss it but WILL be back with our CD22. It'll give me something to plan during Wisconsin's winter months. Two more years before we do this fulltime while our youngest enjoys his college years.

On our way to Valdez... gradually.

The Portage Glacier trail yesterday was beautiful.

Nice sunny day today.

breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We passed a Winnebago View Friday last night along the Seward highway about 40 miles south of Anchorage on the right, was that you? Either way, looked like a nice rig. We want to fly east, buy an RV and drive cross country back to Alaska, than sell the RV. What sweetens this plan is I'll probably make a profit on the RV.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
BRAZO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

breausaw wrote:
We passed a Winnebago View Friday last night along the Seward highway about 40 miles south of Anchorage on the right, was that you? Either way, looked like a nice rig. We want to fly east, buy an RV and drive cross country back to Alaska, than sell the RV. What sweetens this plan is I'll probably make a profit on the RV.

Yes, that was probably us. We stayed in the last 'scenic' turnout before you get to Girdwood. Great views and an easy travel into Anchorage this morning.

Great idea on buying on the east coast and selling in Alaska. My problem is that I'm addicted to mod's on the RV and boat, so I can't get myself to sell.

You're very fortunate to live so close on the Kenai Peninsula - we loved it and will be back. And we want to explore your playground!!

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a07a538ddea1dca24
BRAZO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stayed along Knik River last night. Felt more like Texas than Alaska with the ATVs loud music etc - enjoyed our stay.

On the way to Valdez with the huge Wrangell mountains in front of us. Four right in front of us that are 12000ft or more with one being a volcano. Crazy beautiful up here.
BRAZO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Valdez for the evening. Walked around the marina and saw a number of C-Dory's including a Ventura 29. The 29 is one big boat, quite different from most of the C-Dory's (looked like a great boat). Also saw a C-Dory with an inboard - looked like an angler.

Raining day, but a rainy day in Alaska is much better than a sunny day in Wisconsin.
BRAZO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now boondocking in Haines, AK along the ocean. Tomorrow will begin the 'boating' portion of our trip. We'll take the ferry with the RV over to Juneau where my wife and son will fly home. I'll then take the Alaska Marine highway ferry (with motorhome) to Sitka, Wrangell, Ketchikan, and Prince Rupert over the next week. Then I'll drive to Vancouver to pick up my wife at the airport and down to Blaine to get our CD22 from storage. Then a couple weeks cruising the San Juan's.

Can't wait for the 'boating' portion!!!

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=a07a538ddea1dca24
BRAZO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are now in Juneau after the ferry ride from Haines. The ferry ride was great with many glaciers, goats, and Whales along the way. We had mostly sunny skies so the mountains were completely visible. Sunny and nice so far in Juneau. We'll hang out in Juneau today and tomorrow morning take the ferry to Sitka.

We have traveled 7000 miles so far on this trip (50k in last two years) and have about 3000 to go. We average about 18mpg compared to a gentlemen I spoke to that has done 17k miles on his current trip at 7mpg. A bit of a difference but we have learned to 'forget' the fuel prices at the pump and just enjoy the trip.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some of that trip you are doing, but in a 31' Winnebago Brave with the V10 some time ago. I remember those days of 7mpg.... But money well spent considering the scenery, education and experience for my family. Enjoy your time as you are Robert, life is short and many regret not doing what they could have done earlier! I have many happy memories as I follow your path here. Colby
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current RV gets around 12 mpg or sometimes a shade more (V-10). Then either the same or a bit less when towing the C-Dory (10+ mpg).

I liked the idea of 18 mpg (who doesn't!) when RV shopping, but when I did the math it didn't pencil out for me. Couple of reasons:

1) Of the RV's on the Sprinter chassis, only the ones after 2008 (as I remember it) could tow 5,000#. Rigs that new were very expensive compared to mine.

2) The service costs looked like they would be higher for the Sprinter than for my Ford chassis. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I put it in my calculator.

So for me, it would be many more than 17,000 miles of the "extra" fuel before I would even touch the cost of the Sprinter. I was actually surprised at how much "extra" fuel one could buy before things "evened out." It was a lot. The funny thing is, there IS some psychological benefit to getting great mileage and buying less fuel at the pump, even if it costs more ultimately (purchase/maintenance cost). So I have to remember that when I'm only getting 12 mpg.

But of course cost isn't the only reason to choose one RV over another, or we would all be driving 1979 Dodge Tradesman based rigs (or the like). Preferences play a big part. I just mention this since the topic came up and on first blush it would sound like the person getting 7 mpg was way behind financially.

One other factor for me was the likelihood of finding service/shops/parts for my rig in the boonies (Ford is pretty common). On the other hand, I suspect I might prefer the driving experience/ergonomics of the Sprinter and could see myself owning one someday. Right now the ones that will tow my C-Dory are a little bit "too new," and also there isn't really a layout I like for my current travel style. That last part rules it out regardless of cost (i.e. I wouldn't always buy the rig that penciled out the cheapest if that wasn't what I also wanted).

Choosing RV's.... you can talk about it nearly as long as you can about choosing a boat (maybe not quite as fun though).
BRAZO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree - so many personal choices. We LOVE seeing folks in big, small, old, new, beat up RV's, boats, tents, sleeping bags, etc.

Like the Nike ad - Just do it ... and now!
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAZO wrote:
Yep, I agree - so many personal choices. We LOVE seeing folks in big, small, old, new, beat up RV's, boats, tents, sleeping bags, etc.

Me too! You'd think I'd get tired of it, but no, any time I see another RV coming toward me (on the opposite side), I have to look to see. And of course in fuel stations, parking lots, etc. Even more fun if it is a quirky one Very Happy Of course the same goes for boats, but I'm less surprised at my endless interest in those.
BRAZO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stayed in Sitka last night and today headed to Wrangell. Beautiful cruising area on the way into Sitka via the ferry. Certainly will be on my to-do list. Rained most of the time but stayed in the Forest Service campground which really had the rain forest feel - which I loved. Only problem was that I was not able to get my run done today because there were reports of grizzly in the campground.

Off to the ferry terminal for a 13hr ferry ride to Wrangell.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I learned from my Coast Guard time in Kodiak is, it's not about the weather, but the rain gear! Smile Sitka is an interesting place. I fondly remember of two stories. One of us flying in there in the CG C130 with the admiral. The women of the station had a dance team in the native tradition with beautiful costumes. We pulled in to the chocks, and the admiral got off to a demonstration. Our crew popped up an opening on top the cockpit and climbed out on the wings for a great view! The second memory is of one of our pilots that was a big guy and a big eater. There was a restaurant in Sitka with an all you could eat salad bar. He had ordered steak and after several trips to the salad bar, one of the employees said something to him about eating a bit too much salad for one meal....so he ordered and ate another steak. Smile Folks talk about the cost of food in Alaska. But one thing I remember was the proportions were always more also! Did you enjoy the totem poles of Sitka? Colby
BRAZO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Colby

No, didn't get to see the totem poles. I did walk around downtown and read a bit of the history and the turnover of Alaska from Russia. That would be a great area to be stationed. I'm guessing you have many stories from that area as it is so unique.
BRAZO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got into Wrangell last night around 3AM via the ferry. It was a 13hr ferry ride with many many breaching whale sightings along the way. Saw one whale come completely out of the water - that was spectacular!!

Will be in Wrangell until Friday morning then I'll take the ferry to Ketchikan for a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: