The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tom Cat Scuppers & Macerator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Tom Cat Scuppers & Macerator Reply with quote

When I took the boat to Lake Washington for SeaFair we had 5 or 6 people on board every day. When too many people congregated in the cockpit, water started coming in through the scuppers. In addition, there is always water in the little recesses just forward of the scuppers. I know similar problems have been discussed here, mostly related to the fishboxes. Roger on Dreamer had plans to re-engineer the entire system but I don't think that happened. So what I am wondering is whether some kind of stopper would be a good idea, assuming I could get stoppers of that size.

My starboard macerator no longer works because the same Lake Washington guests piled luggage on the switches and only told me about the noise after the macerator had been running for some time. I want to check the fuse first but don't know where it is located. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, not sure about the fuse but there's an internal overload switch that, after it cools down, will allow it to run again. My stbd macerator has something in the inlet and, despite my attempts to blow it back up into the fishbox, resists that. It will run and pump slowly but after awhile it trips.

I posted a wiring diagram in the documents section but it doesn't tell you WHERE the fuses are. Let us ALL know when/if you find out. Not likely to be the same on all TC255 boats!

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the wiring diagram and in fact had some large copies printed. Very nice, thanks for posting it!

When I flip the switch on my starboard macerator nothing happens at all. I'm concerned that if work is required on the motor holes will have to be cut in the fiberglass to provide access. The boat is going into the shop in a couple of weeks to get the new windlass installed and I will have Stan look at it then if I don't get it figured out before then.

Thanks,
Warren
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, I think someone with looooooong arms could reach in and loosen the clamps holding the suction/discharge hoses to the pump and then pull it up to where you could get to it. Mine aren't even fastened to the transom but are "hanging" on the hoses.

Your problem sounds like a fuse though, unless the motor burned out Crying or Very sad Hope not. I have the same problem with the stbd bilge pump. It will work on automatic but not when I flip the switch on the dash. Electrical problems on a boat are a pain in the .....

Let us know how you make out.

Charlie
20dauntless

City/Region: Mercer Island and Decatur Island
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Retriever and Nordic Tug 37
Photos: Retriever
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the same scupper problem on the Whaler when there is too much weight in the boat. We got some simple rubber plugs that can be put into the scupper which stops all water from going in or out. I think we got them at Lake Union Sea Ray.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fuses are off the main buss bar which is under the seat. (If you have the bait tank option, it should be near the house battery. Those are the only two fuses off that buss bar on my boat--there are fuses for the Wallas on the house battery, plus I put in some other fuses for the extra battery banks, I added.

The scupper is 1 3/4" to 2" tapered sink plug--these are a fairly standard item at hardware stores--or big box stores. So far we have not had this problem, but we have never had more than 6 people aboard.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
@ C

City/Region: Annapolis,MD
State or Province: MD
Photos: @C
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my Trophy. I replaced the rubber flaps with a set of Rebud scuppers. They work well.
They are a plastic hosing with a floating ball inside. Took me about 10 min. to replace them both.
@C doesn't have scuppers, so I'm not sure if they will work on your boat.
Good luck.
Bill

Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI as an occasional home brewer and a boat guy , the best selection of sizes of rubber plugs is a lab supply or a home brew store.
The simple reality is when the scupper is underwater and the weight of all your friends puts the deck below water line , in comes the water . All boats do it . We sometimes describe boat as "self bailing at rest" meaning without all your friends in the back corner.........
Marc

Alok

City/Region: League City
State or Province: TX
Photos: Top Cat
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren:

As Bob said the fuses are on the starboard side under the aft seat- 15 amps, if I remember correctly. They blow often.

Also jiggle the wires at their attachment to the switch- my starboard macerator has to go through a switch on/ jiggle the wires procedure each time. I guess the humidity back there does bad things to electrical connections.

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thmarine.com/category.cfm?CID=10&CHID=32

They have an assortment of drains and drain plugs.

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a side topic (sorry).

But my Sea Ray had to have it's sanitary plumbing re-routed to be licensed/permitted in freshwater Shasta Lake, where it's been all it's life.

The overboard through hull was blocked, and the macerator now feeds into a 5 gallon jerry can in the engine compartment.

The sewage tank still functions normaly, and can be pumped at any pump out.

The advantage is that you can empty the jerry can at any bathroom facility, be it a floating on the lake bathroom, a vault or flush toilet at a campground, your house, the marina, etc.

It's all the function of a full flush toilet with the advantage of the PortaPotti dump tank, plus the pump out option.

The only disadvantage is not being able to pump overboard beyond the 3 mile limit, but one could dump the jerry can manually if that's in your game plan.

Just thought I'd share this with some of you who could be in a similar situation.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems with our head macerator about once a season. It just freezes up and blows the breaker. We don't put any solids in the tank so I'm not sure why it hangs up but I have always been able to get it going again by removing the end plug and turning the shaft by hand with a straight slot screwdriver.
Forty Two

City/Region: Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Black Cat
Photos: Barrel O Monkeys
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Cat Scuppers & Macerator Reply with quote

Doryman wrote:
When I took the boat to Lake Washington for SeaFair we had 5 or 6 people on board every day. When too many people congregated in the cockpit, water started coming in through the scuppers. In addition, there is always water in the little recesses just forward of the scuppers. I know similar problems have been discussed here, mostly related to the fishboxes. Roger on Dreamer had plans to re-engineer the entire system but I don't think that happened. So what I am wondering is whether some kind of stopper would be a good idea, assuming I could get stoppers of that size.Warren

See my photos. Not particularly pretty, but very effective.

matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Good to know Reply with quote

Good to know...so far I've had no more than 7 aboard and I have not yet had water coming back through the scuppers. I also keep my fuel level low and add based on my specific voyage. If your tanks are kept full for example that will pull her down a bit more.
Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to change an impeller at Elfin Cove. The pumps are not very easy to work on. However, I was able to remove and replace the pump through the access hole in the lazareth. All it takes is a screw driver and a sharp knife to cut a small piece hose at the pump to aid in removal of the pump unit. Oh yes it also requires a little skin from hand and arm. My fuses are attached to the buss bar in the port lazareth 20amp on in line fuse holders. Follow the wire from the switch, it should be within 12 inches of the buss bar.

Sport Craft Marina gave me plugs for the scuppers. They fit perfect I've only had to use them once. I'm sure you will be able to find something that will work.

Gene

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: