The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Jammin's Jungle Gym - Kayak Carrier - Radar Arch
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jammin

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Jammin
Photos: Jammin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Jammin's Jungle Gym - Kayak Carrier - Radar Arch Reply with quote

I have posted two pictures in the Jammin album of the stainless tubing structure I bolted on to Jammin. The kayaks are in Yakima Hull Raiser carriers.

I come from the form follows function (Phil Bolger) school. Conventional arches are more pleasing to my eye but this is, for my purposes, more flexible and functional. All fittings are standard and no holes were necessary. There is one additional crosspiece above the cockpit added after the picture.

I have awning and side curtain sections which will cover the top from bow to stern and enclose the cockpit. I will post pictures when we first use these.

I used 90 feet of .065 1 inch polished tubing and a number of standard rail fittings. Total cost approx. $700.

I will be mounting our radar, HF antenna, etc. etc. after we get Jammin out of storage in San Carlos Sonora in March.

We have just sold our Sailboat Backstreets and will be heading to the warmer mainland from here in Baja soon.

Dennis and Paula, Jammin

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jammin's Jungle Gym - Kayak Carrier - Radar Arch Reply with quote

OK, for those of us who are challenged in the fabrication department, how about putting your camera in macro mode and taking some close ups of those "standard fittings," where the pipes butt up against each other and mount to the boat? I would like to see how this goes together...

Jammin wrote:

All fittings are standard and no holes were necessary.
Dennis and Paula, Jammin

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Jammin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Rail Fittings Reply with quote

Here is about everything I used except the tubing. I used the take apart slides to connect to the C-dory rails.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Deck_RailFittings.CFM

Dennis
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rail Fittings Reply with quote

Great, thanks - I get the idea.

Jammin wrote:
Here is about everything I used except the tubing. I used the take apart slides to connect to the C-dory rails.

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Deck_RailFittings.CFM

Dennis
Claire

City/Region: South Central Wisconsin
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Elbereth
Photos: Elbereth
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Kayak rack Reply with quote

Hi Jammin,

I am figuring out something similar for my 22' Cruiser, so I have a couple of questions.

I checked out the Yakima Hull Raisers on their web site, so I see how they would mount to crosspieces. I am guessing that your kayaks are at least 12' long?

I am wondering why you don't have the kayaks facing outward. Wouldn't it be easier to hoist them on board and also strap them in place? Being inside the brackets like you have them, you must have to slide them in from the bow or stern or lift them over the top of the brackets.

I am thinking of a pair of 9.5" kayaks, and I think I could move them alone if the brackets faced out. I was also wondering about doing the cross pieces in an arch so I could mount the Hull Raisers on the outside of the grab rails and only slightly above them so I could still use them. The kayaks would tip inward toward the cabin center that way. I go to a lot of big flowages, so kayaks would be nice, but I also have to be aware of total height since there are some low bridges.

Claire
Jammin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Try Both Reply with quote

Of course you can actually try both in 30 minutes. Our kayaks weigh 33 and 35 honest, I weighed them, pounds. Both almost 11 feet. Weight is the important factor for me. I'd have a 16 foot kayak if it was a stable, affordable, 35 lbs.

I do slide them over the pulpit. I, and they, seem less likely to go overboard with the carriers facing in.
Claire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply - now it makes sense to me that you have the Hull Raisers facing out.

On my boat, the camper top is supported by one inch stainless steel bows for extra strength, and there is a curved bar that can fit above the bow at the top. The canvas guys knew that I wanted it to support a boat. I could do another cross bar about a third of the way back from the front of the cabin for the front Hull Raiser, and just a center bar down the middle of the roof connecting them for more stability. That way I could unsnap the canvas where it meets the back of the cabin, let it hang, and be able to lift the kayaks on board while standing in the cockpit, and then up onto the rack. I couldn't do that if I had solid outside rails like you do. On my shorter 22, a kayak would have to go much further astern to fit, and it can.

Thank you for the information. Oh, BTW, what kind of kayaks do you have? I have been comparing weights and lengths, and have learned that my original choice of nine and a half feet isn't a good idea.

Claire
Jammin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Lightweight Kayaks Reply with quote

I have an Epic Recreational GP 12.5 ft http://www.epickayaks.com/products/kayaks/sea/recreational.htm

Paula has an Eddyline Sanpiper. Heavier but much more stable than mine. http://www.eddyline.com/kayaks_info.cfm?KayakID=13&BoatType=Carb

We are big fans of sit on tops but they are too heavy except maybe the Feathercraft sit on top. http://www.foldingkayak.com/kayaks.htm#Java
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a pair of 11' Old Town Loon's because.....well....we're loons....they weigh in at the 30ish pound range and are very stable and...this is an important consideration if you'e using them from the mother ship, they have large cockpit openings. Some Kayaks have small opening that would make it rather tough to get in and out of from the boat.
Claire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Jammin and Ken for your replies. Ken's point about a bigger cockpit for getting in from a C-Dory is a good one to kep in mind too. There are so many kayaks out there, but I am slowly getting a feel for what would work for me.

Claire
C-Worthy

City/Region: Inside Passage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Formerly owned "C-Worthy"
Photos: C-Worthy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Sea Kayak Rack ideas Reply with quote

Hey Jamming, that rack really looks good. Thanks for the pix. I've got the teak rails on C-Worthy and no stern rails, so am going to have to drill. But I'm not afraid. Nope not me. Neutral

My question is with the length of the rack. I plan on carying sea kayaks that are 17 feet long. I am hoping that the length of the rack is enough to support the kayaks in chop. Guest there's only one way to find out for sure, but I plan to really beef up the rack mounting areas with backing plates and possibly new fiberglass.

How do your kayaks do in buckin' seas?

Thanks.

Jammin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the lighter the kayaks the less the stress.

We are presently in Tucson where we bought a house last week. Being close to San Carlos to launch Jammin is important to us,

We plan to cross the sea and go to La Paz about May 1.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to begin a project soon on a new Angler, for a local Alaskan. It's going to be made of stainless or aluminum tubing, and mount over the outboards (like mine) but be wider (of course) the twin-engine transom is ideal for a bad-ass-rack that will help carry long stuff like that (mine is a tremendous help for my big canoe I never deflate Crook )
Maybe I'll start a production for those interested (in and out of state Question Exclamation Smile ) I'm still gettin tooled-up for this new venture... give it time, and I'll be showin it on the web when it's done. It'll probably have permanent rod-holders and the whole-nine-yards... Xmas Eek Star
C-Worthy

City/Region: Inside Passage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Formerly owned "C-Worthy"
Photos: C-Worthy
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Stainless Rack Reply with quote

Can't wait to see that rack Red F. I'm still working up the courage to put a bunch of holes in C-Worthy's roof for mine. I don't think there's balsa up there, so that's a little better. It's going to be pretty sweet when I do, though.
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the feller I am building it for---sounds like---won't fall through Embarrased never know sometimes, lots of jobs end up flopping on me Crook

I'm lookin forward to it Thumbs Up it's going on the transom, (just ta remind ya) but I can build just about anything. I'm leaning toward powder-coated aluminum (large-tube style) so far. Tell mongo what's on yer mind... Mongo make Wink well Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: