View previous topic :: View next topic  
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Long range tanks in a 16' Angler- part 2 Reply with quote

Well, I did it. I pulled the 18 gallon tank a previous owner had installed athwartships under the motorwell and installed a pair of 24 gallon saddle tanks. The old tank blocked the bilge pump and always collected dirt and debris under and behind it. And, I was already carrying extra fuel in gas cans whenever I headed out of Whittier anyway. So, out with the old, and in with the new.

I must say, it really opened up a lot of cockpit space. There is plenty of "new" storage under the motorwell, and I don't have to trip on gas cans any more. So far, so good. Very Happy

I'll be posting pics soon....

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
AK Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I got some pics up here.

More description of the installation process to follow.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod-

Whow!!! What a difference! Great looking installation! Will be a landmark model for other CD-16 owners that want to increase their range. Let us know how the boat floats and handles with the extra 24 gallons of fuel. Good work, bud! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Rod-

Whow!!! What a difference! Great looking installation! Will be a landmark model for other CD-16 owners that want to increase their range. Let us know how the boat floats and handles with the extra 24 gallons of fuel. Good work, bud! Joe.

I agree - looks great - but isn't that 30 extra gallons? 24 x 2 = 48, 48-18 = 30. Wink With 48 gallons., and a newer engine (almost 8MPG on a Honda 40, 4-stroke according to C-Dory's site - of course not loaded with 48 gals of fuel), you'd have almost 300 miles of range. I don't know what kind of mileage you get with the current power, but the range must be considerable.

Roger on the SeaDNA

Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops!--Was so impressed with the installation, I forgot to go back and look at the numbers! Joe.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... you should be able to go for ever... I only had 2, 6 gallon fuel cans and could make a very good run... with the 50hp Honda on Jabez. I loved it when I pulled up to the saltwater docks in Hilton Head or Destin to refuel....right beside the big rigs...who were all taking on 120-250 gallons. That would be about 300 pounds of fuel alone... which is about 60 pounds heavier than me. And, when I had me and two others on board, full of fuel (12gallons), and the 60 quart cooler...and a bit of camping gear, I dropped to a 10 pitch prop... Got to where I could change it in about 15-20 minutes including properly storing the other prop. Kept the prop not on the motor in a tupperware box, under the V-Birth...but mine was a cruiser. Sounds like a great set up. Do let us know how she handles the water.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...hope I'm not raining on anyone's parade, as this is a very cool setup. But...are the following rough numbers correct?

Max load for a C-Dory 16: 700 lbs.

Honda 40/50: 210 lbs.

48 gallons fuel @6 lbs./gallon: 288 lbs.

Battery: 20 lbs.

So a minimally configured boat with full tanks leaves...182 lbs. for people/gear? Heck - Catman brings along more beer than that.

rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
Hmmm...hope I'm not raining on anyone's parade, as this is a very cool setup. But...are the following rough numbers correct?

Max load for a C-Dory 16: 700 lbs.

Honda 40/50: 210 lbs.

48 gallons fuel @6 lbs./gallon: 288 lbs.

Battery: 20 lbs.

So a minimally configured boat with full tanks leaves...182 lbs. for people/gear? Heck - Catman brings along more beer than that.

It isn't clear to me if the max load is calculated afer the typical the engine weight is included or not. However, if the engine weight does need to be subtracted from the 700 lbs, then I would suggest a gas-to-grain alcohol conversion kit. That would solve the problem of how to carry the alcohol too..... Beer Thumbs Up
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the battery really weighs 45-60 lbs!!

Sounds like we've got the makings of one of those self-deprecating really funny "Redneck " cartoons with a CD-16 towing a fermentation tank, still, and firewood to operate. Maybe we can just fire up the still and run the output over to the gas intake line with a "T" fitting and line into the cabin??? Captain Caboozle Rides Again!!! Joe.
AK Angler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! You guys are killing me here! I just can't stop laughing. Gas to grain alcohol conversion kit indeed. Would the grain alcohol to be used to run the motor, or the capitan?

By the way, the 700# would be after the motor. And if I had an 18 gallon tank and was carrying 15 extra gallons in the cans already, I only added another 15 gallons. That's only 90 pounds extra to get all that additional room to fish with. I certainly wouldn't need to fill 'er all the way up all the time, only on the long trips. And I would be burning fuel to get to the fishing hole, and then (presumably) loading up with fish anyway. I call it a wash.

Besides, I recently lost 20 pounds. And am shooting to lose 30 more. So that brings it down to only 40 extra. (Wish me luck.)

Any more comments from the peanut gallery?? Moon
rogerbum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK Angler wrote:
OMG! You guys are killing me here! I just can't stop laughing. Gas to grain alcohol conversion kit indeed. Would the grain alcohol to be used to run the motor, or the capitan?

Both of course! I was going to suggest a gas-to-scotch conversion but there's too much water in scotch...

AK Angler wrote:

By the way, the 700# would be after the motor. And if I had an 18 gallon tank and was carrying 15 extra gallons in the cans already, I only added another 15 gallons. That's only 90 pounds extra to get all that additional room to fish with. I certainly wouldn't need to fill 'er all the way up all the time, only on the long trips. And I would be burning fuel to get to the fishing hole, and then (presumably) loading up with fish anyway. I call it a wash.

Besides, I recently lost 20 pounds. And am shooting to lose 30 more. So that brings it down to only 40 extra. (Wish me luck.)

That sounded like a challenge... Wink
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK Angler wrote:

Besides, I recently lost 20 pounds. And am shooting to lose 30 more.

AK
I think I found those 20 pounds you lost Sad

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod: I just purchased a new 16' cruiser and won't take delivery for another 4 to 6 weeks, but I could tell the fuel situation was going to the one of the first things on my list. The honda 50 I got comes with a 6 gallon tank. I have had limited time to poke around a 16 but noticed the area you placed the new saddle tanks in had foam in it in mine. Did you pull out all the foam? Or was your boat built differently? I know that a lot of the current aluminum boats have the same situation, two big square boxes in the stern with no apparent use but when you open them up they are blocks of foam for flotation. I don't have a problem taking the flotation out if that is what is required to make the boat more usable to me but I am curious if you had to face that problem.

Lloyd
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod: (and everyone else who picked up on my lack of search diligence) I just read your other posts on the problem of the flotation. Guess I will have to face that and find a way of compensating for the flotation. But I like to take the long trips so I will find a way.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So AK.... How does it handle with the tanks full? I like your set up....and now looking for ideas for the C-Byrd, 18'Angler. I like your saddle idea and free up some room back in aft section... Hummmm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: