The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cockpit storage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Cockpit storage Reply with quote

Has anyone constructed a storage container for the cockpit of your boat and if so what type material is suited for that environment. It will not be out in the elements all the time and I was wondering if there is something that will hold up fairly well without glassing the entire structure. Any thoughts??????
Thanks Ron

C-Dude

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2013
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Gryphon
Photos: C-Spirit
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Cockpit Storage Reply with quote

UHMW plastic hatches work well on existing spaces as an access point. If I was constructing from scratch, marine grade plywood would work well, marine starboard would be better, but much more expensive. If you did use the plywood, I would still coat all surfaces inside and out with a marine grade finish. My preference would be a 2 part epoxy paint for durability. I would not use any standard grade lumber or any treated lumber either. Treated lumber leaches quite a bit of chemicals over time.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

I would try looking for Dock Boxes and Pontoon Boat storage boxes. Also, alot of ppl here have used those black storage boxes from Wally World with the red handles - even to store their little Honda Generators. Lots of watertight boxes available for canoes and kayaks would work too.

I think you'd have a hard time building one as light and inexpensive.

John
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's think of the Rubbermaid Action Packer containers that we talked about for storing Honda generators:

Relatively cheap, no design/building problems, and you can lock them up so it would take a thief determined enough to break into your cabin anyway, to get into one.

EASY SOLUTION. Available in a variety of sizes. Works as a bench seat, too.

Why reinvent the wheel?
Wink

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Ron Cowan

City/Region: Athens
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Elk-Tenn
Photos: Elk-Tenn
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I stated a cockpit storage I was thinking that it would indicate the environment to be used in. Really I am looking at building a cabinet to mount a sink in and to store a tank for the sink water. The classic 21 tug did not have any galley accomadations and I am attempting to add such in the cockpit instead of the cabin. As shown in my album I have added a hardtop over the cockpit. Any thoughts on this?????
Ron
C-WEED

City/Region: New Brockton
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Weed
Photos: C-WEED
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly recommend the Action Packers. Thumbs Up I keep one of the action packers loaded with everything needed for beach camping. They have a decent seal on the lid. Not 100%waterproof but a good lip seal. They are very durable. I stand on mine all the time to step in and out of the boat dockside and it doubles as a seat in the boat or on the beach. Cover it with a small rug and it gives one of our two big dogs a place to lay and still be able to see over the side. Smile When we camp I just lift it over the side and it floats great fully loaded. Just float it to shore.

A few items I can remember carried:

Coleman two burner stove (multi-fuel)
Coleman single burner extreme stove (multi-fuel)
Coleman single mantel extreme Lantern (multi-fuel)
two kerosene lamps
gallon of coleman fuel
liter of lamp oil
citronella bucket candle
axe
folding shovel
weiner forks
hand crank /portable radio
pots/pans/utensils
paper towels/tp/moist towlets/mosquito coils/bug juice/sun screen/first aid stuff
Bag of charcoal/ liter of lighter fuel for smokey joe
shade tarp/ropes
two person shade tent
wash tub

And still room for more stuff. Having all this in one box ready to go makes getting ready easier.

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris!

They can be used as modular units and inter-switched between your car/van/truck/boat/cabin/motorhome. etc. We used them that way when we would alternately take sailing gear/automotive tools/fishing euipment/camping gear/boating equipment, etc., between vehicles- depending on the best set up for the weekend or longer trip. Nice that they all fit in each other's space!

Joe.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also use the action packers (or similar type of storage boxes from Wally World..Also have used "deck boxes"--but for what you want, I wouhld build it from scratch--you want something which is high enough (30 to 36") to be used as a galley table--probably fold out shelf for more space. I made such a cabinet for a van conversion. Got the smallest square sink I could find. Top was formica--but you can also do fiberglass over plywood. I put a hand pump on the top, in back of the sink, with a 6 gallon plastic tank under the sink--a 3/8" hose from the pump into the tank. The drain could be overboard--I used another 6 gallon tank under the sink drain. You can then put doors on the front, and use this for storage--drawers inside if you wish--lock the doors. Make out of 1/2" marine ply and covered with one layer of fiber glass cloth with epoyx. To finish either paint with marine paint or put white pigment in the last coat of epoxy (epoxy is UV sensitative so it must me protected). You might want some teak trim around the top to make it more "nautical".
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron-

I see these kinds of units on pontoon boats.

Some look homemade, others from a commercial supplier.

You might use the internet to see if you can locate a manufacturer or dealer.

Joe.

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cockpit storage a cooler has multiple uses and can doubles as a bench. It works good for my boat . I purchased one of those 5 day coolers and it does live up to the claim of keeping ice a long time.
The coolers also have drink holders Beer ............I went with the cooler.

It may be worth a look.

Chris Bulovsky
kimshack

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: R-21 EC Tug
Vessel Name: KIMSHACK
Photos: Kimshack
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

In thinking about how I would approach this same scenario on my tug if I didn't have a galley (if you want to call mine a galley Surprised ), I think I would try to configure something utilizing the back storage / seat, where your wife likes to get some sun. I would put the sink basin in the Poly which is already there with a little lip under the offset from the top, that way you can have another piece of poly (starboard) on top, so when you put the cushion down you won't even know it's there. Then use the storage space under there to keep the water tank. In terms of the faucet, one idea is to put it on Gunwale, but I would probably get one of those faucets which spins, so that way it is out of the way when people are using that seat. Now of course you would end up losing some storage space in under the stern seat. But the space needs to come from somewhere, and I know that the space on the our tugs are pretty limited for installing a cabinet in the cockpit. Just my thoughts...

Also just looked at your signature, I used to live just a hop skip and jump from you over on Apopka Vineland blvd... small world. Smile
kimshack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another approach may be to use a Polyboard table. I made one like Magna products, using the special hinge which allows you to affix the board/tray to the railing. That way you can put the small sink into the table, it would be at regular counter height, more so than bending over the seat approach I mentioned above. I would then also put the sink offset so you can put a piece of poly over the sink that way it can increase the tray space for serving food, or cutting up bait. The faucet I would install in between the inner liner and hull. Probably one of those shower / faucets on a hose, that way it can be hidden and put away. In terms of the plumbing for draining out the water, you wouldn't need one since it would drain down the sink into the drink. So you wouldn't need any plumbing for that as the tray is over the side. I can put some pics of the tray that I made, once I get my boat back from the factory.
Doryman

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimshack wrote:
Another approach may be to use a Polyboard table.

Is this photo from the thataway album of polyboard? If not what is the material in the photo? And where can one commonly buy it? Home Despot?

Thanks,
Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site as a starting point .

http://www.toddusa.com/productdetails.aspx?cid=11#SE-250-W

Todd products build seats and steering stations for off shore boats . they may have what you need or better yet who does. as far a build from scratch, talk to red fox about how he fiber glassed in his forward berth. made is out of wood but glassed over the wood with some kind of gel coat mix. hell talk to him because i am getting it wrong

Last edited by starcrafttom on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
kimshack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori Ann,

Yes, the picture you linked looks like polyboard (aka StarBoard). I found a supplier in downtown Seattle, where they have 4X8 sheets of the stuff. There are many different types of grades and thickness for different purposes. The grade that I wanted could only be purchased as a 4 X 8 sheet, at the low low price of $360. So I opted to purchase a smaller quantity from West Marine. Looking back I think I should have purchased the full sheet. I've been using the stuff as backing, as a tray, as a mounting platform for my crab pot pulley, etc...

Many cutting boards are also made from polyboard, and I've even taken one of the wifes cutting boards when I got into a pinch and was alittle short on the material. I told her that it broke Rolling Eyes

I'll get the name of the supplier if your intrested, I have a business card somewhere
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: