City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sunbeam,
Your suggestions are appreciated and I did think of those. Like joe, the bonded threaded rod with a nyloc nut on the back would get better purchase with the vibrational stresses that may loosen machine bolts treaded into an epoxy plug. I like the idea of bonding fiberglass cleats to the sole, but may have to glass in wooden stringers as it is difficult to find premade fiberglass angle here. I would like to re-use the existing cleats and panel if I could.
Grazer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
I bonded the entire cleat to the boat with thickened epoxy. In my case I can easily get the fuel tanks in and out with the cleats in place (by lifting them up and over) (yes, I did think to check Very Happy), so I couldn't see any reason I would need the cleats to be easily removable. This gave me much, much more bonding surface than a small stud and was cheaper too (just used epoxy). I used pre-formed fiberglass angle for both and adjusted placement of the forward one so that it would also anchor the cover panels and hold down straps.

Sunbeam,
How did you bond the pre-formed fiberglass angle? Just thickened epoxy, or thichened epoxy, glass mat combo? What exactly was the fiberglass angle made of? I found this from grainger.com:
http://www.grainger.com/category/fiberglass-angle-stock/fiberglass/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-c15
It says it is fiberglass stock but made of Isopthalic Polyester Fire-Retardant Resin (ISOFR), does anybody know if epoxy would bond this material?
Any pictures? Thanks again.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours looked a bit like the pic posted by Sunbeam when we bought it. I pulled everything out and slighly enlarged the holes in the floor strip, cleaned out and resealed the floor holes, re-padded the tanks, and re-drilled and connected the thin panels/aluminum angles for better alignment. I basically used the existing parts to improve the configuration and it turned out fine. Our cockpit will remain a dry space as we use it but if I were to keep it open and wet, I would have permanently mounted the strips to the floor and put in my own simple strap based hold-down system.

The way those tanks sit and the motions of the boat in normal use kept me from getting carried away with the strength of the mounts.

Heck, just the stiffness of that darn fill hose keeps them pretty well in place.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grazer wrote:

How did you bond the pre-formed fiberglass angle? Just thickened epoxy, or thichened epoxy, glass mat combo?

I simply bonded them to the boat with WEST 610 pre-thickened epoxy and a small fillet. I debated grinding off the gelcoat first (the "proper" way), but decided that I would try it as is (there is a large bonding area) and the worst case would be if one started to fail then I would do it "properly." I think there is a reasonably good chance they will be just fine the way I did them. They are certainly a thousand times better than stock (including the physics of the hold-down straps, which were previously attached to the free standing tops of the old cover panels!)

I used the basic "green" FRP from McMaster-Carr (easy to mail order in the US 48; not sure about where you are.... www.mcmaster.com). It is a polyester resin based product with some glass in it (they have stronger products made with epoxy but not necessary for this). If you can order from McMaster, they are somewhat similar to Grainger and have a fantastic online catalog, plus are easy to get on the phone for questions. Search "FRP angle" on their site and you will get to the main page. Part number 8542K11 is one that I used.

Bruce Pfund (at least IIRC it was him) pointed out that the "electrical grade" (red) FRP did not bond as well - at least to cloth - as the other types, so I quit using it some years ago; I'm not sure about the fire retardant (which I think is grey from McMaster), but decided to stick with "regular" that I was familiar with (the dark green polyster for usual stuff; the lighter green G10/epoxy for high grade tasks).

Note that while polyester resin does not make a great secondary bond (hence one reason I use epoxy), when you are using a cured product (such as this pre-made angle) then that's not an issue (what I mean is that the wet resin you are using is what you want to be epoxy). The epoxy resin/G10 pre-made fiberglass is stronger and "better," if one needs it, but not because of the active bonding.

One could certainly use something else, too (besides the angle). I had some and it happened to fit my plans for the cleats and new cover panels.

I don't think I have any photos, but I will check. I have been meaning to write this project up.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading thru the posts from today: I believe that well cleaned rod, placed into the areas previously drilled out, and set with epoxy will be very difficult to remove. This should give a very strong bond. Using the washer and Nylox nut will work fine.

Epoxy to "glue" fiberglass angles, or square tubes etc will work fine. Just be sure that the glass on the angle and the bottom of the boat are well ground to fresh clean surface and clean of any wax or contaminate.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the factory drilled then right into the floor during the 90s to expose the core to water on my boat, then anything you do will be better. I would agree that if you set something in epoxy like all-thread or a rod, it will be tough to get out if done right. If fact, I have some screws in a door at home I used epoxy on that will not come out, period. I guess I should have drilled and threaded them in instead of just sticking them into wet epoxy. Amazing stuff for sure......
Grazer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas for your advise and words of wisdom (read encouragement). I think I'll try the threaded rod technique, since I have some on hand. As far as doing it right, my thoughts are as follows: First to drill out a pilot hole in the previous epoxy plug, tap with threads, wet out holes, mix in some cabosil in the remaining epoxy mix, apply to threads, thread to bottom and cure in place. Reattach cleats.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with using a tap in a fairly short hole, is that you may not be able to get the tap all of the way into the hole. You need to use what is called Blind hole taps: You start with a tap which as flat threads and a modest taper, then the second tap, is beginning to cut the threads--the final tap is almost square threads, and gives good threads all of the way to the bottom.

When using a blind hole tap you have to back it out more often than a thru tap, and best to use some compressed air to get debris and tailings out of the hole.

It is probably easier to over drill the hole, snug to the rid, and then put some epoxy into the hole, and also coat the threads with thickened epoxy,

The first way with blind hole, tap, you don't need much thickening.
Grazer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
It is probably easier to over drill the hole, snug to the rid, and then put some epoxy into the hole, and also coat the threads with thickened epoxy, .

Thanks Bob. I do have taps like that for a blind hole. I simply picked up a cheap single and ground down the pointy end. It works fine.
As for above, I'm not sure what you meant by "snug to the rid". Please elaborate.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of ideas/thoughts:

1) If you have a fastener epoxied into a hole, and you later want to remove it, try heating the fastener. I've had good luck with that method as epoxy is quite vulnerable to high heat (it softens). You can exploit that weakness.

2) Another way to do it in the first place (although it's more similar to tapping in that the fastener is not bonded into the hole) is to wax a fastener, then epoxy it into the hole, and then after the epoxy cures remove the fastener and de-wax it (or use an identical fresh fastener), and then use the hole much like you would a tapped one.

I've known the type of tap that can reach to the (flat) bottom of a hole as a bottoming tap, so perhaps that's another name for it. That's what I used on the trim tab fastener holes, for example.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a different between a blind hole tap and bottoming tap. The Blind hole comes in a set, and is more satisfactory for hard materials. The Bottoming tap only has chamfering for the first 1 to 2 threads-and will not fully thread to the bottom of the hole, unless there is a little taper (easy to do) on the last two threads of the bolt. The bottoming tap will also be a bit harder to use.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
There is a different between a blind hole tap and bottoming tap. The Blind hole comes in a set, and is more satisfactory for hard materials. The Bottoming tap only has chamfering for the first 1 to 2 threads-and will not fully thread to the bottom of the hole, unless there is a little taper (easy to do) on the last two threads of the bolt. The bottoming tap will also be a bit harder to use.

I'm wonder if I'm just using terminology wrong or if I have the "wrong" taps: The sizes for which I have the (so called) bottoming tap have three taps in the set (all three the same thread size in a little box). One is labelled "taper," one "plug," and one "bottom." I've actually never used the "plug" one, but used the taper and bottom for tapping blind holes in my boat. Should I be using something else? These seemed to work well, but if there is something better I'm all ears (as I expect to continue to tap epoxy for this and that).

Thanks.

Edited to add: I decided to look this up on Wikipedia for starters, since it seems silly to have numerous sets of three taps and not ever use one of them (or know why). My sets look like the first line drawing you come to on the right as you scroll down, which is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_and_die

I don't have tons of the sets, just a few in the sizes I use most often (1/4-20, 10-24, 8-32 IIRC)
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the correct set--use the Taper, then the plug and finally the bottoming. There is another way to do it and that is to use only one tap--which has chamfer on the first one or two and a half threads. Your final tap, assures that there are threads all of the way to the bottom of the hole. The single tap will not have complete threads to the bottom--although you may force or cut threads with the threaded rod or bolt (or booger up the last two threads)...
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation. If I remember correctly, I went right from the taper to the bottoming tap and everything felt good; perhaps that worked because even "hard" epoxy is softer than, say, steel. (I did also sometimes use a drill one size down from what was recommended.)

Next time I'll try progressing through all three though - maybe it will work even better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: