Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Byte wrote:
Hey guys, the Scotty bases are very similar to the Fish-on. I don't think they will interchange, but they are close and the hole spacing very well may match up. If so the beney there would be no new holes!

The Strikers are the best thing I've found.

Close but no cigar. The holders will not fit into the bases either.

What Mike said above is true and you have to be careful about how you set the holder into the base. I go over this with the crew before every Tuna trip. Halibut will tak a rod holder but a reel smoking Tuna is a real test by anyones standard.

Live to Fish
Fish to Live
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fellers. Despite my earlier attempts to defend the Fish On, the only time I really like them is when I drop one overboard. Only $12 down the drain.

Mr. Fisherman, how close is close on the base holes? Perhaps you could describe what you discovered if you wouldn't mind.

I'll have to check out the Tyler's.

Tim
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 4 Scotty Strikers on our boat, and we love them. We fish for halibut and salmon every time we go out, which is just about every single day spring thru fall...my wife is a fishing machine, life is good! They work great with the size gear we use up here. Our halibut rigs are a medium action Sturdy Stick with a Penn 330, and it fits the holder quite well. Smaller weight rod/reels may move around a bit. I had a 205 pounder take the bait and start running last summer while the rod was in the holder and I was having coffee...things went crazy but the holder held firm and I was finally able to get it out and fight the fish. We have hooked many 100 pounders with the rods in the holders, so they are built to take punishment. I did have the rounding off of the stud that was mentioned earlier, but I don't worry about it much because I made retaining cables for all my holders. I used 30lb stainless leaders with snap swivels and just clipped the holder to the rail...if it comes out of the base accidently, at least it won't fall overboard. When we troll for silvers and kings, we just swivel the holders around and use them for our trolling rods instead of using the holders on the downrigger boom, which works well for us. They work great with a medium/light Tiger Rod and Penn 320, even when a king hammers the bait. Since we are "C-Dory wannabe's" for the forseeable future, we have no photo album to share fish pics, but suffice it to say that the fishing around Kodiak will spoil you for life. The gear can take a beating, but Scotty products are built to last.

Rick & Donna

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Mr. Fisherman

State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Sea Lion
Photos: Sea Lion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Story wrote:
Thanks Fellers. Despite my earlier attempts to defend the Fish On, the only time I really like them is when I drop one overboard. Only $12 down the drain.

Mr. Fisherman, how close is close on the base holes? Perhaps you could describe what you discovered if you wouldn't mind.

I'll have to check out the Tyler's.

Tim

What I remember when I added my 2 scottys was that the holes on the mounting plate for the Scotty was far enough apart from the Fish On that new holes would have to be drilled. I thought about using a backing plate and if/when I replace my fish ons I will use a backing plate. I wouldn't want a hole where my bracket used to be.
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fisherman,
When I got my C-Dory it came with 4 Fish-On bases bolted on. I Changed them out for Scotty bases. The holes were close enough that I only had to enlarge two holes slightly to make the spacing right. As I recall, the vertical spacing was identical but the horizontal holes were slightly too close together ( if that makes any sense). I agree absolutely that the Scotty is heads and shoulders above the Fish-On.

True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your nuts on CAVU. Compared bases at Outdoor Emporium this morning and discovered the same. Bought four strikers and it appears I wont have to drill hole one. Painless. Just extend a few holes laterally an eighth of an inch or so with a rat tail file.

I had never seen these holders before and they are nice. Thanks for all the help you guys.

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: