Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: GPS Antenna Head Inside Cabin? Reply with quote

If I mount the GPS antenna head inside the cabin, on top of the electronics shelf, will it get signal? I believe it should, unless there's a foil material in the roof. I have a high-house model C-22. Normally would just try it but I am putting all this together underneath a stilt house and will get no signals until I pull the boat out after more installs (radio, ladder, etc., etc.,) and that will be a few days. Thanks for your input.

Matt
http://www.treasuresites.com
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, I installed a Garmin 60C which is a hand held gps that comes with a marine mount and adapter. It has a built in antenna and a auxiliary antenna connector. I thought that I would need to mount an antenna on the cabin top to get reception, but it works great with just the built in antenna. I have a 2004 cd 19. I also would be interested in others experience and thoughts. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
flagold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roberta, I'm installing a Matrix 97 http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=381#Specs and it comes with the standard external mushroom antenna, which fits perfectly between the electronics shelf and cabin roof. It will probably work, but not totally sure due to having the high house (not sure what is in the material).

I read somewhere on the site that someone was using an external antenna inside, but thought they had theirs mounted on the dash.

Matt
http://www.treasuresites.com/Goldpan2.jpg
JoeP

City/Region: Kirkland
Vessel Name: Lizzie
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have a Garmin 176C, and it works fine with just the little built in antenna. I'd bet as long as you don't fill up the shelf with metal you'll be OK.
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a picture of a gps antenna mounted on the electronics shelf. It is in the CBTech Library photo album under electronics. It does not say whos boat it is.
flagold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU! I knew I had seen it somewhere. I can go ahead and bundle the wiring tonight!

MM
stevej

City/Region: Gaston
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Shearwater
Photos: Shearwater
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt I run 3 different GPS systems all with interior antennas. Does not impact reception at all from what I can tell.

stevej

1995 25' Cruise Ship #3
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

Sure agree that the inside GPS antennas work fine - the only thing I've noticed is the loss of some of the "near horizon" birds. If extreme accuracy is important - unobstructed outside mounts have the edge. I use them both ways... when I'm shrimping and need to come back over the top of a submerged float, that last meter or so makes a difference.

Dusty

flagold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the advice. I've managed to get through radio, GPS and depthsounder installation with having to bore only a hole for the radio antenna wire, so pretty happy with the way things are going. No holes in the roof at all. I'll post some pics when all done.

MM
http://www.treasuresites.com/Husky7.jpg
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MM, you could probably put the radio antenna inside too unless you wanted to talk to someone more than a mile away or objected to things growing out of your ears or personal parts glowing in the dark!! Shocked Shocked
CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sawdust

City/Region: Oak Harbor
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: C-Salt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking bird! Makes my stick arm twitch a bit and brings back a whole bunch of memories.

Dusty
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the visor on the C-Dory there's no reason to have any holes in the cabin ceiling. My VHF antenna looks like it's on the cabin roof, but it's really on the visor and while silicone sealed if it leaks it'd just drip on the deck.

Antenna lead goes thru the front bulkhead above and outboard of the upper corner of the windshield.

My steaming light is mounted on the visor and I'm mounting my horn under the visor almost as I type this.

-- Chuck
flagold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the holes. I started mounting things with fiberglass, bonding agents, and velcro methods a few years back, and have never gone back to the traditional methods (3rd boat I've done it with). I don't have any holes in the dash either, by using a kyaker compass that I can put in different locations. The radio is velcro'd down and can be put in multiple locations as well. The only other holes I forsee in the boat are for the boarding ladder lock tabs. Interesting idea on the reading light but the cabin illumination seems sufficient for now.
Chuck S

City/Region: Cleveland
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Amelia Anne
Photos: Amelia Anne
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat is almost a year old and I just put my first 2" hole in the dash for the Link 10, I couldn't find any other place to put it.

But like you the compas, VHF, and GPS are Velcroed to the top of the dash. We're in public storage under a Sunbrella cover but I can remove these items if required. No history of any problems at this lot, there are several uncovered, open boats sitting there with covers over the instruments.

I'm running a pair of GPS receivers. An old Garmin 75 and a nearly as old Magellan Map 400. Neither uses an external antenna. Both get good locks in the boat. Heck, they get good locks in my car in the locked garage!

I'm hoping Raymarine will add a depth capability to their 435i (internal antenna) chart plotter so I don't have to have a separate instrument for depth. Raymarine uses the Navionics Gold CF (compact flash) cards, the same as in the typical digital camera and one (1) XL card will cover the entire Great Lakes, and another the Ohio and a good part of the Missisippi Rivers. this is the chart coverage I need, but I'd sure like the convenience of a depth display.

If I go with a separate depth display I'm toying with mounting it under the center of the windshield. In the dash only the wheelsman can see it and gunkholing in some of the rivers I'd like more eyes on the depth!

-- Chuck
flagold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck:

Look at that Matrix 97 link above. It is what you're looking for I think. Takes the little cards (the ones you want). What you said are exactly the same reasons I bought the thing. The basemap is down to 4nm (instead of 32 like the rest), so is reasonably good no matter where you go in the entire U.S., using the basemap alone.

I was originally going with a Garmin 172 and 240 Blue for depth. Picked up the 240 Blue, but they didn't have the 172 in stock. While sorting all that out and looking at the wiring harness for the 240, I started playing with this Matrix which they'd just got in and fired up. It's good, crisp big screens, and when splitting depth/charplotter they're still big. The fishfinding part of it is great. So when all was said and done I ended up with a large screen color chartplotter/depthsounder that takes the cards for slightly less than $850. Has updates via computer links with Humminbird that I haven't tried/needed just yet (since it's new), but as I am guessing, at some point it will be compatible with radar.

I have mounted mine as you said, for the same reasons. Everyone can see it from its location, and if standing in the center isle or sitting, the buttons are easilly reached for all functions of the unit. I'll probably have some pics up by the end of the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: