Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

That 17 pitch will only work if you have the HP to turn it!
You have 25 to 45 more hp than most 22's! Wink

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
Redƒox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that ... Smile Laughing If the companies would just put in reduction-gears (a does Suzy) the smaller motors could turn a nice steep prop Exclamation
My Yami will sling a 19 no problemo, but I get overloaded, and like the snap of the 17 pitch Thumbs Up Razz
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, I'm gonna be sorry I dredged this back up!

I was looking back through this discussion because I just put on a different prop to try (haven't got it wet yet), and I came across this very good question that I must have somehow missed previously:
Quote:
Why in tarnation would you want to spin a prop faster in the water, to achieve the same hull-speed as a lower-geared outboard?

Certainly Dogon Dan or Dadgum Joe could explain it better, or at the very least use fancier words, but here's a mechanic's take on that. The higher the final drive ratio, the broader the useful range of prop RPM. Assuming the functional rpm range of the motor is between 1000 and 5000, an outboard with a 2.00:1 gear case ratio will turn the prop from 500 to 2500 rpm. An outboard with a 2.60:1 ratio will turn the prop from 385 to 1923 rpm. With the higher geared 2:1 drive, you get a useful prop rpm range of 2000, whereas the lower geared unit has a useful range of 1538 at the prop. That's a difference of nearly 25%, and will allow more flexibility in tuning the hull performance to sea conditions, boat loading, and engine efficiency. It's the difference between having a three speed on the column versus 4-on-the-floor. (We'll be able to spot the youngsters in the crowd here by watching who asks what a three on the column is.) Of course, with the lower gears, you will be able to turn a larger propeller which has benefits in itself. It really depends on what your desired use is. Kind of the same reason John Deere tractors have granny gears with huge drive wheels while Corvettes have little tires and overdrive.

I really don't have a logic based opinion on which brand of OB is superior, but I am betting that Honda didn't become the most popular and most dependable 4-stroke manufacturer in the world because it took so long for the other guys to figure out that Honda got the gears wrong. (Sorry RF, but I had a bad day.) I bought a Dodge 3500 with 4.10 gears to tow the TyBoo, and Larry got a Dodge 3500 with 3.73 gears to tow the Helen O. He's going to get better fuel economy running empty than I will, but I can beat him to the top of any fair sized hill if we're both pulling a CD25. (Neither of us race anymore, so the top end speed on the flats doesn't come into play.) So who has the better truck? Certainly not some nerd driving a Ford! Comparing our use of the trucks, knowing I drive many more miles empty than Larry does, his higher gears would actually suit my use better. But he likes silver paint and dual rear wheels, while I like my blue and singles. And since both of us got the deal we wanted on the truck we wanted when we wanted it, we took what we got. Did one of us make a mistake? (If I did, don't tell my wife, because we paid close to 35 grand for it.) Since both of us are driving Dodges, I should think our choices were ideal.

And a correction to an earlier post on this thread, where I said:
Quote:
The 13" Honda aluminum made 6000 (and maybe a hair more) rpm quickly, with a speed that was too slow at cruise rpm. The 13" Honda branded stainless prop I have on there now (with the same dia. and pitch numbers as the aluminum) goes up to 5900 rpm, and provides an acceptable, albeit slower than I would like, cruise speed at 4500 rpm.
I looked at the back of the stainless prop tonight when I pulled it, and it is 13" diameter (13 x 13 x 3). The aluminum prop was 3/4" larger in diameter (13 3/4x13x3). The prop I just stuck on is 13 3/4x15x3. The last 15" pitch I tried was a Michigan wheel at 13.5" diameter, and it made no more than 5000 WOT. This is some odd brand that I am trying next, and it has some different characteristics to it than the Honda brands. Any guess as to what the WOT and the cruise speed at 1000 under WOT will be?
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike-

Sounds like you had a bad day, and are still mad about missing Blakely!

Good discussion of gearing in outboards!!! Like you say everything in gear and prop selection involves a series of trade-offs in trying to find the optimum solution for a specific application, as well as the fact that different people have different preferences that are also major factors in the decision making process.

Not much point in re-hashing most of what you've said, as it's all true except for the sideways pot-shots at Ford, the Nerd, other outboard brands, Red Fox, and Mother Nature.

You do have a very good point about the higher geared drive ratios have a greater range of rpm operation at the prop. This is very good, but also has its downside, in that the higher prop rpms lead to greater frictional losses, but this is relatively minor.

Gear ratio is like pitch, diameter, number of blades, blade design, and several other factors: each element in the interactive whole has to have its point of greatest return traded off away from its optimum to accommodate all the other factors which in turn must do the same as they cannot all be optimized absolutely at the same time. What we're seeking, then, is to find the combination of factors that give us the best possible performance we can get that suits our needs and style preferences.

To get the best efficiency in terms of energy and momentum exchange, we'd use a low gear ratio (2.3-2.6:1), turning the prop slowly to reduce frictional losses, use a large diameter prop, a higher pitch, and more blades. This would lead to less friction, less slip, and a more efficient push on the water with less losses to blade surface friction and push the boat through the water with less energy loss and better momentum exchange, just like the long oar, long slow stoke analogy. The problem here is that there isn't much room for error or accommodation. It's just like your truck analogy with the gears set up for highway freewheeling. Very little accommodation for various speeds and loads, etc. This might work if we had lots of extra torque and power.

We could go the other way and go for maximum accommodation:
High gear ratio (2-2.3:1), thereby speeding up the prop, using a smaller prop, with fewer blades, and less pitch. We would be able to turn the prop far easier, have more slip, acceleration, and more accommodation, but would suffer higher frictional losses on the blade surfaces and not as efficiently push the boat forward through the water just like with the short oar and fast, furious stroke analogy.

This is a bit over-simplified, but it does point out that we can go too far in either direction. The problem is to find the optimum middle ground on a whole bunch of variables, and we haven't even considered the boat, the loading, and sea condition variables. Add in elevation, temperature, and humidity changes, and the search for the universal prop becomes increasingly difficult!!

Your point is to have a gear ratio that works like a good middle range accomodating transmission in a truck, and it's a very good one. Mr. Fox has lots of extra power and torque and is more concerned with limiting prop ventilation in choppy water. Please don't point out to him he has a 2.07:1 ratio in that big Yammy!!!

Got to go to other fun things, including a dental appt.! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be the know-nothing amateur here but here's my take on it....

I bought my boat with twin Honda's and whatever props they put on them at the factory - don't know what they are, don't care, have a spare in a box.

Boat goes fast enough (27kts under ideal conditions), boat goes slow enough (1.8 kts on a single engine)Wink .

Roger on the SeaDNA

TyBoo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Boat goes fast enough .....boat goes slow enough

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that Roger!

Another thing that you have to take into consideration is the engine driving the prop. It could be that Suzuki chose the grear ratio they did because they wanted to put the power curve of the motor in a different place than say Honda or Yamaha chose.

Anyway this has certainly been an interesting thread!

dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
TyBoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing out of the box, let me qualify my stake in this discussion. I really thought my simplistic comment earlier put the common boat owner's needs in the proper perspective. That comment being:
TyBoo wrote:
I am inclined too think that pitch is pitch, and through the water is where I want it to go

But I admit without reservation that I was out-englished by a biologist (we'll get to the science teacher in due time) when Roger reduced the concept to its purest form:
rogerbum wrote:
Boat goes fast enough .....boat goes slow enough

I think the quest for perfection here is not worth the perceptible difference between it and near-perfection. As for me, I have limited resources at the moment, and finite ambition as well, so I am content to try the options at hand with the collection of props I already have, and select what seems to work the best. But that's just me this week. I certainly encourage others so inclined to refine the science.

So, now that you know I am not arguing, nor trying to disprove or dissuade, let's continue.

"Whatya know" is right! I don't dispute the math that I probably couldn't work out anyway, and I trust that the gallons per minute/prop rpm relationship is linear throughout the entire range so that at any given motor rpm the gpm calculation is the same for both models. Therefore I accept this:
Quote:
It is not true that the wider rpm range means a more useful rpm range.

So, while not dismissed, the engineer is relieved of further input on this particular aspect of the discussion. Feel free to contribute to the rest of it.

Now, if I were sitting in Joe's science class having this discussion, I would raise my hand and seek some further clarification here:
Quote:
This is very good, but also has its downside, in that the higher prop rpms lead to greater frictional losses, but this is relatively minor.

Wouldn't a physically larger propeller have also a larger surface area in contact with the water? And because it is doing more work in less time, create more force between the water and the surface area in order to achieve the same result? And wouldn't those factors reduce the "relatively minor" downside to an even less consequential consideration?

Furthermore, being the consummate class smart aleck, I would try to steer away from the intellectual discussion to focus on this comment:
Quote:
...the sideways pot-shots at Ford, the Nerd, other outboard brands, Red Fox, and Mother Nature.

The potshots were not at all sideways. The hit to the Nerd was intended to be direct, and Ford just happens to be the best means to get to him. He likes that, you see, and responds well to it. Other outboard brands took no hit at all - I simply stated industry accepted fact. As for Greg, it was not so much a potshot as an attempt to help him open his mind a little so that he doesn't give up boating when his trusted Yamaha wears out as any piece of machinery ever made eventually will when used as intended. And just acknowledging that shows my great respect for Mother Nature.

Dan - If they do not make the prop you need, might you consider a ProPulse adjustable? At least for the sake of experimentation before putting the hammer to a piece of metal that costs more to replace. Or if not the four bladed ProPulse, maybe a conventional four blade prop? It is my simple minded understanding that a four blade on these small outboards produce a result comparable to a three blade with a 1" higher pitch.

And by the way, you're welcome!
Quote:
Actually I'm glad you did

Ain't this fun?
dogon dory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Propeller Pitch Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-

Sounds like you're "swearing off" on propeller discussions! Is there a group you can join like AA? I think I'll join you! Maybe we can get Mike to join too! Then we can sit around and find something else to divert our attention to like discussing whether twins or a single with a kicker is better.

Too bad this whole thing is so complex that it's hard to come up with solid, simple, easy to follow answers. But it's just that problem, exactly, that leads to these endless discussions. I'll try my best to bow out here.

Mike-

As far a friction with the water is concerned, it might seem that the larger propeller's greater surface area turning at a slower speed would be an equal trade off with the smaller one turning at a faster speed, but unfortunately friction in water goes up exponentially with the speed as opposed to arithmetically. For example, to put it in easier terms, if you double the speed, the friction goes up to four times* as great, not two times as great.

So the smaller, faster turning propeller winds up wasting more energy through friction to try to move the same amount of water. Since the smaller, faster turning one wastes a little more energy in friction, it can't move as much water, and the thrust forward to the boat is a little less, and the boat is a little slower, but not much.

In addition, my somewhat cavalier comments about the "potshots" were just another attempt to humor the "dry" discussion along, just as yours were!

* I don't remember if the exponent here is 2 or 3 or some other number, but this illustrates the idea.

Peace on the Propeller Front.

Joe.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?? You mean that's it? Oh well, I'm going over to the whale thread.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo Mike, if your looking for more action you could wander over to Ifish and ask about taking your ThunderJet out tuna fishing
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, and all the others in the pub --

This has been a most useful discussion, for those in the pub and those joining. We can each, individually, select those comments that best pertain to our boat's needs -- Thanks from us, and, we think, from new and future owners for the thoughtful and experienced responses -- El and Bill

dogon dory

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: