The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

King Marine Canvas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
It was in 2007 that the one who moved to the industrial site behind Anacortes Telescope did the canvas on Kingfisher I for us. He was previously down in the Goldie Rd. area of Oak Harbor.
We were probably his first project as he was building the shop at the same time. I keep meaning to pass by there and see if there is any sign of him.

Merv

BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried to get King Canvas to do our camperback work this spring, but apparently they had way too much business because they (Dave I believe) would never call us back.

But all worked out on our own.

Christopher-Robyn

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Christopher K.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: King Marine Canvas Reply with quote

I was very disappointed with the full boat cover King made for my 16 Angler. It was too short on both sides to cover the blue stripe, the tie down grommets had no protective flaps to prevent contact with the hull & the front opening arrangement for the anchor was really a bad design. I thought he had patterns for each C-Dory. Luckily, I found a local guy who did a great modification job! Wish I had known of him to begin with. Never again!
Paul K
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that it was because of similar comments about King that we went with Canvas Riggers even though they had parted ways.
The workmanship that I have seen from both of them was excellent and they had "tricks of the trade" and details that we had not even thought about.
For us, it is sad that two extremely talented people should drop out of the business in such a small area.
Wish we could find them again as we have more business but it takes more than one... to make it viable.

Merv
seabeagle

City/Region: Farmington Hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Beagle II - Sold 4-19-12
Photos: Sea Beagle II
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto here on issues with King. The camperback was OK I guess. I have no problems with the snaps but, my wife sometime does. Thought he was treating me like everyone else treats people from Michigan. Overall, too expensive, took too long (6 weeks but was nice enough to give me some extra canvas to make my own curtains with) and lacking service skills (possibly understaffed). I have some of picks of my camperback install in my mods photo album if it helps. I've also added additional snaps for trailering. The best way to open the sides is to unzip the top zipper first then the snaps from top to bottom. Reverse procedure to close.

http://www.youtube.com/SeaBeagleII
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, formerly in the Canvas Riggers partnership, was working with EQ when he built my camperback with two sets of zip-in windows -- one set in eisenglass and one in screen. The quality was excellent. At the time, Les thought Rick had more design talent. Some time later I contacted him again and he was no longer accepting work.

I subsequently found Rick's former partner, working by the telescope shop, and had a conversation with him about some mods. When he found out that Rick had built my camperback he was not a happy camper Xmas Naughty because he thought he had an agreement with Rick that that Rick would not continue to do canvas work. A few months later I went back to set up an appointment with the partner (forget his name) and he was literally locking the door permanently that day.

There has to be a good canvas guy near here to serve all these boats -- I just have yet to find him or her!

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In thinking about all this and the difficulty snapping etcetera, I had a possibly dumb thought. If my top is too tight I wonder what would happen if I unzipped the windows before trying to zip around the top. I have learned to do the snaps first while I can get at them but never unzipped the izenglass to see if that would supply more give to zip up. I did call dave at king marine yesterday and of course he was not available. I told his staff I wanted to come up 9/11 and have them do some adjustments but of course dave wasn't available that day. I have a feeling I am on my own.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd advise against snapping the bottom part of the panels down, then using the zippers to pull them together.

Too likely to break teeth off the zippers!!!

Then you DO have a problem!

The tools discussed above can be used to get ahold of the snaps and with two hands to stretch the fabric enough to get them snapped (sometimes).

Best preventative is to put the panels on often enough to keep them stretched out enough to fit. They seem to shrink up some in storage, particularly with heat.

Zippers can be lubricated lightly with Chapstick or silicone grease to keep them operating smoothly. They dry out with age and sunlight (UV & heat).

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2004, King did my camper back and drop curtain. I also had some mods done to the bimini (added a zipped piece to the forward attachment for ease of getting in and out of the boat. I think Canvas Riggers came up with this mod idea) I also had King split the berth cushion so that I could more easily access the forward storage hatch. Dave was very accommodating, did excellent work, and I have no complaints. It is good canvas work and still looks new today. The camperback can be hard to put on, but with the hand snap tool, (A MUST) and knowing the sequence of bows, zippers and snaps, it works fine.

Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
jhwilson

City/Region: Mitchell County
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Placid C
Photos: Placid C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Placid C came with a very nice bimini over the cockpit and with the necessary rigging to add side curtains later. The framing was durable stainless steel and I learned it was made by King Marine Canvas.

For some time we have been planning a trip on the Erie Canal with the group of Brats departing later this week. Of course the evenings will be spent on town walls and thus cabin privacy curtains are required. I first thought I'd order the Sunbrella material and make the curtains. However, after realizing that I would need heavy stitching and other tools I decided to order them from King since they had done such a good job on the bimini.

I called Dave on 8/17 and ordered the curtains. I followed up with an email. Both in the phone call and the email I explained that I needed the curtains well before mid-Sept due to the upcoming trip. In both the phone conversation and return email Dave assured me I'd have the curtains by early Sept. When I called King on 9/2 to inquire on the status a young lady told me that production of the curtains had been delayed since they had to order the Sunbrella material. She assured me they would be shipped on 9/4.

Not having received the shipment today, two days before departure, I called again. Supposedly the curtains were shipped on 9/8. However, the UPS tracking number I was given is not valid. As it stands now the young lady at King is attempting to get a valid number.

If no King curtains I guess I'll try to come up with something temporary, tacky though they may be, for the trip. I guess large towels or sheets cut to fit would be the logical alternative, held in place with velcro tape.

I'll definitely go elsewhere for the camper back sides.

Harper

Don and Brenda

City/Region: Camano Island, Wa
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: R-27 Tug
Photos: C-Quest
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On purchase of my boat from Boon Docks Boats, yes that is the SeaSport dealer in Bellingham and inquired about getting canvas work done, Jon Lindhout mentioned he uses 2 canvas makers locally, so might want to check that source out. Ane yes I had a great experience working with the SeaSport team.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: King Marine Canvas Reply with quote

Hi,
I wondered what is a price range for a camper back with 1" Stainless frame for a 22' Cruiser or 23' Venture.
D.D.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Camperback Reply with quote

Dave,

I seem to remember that ours was in the $1600 to $1800 range. If you get one, make sure that it has zippers in the top that will allow you to step down into the boat from a dock. Without the zipper, you either disconnect at the back of the cabin, or crawl in from hands and knees..

Steve

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhwilson wrote:

I called Dave on 8/17 and ordered the curtains. I followed up with an email. Both in the phone call and the email I explained that I needed the curtains well before mid-Sept due to the upcoming trip. In both the phone conversation and return email Dave assured me I'd have the curtains by early Sept. When I called King on 9/2 to inquire on the status a young lady told me that production of the curtains had been delayed since they had to order the Sunbrella material. She assured me they would be shipped on 9/4.

Not having received the shipment today, two days before departure, I called again. Supposedly the curtains were shipped on 9/8. However, the UPS tracking number I was given is not valid. As it stands now the young lady at King is attempting to get a valid number.

If no King curtains I guess I'll try to come up with something temporary, tacky though they may be, for the trip. I guess large towels or sheets cut to fit would be the logical alternative, held in place with velcro tape.

I'll definitely go elsewhere for the camper back sides.

Harper

Harper, I think I would ask King for some free additional product, or a reasonable discount on the work if you don't get the curtains prior to your trip. From what it sounds like, you had an oral contract and expectations that were not met.

Steve
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: King Marine Canvas Reply with quote

Wandering Sagebrush,
Thanks, things seem to be a lot more expensive in New Jersey. The good news is it has zippers under the bows, the sides are two piece with a vertical zipper in the middle and the front panel has a u shaped zippered panel to get in the cockpit. The back is three piece. The front edge that goes on the roof has a slide in bead (track) arrangement that also has a zipper to make it easy to get on and off. The frame has quick disconnects. I was pleasantly surprised the people who did mine were very competent (Jean's Canvas Belford N.J.) and had it done when they said they would etc. Other than them the canvas guys seem to be to busy or not interested. You would think the economy was smoking with the kind of customer service I witnessed, no return calls, no answers, we don't do camperbacks etc. I took my boat to them it took two weeks to complete. One thing they were not was cheap, but it looks nice and fits well. I will add pics to my album soon.
D.D.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: