The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Which flag staff to purchase?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonJr

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Which flag staff to purchase? Reply with quote

I'm looking for flag staff mount for my radar arch. some reviews at WM.com are not too favorable. Which model works well? I saw one on a Marinaut that seemed to run horizontal before it went vertical. Thanks for any advice.

I thought of fixing a flag to my anchor light - now on the radar arch - but don't want to weaken it.

Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,

We ran a flag on our anchor light pole for a few years and it did weaken it until it broke this spring. Hope others learn from our mistake.

Nick
"Valkyrie"
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have admired the one that Chromer has on Checkpoint II. It is quite substantial and the tiedowns pivit with the wind.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper place to fly an American Flag is from a stern staff of a boat under power. It is fairly easy to fit a proper stern staff to any of the C Dories. An American flag should have an inch on the fly for each foot of the over all length of the vessel--thus a 22 foot C Dory would fly a 24" long flag.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be exactly proper but I use a teak wood pole from WM that just fits into a rod holder. That is mounted on my splash well bar. I shim the pole with a couple of plastic grocery bags. Fits nice and tight, with a twist, and comes out easy at night when I strike the colors.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

helm

City/Region: Medford
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Chack Chack
Photos: Chack Chack
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.boatingflagpoles.com, he makes a nice flag pole that will fit in your rod holder and gives you a free American flag as well

Eric

Finished the Great Loop July 7, 2011
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about every source I know of says the same thing. Here's a quote from one:

Rules for Displaying Flags aboard Recreational Vessels
There are no universal rules for displaying flags on a private pleasure boat, since there are no laws on the subject. Even the U.S. Flag Code is largely silent on how to fly flags afloat. However, many yacht clubs have procedures for their own members. Practices and formality vary from club to club.

And another:
It is flown from the stern staff of powerboats underway on inland waters. If the powerboat has a mast and gaff, the proper display is at the gaff. On a sportsfisherman, where a stern staff would be in the way of the action, the practice is to fly the ensign from a halyard rigged just behind the tuna tower.

I guess what all this means is that you can fly it on your stern or on your radar arch. I'm just going to make my own from a stainless antenna mount and stainless tubing and put it on my arch to keep it clear when we're fishing.

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
TOGO

City/Region: Newport
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: TOGO
Photos: TOGO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Flag Reply with quote

I added two photos to TOGO album of the flag pole and mount second boat I used this method and have not lost a flag yet.
thataway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pet peeve is flying the American Flag from the starboard spreader, antenna or fishing outrigger. This is the proper place to fly the flag of a foreign country when you are visiting.

The standard for many years of flag etiquette is Chapmans' Piloting and Seamanship--which should be on the book shelf of every boater. I have 3 versions--one from the late 50's well worn, one from the mid 70's and a new one 2009--I suspect that there is a newer version.

The 2009 version is very clear: On a Mastless motorboat, the US ensign (50 star American flag) is flown from a stern staff, and the Club burgee is flow from a bow staff. It does mention signal masts (which the C Dory does not have) and sport fishers--where the flag is flown aft the tuna tower, to keep the cockpit coaming clear for fishing lines. I suppose that if one was fishing out of a C Dory, a staff on the aft cabin house might be appropriate.--If the Radar Arch was on the cabin house, and the staff attached to that--again it could be appropriate when the boat is fishing.

In fact there are many traditions of the sea. It is wise to observe them and pass them down.

There is another confusion--that is the Yacht Ensign. Yacht ensign which has a fouled anchor in a circle of 13 stars in the field, was created by Act of Congress in August, 1848 as a flag to be used by licensed U.S. yachts. This was apparently not intended to be an ensign, but rather was intended to be used as a signal flag by a licensed yacht to declare herself exempt from customs duties, and its usage was required by licensed yachts. Due to its similarity to the national ensign, however, both licensed and unlicensed yachts started using this as the ensign, and eventually the US government confirmed that it would accept this practice for yachts in United States waters; but the national flag is the only ensign allowable in international or foreign waters. Some states have recognized the yacht Ensign--but I strongly prefer the National Ensign--or 50 star American Flag.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally, if the Yacht Ensign is chosen. It is to be "made" at either sunrise or 0800 and "struck" at 2000 or sunset, I believe, which ever comes first.

Quote:
"6.01 The U.S. Ensign and the Maryland flag are normally flown from sunrise to sunset. However, at most yacht clubs "colors are made" at 0800. This timing is proper when in the company of other boats simultaneously making colors. The U.S. Ensign is flown first and lowered last."

Quoted from the United States Power Squadron Flag and Etiquette Committee Flag FAQ page.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thoroughly chewed out by the police in Copenhagen Denmark, when we did not have our national ensign down before the Danish Flag was lowered at 7 PM. (long before sunset in the Northern Lattitudes). An exception to having the colors flying is if a vessel is entering or leaving a port no matter what time--the ensign must be flying. If you are not going to be back to the boat in time to lower the ensign by sundown (or customary in that harbor), you should lower it before you leave for the day.
Peter_BDA

City/Region: Bermuda
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Photos: Luna-Sea
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works well for me....

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album1493&id=Stern_1&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

RonJr

City/Region: Olympia
Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your replies. I wasn't aware of the rules concerning flying the national flag.

Thanks Togo, I like your setup and would pay for one.

Peter on Luna Sea I like yours also. Simple setup and out of the way. Firefall was a favorite band of mine in the 70's.

Foggy Dew, I copied your v-birth opening mod. Foggy Dew looks very homey.

Well, we're heading to the Gulf Islands Friday without a flag - too much to think about. I did manage to replace the manual wipers with electrics and finally gave Beagle proper lettering.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Which flag staff to purchase ? Reply with quote

On my Port and Stbd quarter I have two Scotty rod holder mounts. I do not fish, so they are not in use. Decided not to remove them as they are not in my way. They would make a good base to mount a staff and flag. I checked out the Scotty misc items on line, never saw anything that could work. Any ideas anyone ?

Martin.
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Which flag staff to purchase ? Reply with quote

If it helps, you can see the Scotty holder mounts in pic #3 in my album.

Martin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: