The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Which Trim Tabs ? Which Hydraulic Steering ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORCA

City/Region: germany
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: ORCA
Photos: ORCA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Which Trim Tabs ? Which Hydraulic Steering ? Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats

We are ready to buy Trim Tabs and hydraulic steering for Orca. Very Happy

Any advice on the Trim Tab brand and size ??
What kind of switch is the best, normal or indicator switch? Confused

Any Advice on which brand of hydraulic steering?

The boat already had an hydrofoil installed on the Honda 75.

Any help would be very nice...

Lots of snow in Kalkaska MI.... Very Happy

Regards Chris

Happy are they who dream dreams...And have the courage to make them come true !
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris – I am installing hydraulic steering to my boat and have selected BayStar by Teleflex. Tyboo Mike suggested it for me, so I did some research on hydraulic steering systems. The BayStar is the highest rated system for small engines (under 150 HP) and it is by far the least expensive. It list for around $700 but is available many places on the web for $499.
________
Dave
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris -

The BayStar or the more expensive and heavier duty SeaStar by Teleflex is the way to go. If you are adding a hydraulic autopilot or a second helm station, the SeaStar would be the choice. Otherwise, the BayStar is great.

Trim tabs - hands down, IMHO, the Bennett M120 Sport Tabs are the only ones that should be considered for the CD22. They may as well have been designed for the hull. I had them on my CD22 Cruiser and they performed perfectly. I think this is what the factory is putting on there now. I know they did for a while. That is just my opinion, though.

I just used the standard two-button rocker switches that came with the tabs I bought. I had a joystick control for a while on my second boat, but didn't like it as much as the rocker type switches. Those indicator controls are kind of neat, but I have never had one to base any other comments on. The auto-retract feature might be good, too, but not really required.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Bennett Trim tabs--they are hyraulic. Lenco are a screw drive--I have owned both.

You may want to consider that your helm may take more forces with rapids etc than the "average" boat--and jump up one step in the size of the Teleflex helm pump. You want to be sure that you have positive steering all of the time. Be sure and take plenty of extra oil and a filling kit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: trim tabs and hydraulic steering Reply with quote

Chris - go on e-bay and get Bennett tabs 10"x12" plus kit. I've installed these tabs on two different 22' cruisers. Also get the trimdicator since you want to know the tab positions at all times. Bennett has the best support service one could ask for.

Regarding the hydraulic models by Teleflex, I have installed both - the Sea Star and the Bay Star. The Sea Star is overkill but of course more expensive. The Bay Star is perfectly adequate for your needs. You can get this on e-bay too. Make sure you order the correct length of hoses - check with the factory on the length. You will find taking out the old mechanical steering set up is more work than installing the new hydraulic system. You will be pleased with your hydraulic steering.

Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Lenco Trim Tabs Reply with quote

How about the 12"x12" Lenco trim tabs. Wouldn't they be appropriate for a 22 cruiser? I would think not needing a hydraulic pump would be a plus.

Rob
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob-

Here's what I wrote last Friday in another discussion of trim tabs:

"The lure of the less expensive, simpler to install Lenco tabs is strong. They're fine in fresh water or on boats that spend most of the time on the trailer. For boats moored in salt water, however, the salt water eventually gets past the neoprene seals and into the interior of the unit. This is not good on the electrical components inside the unit, which are the motor and screw jack. The failure rate is proportionately high.

Hydraulic trim tabs, on the other hand, don't fail if a little salt water intrudes over time. They cost a little more money up front, and it's a a little harder to install the hydraulic pump and lines, but they're much more durable and a better investment.

Also, be sure to raise the trim tabs up all the way when mooring the boat, as this will minimize corrosion on the metal shafts. This goes for both fresh and salt water, and any brand of tab.

For hydraulic tabs, be sure to check the fluid level frequently for best operation and longer service.

For Lencos, be sure to lubricate the shafts and seals as often as possible."

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I went through a similar exercise when the Jenny B was new, starting out firmly believing my C-Dory didn't really need trim tabs, progressing through the "well, the factory is installing Lenco's" and ending up with Trimmaster tabs since by then the factory gave up on Lenco because of problems, I read a positive Power Boat report on the Trimmasters, and the fact that our favorite C-Brat Nerd had arranged a "C-Dory special" price on new Trimmasters for $300. Haven't looked back even once.

AFAIC, Trimmaster and Bennett are equals - trimmaster with higher hydraulic pressure, Bennetts easily available. Whatever trims yer boat. Both are easily installed, especially if you're willing to remove the fual tanks. If a Medicare geezer can install them without removing the tanks and with only a few minutes "push here" assistance from his spousal unit, you can. Especially in a 16....

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
ORCA

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: trim tabs and hydraulic steering Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats

Thank you so mutch for all your help ! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Very Happy Very Happy

I think will buy the Bennett tabs 10"x12" and the BayStar Hydraulic Steering by Teleflex.
But we will think about the 12"x12" TRIM MASTER again. Good price...

I think the trimdicator is a good idea for ORCA, because of the long
time we will need the tabs. Chances are high that I will forget about
the trimming....

As far as extra tanks, we will carry 6x9gal and 1x 20gal and a 20gal bladder tank.
This is mutch easier to fill up, as 2 big tanks...

For navigation we have a Garmin 276C and a Standard Horizon CP1000C
with FF520 Fishfinder Black Box.
As a backup we have a Magellan Meridian GPS.
The Fishfinder backup is a normal depth gauge.

As Fuel Gauge Sytem we use the Lowrance LMF-200.
I really like the NMEA 2000....

We don't know yet if we will carry a Radar Confused

Regards from Kalkaska
Chris
thataway

Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,
I wonder about the chart plotters? What charts are available for the areas you will be running? What were the reasons for the choice of Garmin and C map (standard Horizon 1000)?

You mention liking the NMEA 2000, but neither of these chart plotters are NMEA 2000. Are the best topo maps available on Garmin? I see that Great Slave Lake and the MacKensie are on C map's--what were the other offerings for mapping? Such as laptop PC?

I was also wondering how you were going to distribute the 650 or so lbs of fuel (I realize that you will only carry that full amount on a relitatively small portion of the trip)? Plus the weight of other supplies you will be carrying?

We enjoy your planning process.
Thanks

Bob
flrockytop

Vessel Name: The Last One (to date)
Photos: C-LOVER
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyBoo wrote:
Chris -

If you are adding a hydraulic autopilot or a second helm station, the SeaStar would be the choice.
required.

Why do you says this? BayStar + autopilot on the CD16 ??

Roger Rockwell
Pensacola, Fl
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the BayStar would allow an autopilot pump to be teed into the lines. The caveat would be that the tubing used in the lighter duty BayStar might not be rated for the pressures an electric hydraulic pump, à la Raymarine, would produce. Probably never a problem, but the problem would be messy should it happen. I have neither hydraulic steering system, so I am far from experienced on the subject. I also don't know if the mechanical type autopilot that simply turns the steering wheel would work with either system.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw out another name, the factory installed Boat Levelors on my CD-25. So far, flawless and had very good support from them when I up-sized my tabs. Sold them to me at cost and fully explained how to go about the changeout, no problems. I'd say they're pretty much on par with Bennett, although Bennett is a larger company, can't go wrong either way (had Bennett's on a previous boat).
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Best Day

City/Region: Long Beach
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Best Day
Photos: Best Day
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seams that with the extra weight you will be carrying you should try to install the largest trim tabs that will fit. I would say that 12x12 tabs should be your minimum and maybe you should look for some a little longer if anyone makes them. An extra 100 gallons of fuel in the cockpit is a lot of weight aft.

Bill
ORCA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chris,
I wonder about the chart plotters? What charts are available for the areas you will be running? What were the reasons for the choice of Garmin and C map (standard Horizon 1000)?

You mention liking the NMEA 2000, but neither of these chart plotters are NMEA 2000. Are the best topo maps available on Garmin? I see that Great Slave Lake and the MacKensie are on C map's--what were the other offerings for mapping? Such as laptop PC?

I was also wondering how you were going to distribute the 650 or so lbs of fuel (I realize that you will only carry that full amount on a relitatively small portion of the trip)? Plus the weight of other supplies you will be carrying?

We enjoy your planning process.
Thanks

Bob

Hi Bob

Well, I already had the Garmin 276C and the Topo Canada and US.
They are great and very accurate! Thumbs Up
The Standard Horizon I bought because of the good price and the big screen. Very Happy
C-Map-Max is the only one with marine maps from the Great Slave Lake and parts of the Mackenzie river and the Great Bear River and Great Bear Lake . Smile

The NMEA 2000 is just for the Fuel Gauge. (to bad,I really like it... Crying or Very sad )

I spoke to the C-Dory Company and they say 2000 pounds is no problem ! Thumbs Up

We will make hatches in the V-Berth and will have heavy stuff in there !

It will be a challenge I know but hey, it is a EXPEDITION and not a holiday! Very Happy

As soon as we start to work on the boat, I will show pictures !

Regards from Kalkaska
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: