View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Curried Crockpot No Meat Mush Reply with quote

Perhaps I could have picked a better name for this dish...

This is super easy to make, tasty, healthy and very low fat. It's derived from a recipe found online, but I tweaked it significantly.

It's also dirt cheap, and tastes better when reheated...a great combination for these tough economic times. Mr. Green

Ingredients

• 2 cups rice
  • 1 cup lentils
  • 4 small red potatos
  • 1 large white onion
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 6 cups chicken broth (or one large 50 oz. can from Costco)
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp fine ground pepper
  • 2 1/2 tbsp curry powder

A note on the curry powder...tons of choices here, and if you are a curry fanatic like I am, you just might have several varieties to choose from in your spice cabinet. I've settled on a combination of three Penzey curries that I've used in other dishes: 1 tbsp of Sweet Curry powder, 1 tbsp Garam Masala, and 1/2 tbsp of Maharaja. Penzeys link HERE.

Preparation

Rinse the rice and lentils, dice the potatoes, onion and red bell pepper, then toss everything in the crockpot on low. Mix it up well, and stir occasionally for the first couple hours.

Cook until lentils are desired firmness, usually 4-5 hours.

Makes 8-10 serviings. Reheat leftovers in a wok or pan on medium high heat, with just a dab of olive oil to keep from sticking.

SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would be real good with a pound of ground chuck added in to the mix....lol....
1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what he said,

WHERE'S DA BEEF?

Or at least, the chicken?

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting....... I have been a Penzey customer for about twelve years. The Rojon Josh mix is very good with venison and a bit of fresh ginger. It’s a bunch easier than the from scratch all afternoon method of cooking and still very good. Being a fan of curries I look forward to giving that a whirl.

Do you find that after eating curries that you experience vivid dreams? I speculate it may be cloves and cinnamon. It usually makes for interesting morning conversation.

Chris Bulovsky
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... now for those of us who take that wonderful cholesterol med every day....(WHERE THERE IS DOPE....THERE IS HOPE!!!)....

Looks good...but like the others.... put some meat in there.... You are going to kill off all the cows and pigs Bill by eating all their food!!

It does look good...but now watching my salt a bit more closely.... I have found that Mrs. Dash (my 3 salt free favorites are Original Blend, Soutwest Chipotle & Extra Spicy)..... has replaced many of the spices I kept on board...to include the salt shaker.

Then....cube up a good pork tenderloin and toss in there.... after you have gilled it and let the fats drain out.....OR NOT...and just take a double on the cholesterol pill that day!!

Love crock pot cook'n on the boat! Thanks Bill!

Byrdman

C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 sold again.. May 2020
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hu #14 - Bought her again - May16
Aloysius, Sold to Brother Mike Mar16
Aloysius, Hull # 440 RF-246
C-Byrd, CD18A, Hull #14 Sold May09
TC24, Hull #51, Sold Feb06
CD16A, Sold Dec03
Never Deny Yourself The Pleasure of Helping Others.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By golly, add in a lb. of cubed Hilshire Farms smoked sausage, and you might have something there!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
By golly, add in a lb. of cubed Hilshire Farms smoked sausage, and you might have something there!

That makes it a Cardiac Casserole, nephew. Be careful, you do NOT want to go through a plumbing repair job. Trust me for once.

Hey Byrdman - try forgetting added salt altogether. It takes about a year to re-train the taste buds, but it does wonders for yer blood pressure and CHF worries.

I gave up on Statins and the pharmaceutical alternatives for cholesterol. 500mg of Niacin/day does the job just as well and keeps me away from familiar porcelain which the pharmaceuticals force me to "embrace". Ya just gotta be careful when/how ya take it or you'll learn more than you ever want to about "Hot Flashes." Makes Patty's seem easy.

Don
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
State or Province: FL
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we compromise and add some tofu and low sodium bacon ??? Walking Protein lovers unite !
Marc

Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh...as anyone at the recent Sequim gathering will attest to, I'm far from one of those vegan hippy dudes. I didn't just spend close to $800 on a smoker and accessories, to toss mushrooms and zucchini in it.

So yes, I absolutely agree...dropping your favorite meat in the mix would definitely fill the void, for those of you fearful of something so healthy. Mr. Green

However, it's dang fine without any. You can also add the meat in later, or use it as a side dish instead of a main - both of which I've done.

There are just incredibly few things I like to eat, that are this filling, healthy and low fat.
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

We just tried your recipe with a few modifications. It is a keeper!

We don't eat curry too often so I only used 1tbs and I added a little cumin and I used brown rice. I also cooked it in a pressure cooker. It only took 18min to cook. This will make a good dish for when we are out on the boat.

Thanks,
Steve
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...no boating today..... Out with the crock pot.... Fire up the little Big Green Egg..... Honey...were going cook'n!!!

And Bill... I did print that puppy out. It does look good I just ain't got all the stuff here...and not going back to the store until around 930 am on Monday.

Why 930 you may ask??? Or..you may not ask...but I'm gonna tell ya.... Well, it is like this. Most kids are in school and not screeching like a lost bat hitting a windshield cause Mom will not let the "I got to have everything I desire spoiled little gizmo" have.... it is simply much quieter,....and I can read the labels better.

Plus, others have returned to work for the most part and the crowds are down.

Then, my basket gets the "healthy check" by the ladies leaving the health club after their Monday morning attempt to run, jump, bend, stretch, walk, swim off all that wonderful tailgate foods they tossed down this weekend during the football games.

You know the look.... Hummm...he cooks...just not too healthy. It is getting better now and feels better now with some of the changes I have made since Jun this year....but I still feel like the English teacher has that damn red pen out checking my spelling. We all want good grades.

But then....there is immediate relief in that I can look back now... Yep, and I do. Some of those basket checkers could stand a few more hours at the gym, and a few less ball games.....or at least give up the spandex. I actually had to put some food back one day cause I lost my appetite. Good God Girl....yes..you got all that junk in your trunk in the spandex....but folks are trying to buy food in here. Go over to aisle #5 and get you some big ol cover up floppy shorts like I got on....and a t-shirt that fits you now instead of when you were 6 might help too. But hey...they are trying and are again an inspiration for me to get my big ol butt out there doing something to burn a few calories and get the ticker ticking, and the lungs a pumping a bit.....God Love'm And for you C-Brat ladies that truly look good in that spandex.... we love ya.

Thanks for the receipt Bill. I needed another healthy alternative for my journey. Uncle Don... I have not had to fill the little shot glass size salt shaker in my kitchen since Jun. It was about a 3-4 week refill schedule depending on how much I was on the road....and...I have been home much more now....but springing back...and getting my travel legs back a bit too!!

Byrdman...making the list to make the basket checkers smile.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got Bills recepie in the slow cooker, and it smells great. Another 4-5 hours and It'll be ready for me to eat while the Skins beat the Rams! I did add some leftover chicken diced up.

The guy at the grocery store wasn't sure what a lentil was and I wouldn't have known one if it came up and bit me in the rear end. Have never used them, they look interesting. Finally, after searching through the fresh produce section....I found them in the dried peas (which I guess is what they are, at least from that family...) and a pkg was already seasoned with herbs and garlic. Added all that stuff in the receipie anyway...

I'll let all know how it is, sure smells good though...

Charlie
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, will have to try this again sometime, screwed it up royally today. Only had half a cup of lentils, so put in half a cup of black eyed peas...BIG mistake, the rice and lentils are mush, the black eyed peas are hard little rocks. Also, should have used Thai curry (Golden Curry is our favorite) instead of the Indian curry, I think I will like the flavor but doubt that Patty will.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2006
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Just think of it as a lug nut, or trailer brakes, or.... that should make it much easier. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Byrdman's no salt Reply with quote

OK Byrdman. I can't believe a lightning bolt didn't take you out when you were typing about how well you were doing without salt. I guess that white stuff you were licking off that pitcher of margaritas the other night must have just been dust bunnies. Laughing Your busted Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: