The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

lazarette on port side
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: lazarette on port side Reply with quote

The port side lazarette on my 22 leaks..not a rush of water, but more steady dripping and condensation. The starboard is dry as a bone..I checked the screws for tightness...fine...doesn't seem to have a seam open around the hatch frame..Any suggestions?
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terraplane,
I can think of two reasons: You may have a warped hatch lid. Sight down the outer edge of it and check if the corners are out of alignment. This causes the inside lip to not make good contact with the sealing gasket. The other problem may be the row of fastners which bond the deck to the hull. On the outside of the hull they are covered by the rub rail. Water will get in the channel of the rub rail and run along the seam and may leak inside if you have a fastner that wasn't perfectly sealed during manufacture. Look inside the lazarette and you can see the row of bumps on the inside. By running a hose along the rub rail for a few minutes you should be able to see if one of the fastners is leaking. If so a quick dab of caulk should fix it. By the way this problem can occur anywhere along the line of fastners behind the rub rail. It then slowly runs down the wall and ends up on the floor and has accounted for some hard to find leaks. If your lid is warped I have no idea how to fix that other than replace the hatch. Good Luck.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I learned an excellent technique for finding leaks in sealed compartments when I owned my F-31, maybe others already know it. Put the 'output' side of a vacuum (or air compressor nozzle) into an inspection port or other inlet or outlet, seal the opening around the vacuum hose, then watch the bubbles as you wet suspect areas/seams. Works great, hope it can work for your lazarette -- remember, finding the leak is 90% of the solution!

Steve
terraplane

City/Region: chesapeake bay
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: BANJO
Photos: Sally's Sister
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: lazarette fix Reply with quote

I will check the alignment of the lid. Jess M. from the factory has also chimed in and i will look at his ideas. The leak is not heavy, but prevents using the lazarette for anythiing which has to stay dry.

Mainly just annoying.

tom/terraplane
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom --
Please post your findings about the leak -- we have the same problem on the port side.

Hey, and you and your music fill our condo with the wonderful sounds of the Chesapeake many evenings -- thanks for brightening up our (and many other) lives --

MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto for me. The portside leaks and the starboard is dry.
Al

C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same for me. Port side leaked from day one. Starboard is dry. I incorrectly thought I solved the problem at the end of last year's boating season. I will be picking up the boat tomorrow from winter storage and will be trying the compressed air technique to find the leak. Great idea.

Thanks,
Rollie/C-Batical
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange, us guys on the Right Coast have the same problem with the Stbd hatch.

I think it's the coriolis effect...
Rolling Eyes
Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I detect a pattern here.....port side leaks and starboard is dry.......

I don't really know how the new boats are made as opposed to my '87 Cruiser, but in my boat the starboard side is only a partial bottom shelf and the sides of the engine well and exterior of the boat, so has no chance in the world of ever holding water.

The port side is set up as a live well. However, it doesn't leak into the rest of the boat, but does accumulate water, and can't be kept dry. The lids will leak if water, such as rain or wash water, is sprayed on them. Keeping it dry would involve leaving the lid open all the time to aid evaporation.

I think it actually "sweats" condensation on a daily cycle. At night, when it cools down, water condenses on the walls and runs to the bottom. The next day brings rising temperatures and the air inside expands, but very little evaporation takes place unless you leave the lid open. Night time repeats the sweating, condensing addition of water to the bottom of the lazarette/live well.

This is my theory at least, much like partially full gas tanks take on water from out of the air.

Does anybody know if the early Cruisers like mine had the live well installed as standard equipment or a factory option?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Joe.
I thought that the port lazerette was leaking. couldn't find where the water was entering. I have two batteries and keep the rod holders in it.
I removed the plug on the bottom so it could "breath"--- no more problem.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe --
Our setup is the same as yours -- starboard side lazarette is open to sides and bottom -- so no water there. We have our batteries mounted on the starboard. Our port side, like yours, is enclosed internally (except for a small drain hole). We keep the drain hole open, like Fishtales does, but it still accumulates moisture making storage of anything that might absorb (or be damaged by) water impossible without zip lock protection.
So we store spare oil, etc. on that side. Anyone come up with a total solution to the moisture problem on the port side? Perhaps sawing open more 'vent' space?
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am like Bill and El... I keep the plug open...but it always leaks.... so I don't put anything that needs to stay dry in there... I think it has to do with the groove filling with water...when you open the hatch it all goes in.... I kinda liked the earlier hatch covers better...they had a lip so water would run off...

Joel
SEA3PO
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am convinced there is more going on here than condensation. While the starboard lazarette is, as we all observe, wide open, there is never a hint of moisture in it. And my battery switch would be directly in the line of fire of a drip. The portside gets more than a little wet. I'll be interested to learn what the compressed air tests reveal. I have wondered whether a bead of silicone sealant spread with a finger around the bottom of the channel in the frame would allow the gasket to seat better and prevent the infiltration.
Al
Chuckpacific

City/Region: SW PDX
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Big Sky
Photos: Big Sky
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My port lazerette has leaked since day one. Consequently I only use it for things that don't need to stay dry. I keep brushes, sponges, cleaning agents and sometimes stow bagged garbage in it.
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it collects more moisture than could be explained by condensation. I checked the outer edge of my lid with a straightedge, and found that the corners are warped up slightly. I had earlier replaced the gasket which did no good. I have been checking for replacement access hatches. Bomar make one, Part #781222, which is a different design. It looks like the lid curves down over the sealing area which should solve the problem. Has anyone changed out their hatch? I would be interested in their experience before attempting this project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: