The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

For Sale Items
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: For Sale Items Reply with quote

Note: Originally posted in David's Steering Wheel Center Cap thread.

As an aside, folks - we've had one person ask why we're allowing David to sell these items, when we have a strict "no commercial" stance here, excepting for the limited C-Dory Dealer posts.

David checked with me before making this offer, and made it clear he is charging only for materials and shipping. All of his hard work is not being compensated - this is not a "for profit" offer, and is a very generous donation of his time.

If any of our other talented members want to offer up their C-Dory related services for free, we won't stand in their way either... Mr. Green

Last edited by Da Nag on Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok

Last edited by Jeff Brigner on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Da Nag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Brigner wrote:
I feel a section of items made for our boats and sold by c-brats is a great idea! I prefer doing business with someone I know. I often wondered why there wasn't more c-brat type stuff for sale.

I split our posts from David's teak center cap discussion...didn't want that thread to get sidetracked with this issue.

Allowing direct commercial sales in the forums, is simply a huge can of worms we don't want to be involved in. There's the possibility for favoritism (perceived or otherwise) and fraud, not to mention the constant monitoring and moderating tasks we would have to undertake. No thanks...

Now - the above certainly doesn't preclude somebody from making referrals for which they receive no monetary gain. We've never discouraged that, and it makes no difference if the referral is for an online vendor, or a fellow C-Brat. If a member has commisioned a piece of work from somebody here and is satisfied, feel free to post the particulars, and others can make private contacts as they wish.

I realize this presents a bit of a chicken-egg scenario...if people aren't aware of a member's talents, there's no way for somebody to buy something and make the referral. I'm not sure how to address this, but quite frankly, I'm not overly motivated to find a solution. The fact that there is very little commercial slant to our site is what makes it so appealing to many, myself included.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think whoever brought the subject up needs to look at her/his motives for writing the PM to Da Nag in the first place. Anyone with half a brain could see David didn't start his thread with an intentional ad.

Sheesh. Rolling Eyes

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Jack in Alaska

City/Region: Anchorage/Ninilchik
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 26 Pro Angler
Vessel Name: HIGH TIDE II
Photos: HIGH TIDE II
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enough said about the subject. By now everyone knows who it is, what he makes(a neat project) and what it costs. It should just work itself out as DaNag said.
I want one also but i need to trudge out through 3+' of snow, crawl under the tied down tarp, thaw out the cabin door lock (all at 5F) and measure my wheel hub size.

now if I could just find a good used 25' CD...........!!!

Happy New Year from extremely snowy Alaska

HIGH TIDE-II; 2005 26' ProAngler; 2003 200 Honda / 2009 9.9 Honda high thrust
No. CD026021I405; AK-5008-AK
MSSI No. 338143486(cancelled)

HIGH TIDE; 1983 Angler Classic 22'; 90 Honda/ 9.9 Tohatsu-sold 2009 to son Dan (flatfishfool)
Stolen & stripped in Aug. 18
Bare hull & trailer sold in Nov.
hammerhead

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: I like teak Reply with quote

how do I find davids stuff?
Da Nag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I like teak Reply with quote

hammerhead wrote:
how do I find davids stuff?

The original thread is still active - located HERE.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack in Alaska wrote:

I want one also but i need to trudge out through 3+' of snow, crawl under the tied down tarp, thaw out the cabin door lock (all at 5F) and measure my wheel hub size.

I thought you guys up there in that far north state were extra extra hardy.

Had to go through all that except not quite the 3' feet snow the other day to check out my radar.

Jay

Butch

City/Region: Rising Sun
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: D Nag well put.... Reply with quote

Guys.... my grandad would ask me to take a step back and really analyze the question at issue here. I tried (did for what its worth) to and realized it's the little things that will bind a group together such as sharing tidbits that can bring a smile or in our case some unique pride to our Dory vessels. As simple as it may be a helm center piece. It is obvious from the cost and the method of production that NO ONE is going to make any significant money on the wheel center pieces once you factor in the time involved to bring it from a piece of raw wood to a finished product. What it does do (pardon my Appalachian english) is provide a commonality for those that truly enjoy the Dory's. After all is not the Dory that brought us together.

Just think... if someone would come up with a slick breakthrough with something that would make our boating life easier or best yet more safe and it was to be offered to you at pennies on the dollar... would you not jump at it... sure you would.

Just one point... I am a ham radio buff and some of the best designed components to my shack comes from stuff other hams like myself "home brew" and offer to fellow hams at or just a smidge above cost.

Folks this was just my two cents on a subject that should have raised a question... as it did. All we have to do now is put it in perspective and ask the question, "What the h.... (heck Xmas Tongue ) does this mean for the price of chicken eggs in China? probably no significant impact. Let's all strive to make 2007 better than 2006! Butch

Alasgun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: For Sale Items Reply with quote

I would not want anyone to be deprived of a good nights sleep worrying about who this evil masked crusader is. You know, the one asking those questions about David and the wheel centers.
I confess to being that person and would like a chance to elaborate if I may.
My work schedule is such that I work 2 weeks every month and am off 2 weeks every month. With this much latitude in my work I decided to put in the small machine shop here at the house. I have 2 regular customers that provide me with all I want during my off time.
Last year we bought our first salt water boat and naturally I had to upgrade everything. This is a process that will take several years and probably will never end.
Realizing that very few of you have a machine shop in your yard, I contacted the Administrators asking what our policy is on brat to brat sales. My thinking was to offer any of my own upgrades or those seen in the numerous albums posted here. I was left with the opinion that any mention that could be considered advertizing was frowned upon, and thats fine I really didn't need a steady diet of projects flowing in. I did however want to offer a service much like David that could be win win on both ends.
Naturally when I see a guy doing exactly what I was told not to, I had questions. I P.M'd David first and mentioned what I had been told then P.M'd an Administrator inquiring about a seperate section on this site dedicated to this stuff and presto, we are now here! I have come to realize that no "company store" will materialize from this effort and apologise for the undue commotion.
By the way, even though David thanked me for the great idea of replacing those ugly center hubs with wood, the truth is that I found one in someone elses album which I promptly replicated!
Mike on Huda Thunkit
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if there might be a spot on the C-Brats site for a Market Place.

I'm thinking a spot where you could post links or recommendations or products we have found to be beneficial. If a member had developed a great mod or add on, had used or tested it on his boat, and perhaps had pictures in his album, why shouldn't other brats be able to purchase that item?

Taking it a step further maybe you'd want to run the Market Place like the WantAd we have here in NE - and I think is available throughout the country. If you are a seller of an item you pay a small commission to the site which would help defer some of the cost of keeping this site running smoothly. Commissions are paid on the honor system, which keeps administrative hassle to a minimum.

Just my two cents worth.

BTW: I mailed my $12 to Dave last Monday -

Thanks Dave.
Quote:
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's really a standup thing for Alasgun to say what he said. We've got a lot of very talented people here and I have no objection to any member offering their products or services at a fair price. Peace

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Da Nag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: For Sale Items Reply with quote

Alasgun wrote:
I would not want anyone to be deprived of a good nights sleep worrying about who this evil masked crusader is.

Thanks for "coming out" Mike, but I certainly had no problem with your question/concern. Seemed perfectly legitimate to me, and I hope the private response you received, as well as what I've stated here was satisfactory.

And...my apologies, if you previously wanted to do something along the lines of what David is doing, and were given the cold shoulder. Heck, it might even have been me that shrugged you off, I dunno...I can't even keep up with everything that goes on around this place any more. I've got 4-5 album requests sitting in my queue, several site suggestions I've not responded to, and a couple tech support issues I've been meaning to get to for days. And if that ain't enough, the lovely Mrs. Da Nag has a bathroom remodel that she's been patiently waiting for...Mr. Green

Point is, if you ever have some cool doo-dad that you are willing to whip up essentially for cost, feel free to make the offer, and hope the line doesn't get too long. And if doing so generates you a few private contacts from C-Brats wanting projects done they are willing to pay for, great...that's good for everyone involved, and respects our "no commercial ads" request.
Da Nag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccflyer wrote:
If you are a seller of an item you pay a small commission to the site which would help defer some of the cost of keeping this site running smoothly. Commissions are paid on the honor system, which keeps administrative hassle to a minimum.

It's always appreciated when folks come up with ideas to help with site expenses...it's nice to know folks are thinking about the fact that bills need to be paid around here.

But the truth is, we're doing great in that regard. The Google ads (which most of you never see, as they only appear for "guest" users who are not logged in), cover the site expenses almost exactly. The proceeds are literally within $10 either way every month, so taking in any form of contribution at this point would only fatten Mike and my wallets.

And since this place has made millionares of both of us, it's simply not worth our time to collect a few ad commissions here and there...

Smile
Plan C

City/Region: Port Townsend
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Plan C
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: commercial topic area Reply with quote

Seeing this above, what about adding a commercial topic area? I say this with no intention of having a product or service to sell here, but I would like to know what others might do, that could be beneficial to us.

I formerly had a business that I lightly promoted on horse driving lists, and I think it was a success both for me and for customers. I can understand that we don't want this mixed in with our general discussions, but if it had its own topic would that be a problem?

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Site Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: