City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:

Why do sailboats zig and zag back and forth? (Please keep your answer related to the physics, not the attitude. Wink 20 Bonus Points if you can relate it to the Rules of the Road)

Oh my....they don't "zig and zag", they tack but you knew that....And they do this because they can't sail directly into the wind! The force on the sail is offset by the lateral force by the boat's hull and keel and/or centerboard. This pushes them through the water. And as far as rules of the road, a sailboat on a starboard tack (wind over the starboard side), has the right of way over a sailboat on a port tack. That's why a skipper hollers "Starboard" when in a crowd at a race, just to let all know he has the right of way. Now if two sailboats are on the same tack, the one to leeward has the right of way.... That boat can not maneuver as easily as the one to windward, and that boat has got to stay out of the way....

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good physics lesson, Charlie. And just to take it a bit further for those who haven't sailed, that "tacking" boat (not to be confused with tacky Laughing ) may have to change course several times to work his way up a channel (especially if the wind is coming right down the channel). At best, most sailboats can sail within 45º of the wind. To relate this to us and the Rules, the sailboat may have no other option than to change course in front of you while you are happily motoring up the channel. Our boats are more maneuverable (the main reason for that oft discussed "pecking order") than the sailboat working its way upwind. So, smile, wave, and try not to wake 'em as you go by (you did know that you ARE responsible for any damage caused by your wake, right?).

A while back, there was some discussion of International Rules vs Inland. Not to get into the differences at this time, but how do we know WHERE that division of rules occurs?

PS - Remember: answer and ASK. In order for this thread to continue, it needs "audience participation." You'll find that when you share you also learn. Very Happy

JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, nobody wants to answer, 'cuz they don't want to ask a question? Rolling Eyes

A nautical chart will show you the demarcation lines where the rules change from international to inland and vice versa. In general, these demarcation lines follow the coastline and cross inlets and bays. On the seaward side of the demarcation lines international rules apply.

If anyone is still playing, here's another question:

You are following the Rules. A boat approaches you on your left, making them the give-way vessel and you the stand-on vessel. Keeping a careful watch, you see that the bearing on their boat is not changing - a sign that you will collide if you continue. You give 5 blasts on the horn... nothing changes. If you change heading or speed, you are no longer "standing on"... what should you do, and who is at fault if you whack boats?
eNORMous

City/Region: Beaufort
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Antibody
Photos: Antibody
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll venture this based upon my flying experience. If you are considered the "stand-on" vessel during this experience, and you "are, in fact" the most maneuverable vessel, you must "give-way" to the least maneuverable vessel by engaging in a maneuver which displays clear intention to change direction - this means your maneuver can visibly be seen as a corrective action maneuver by the least maneuverable vessel.

You are, I believe, required to give way to any vessel with less maneuverability than yourself.

On edit, I just realized I forgot to answer the second part of your question. The answer is: big boat wins.

Last edited by eNORMous on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Norm,

The scenerio I wrote about calls in the dreaded Rule 2...

Rule 2 holds the mariner responsible not only for complying with the Rules but for avoiding collisions. Merely complying with the Rules is not enough. If, in fact, strict compliance with the Rules would result in immediate danger, a departure from the Rules (to the extent necessary to avoid the danger) is required. A mariner who chooses to adhere strictly to the word of the Rules, and thereby causes or fails to avoid a collision that could have been prevented by other action, may not use compliance with the Rules as a defense to liability.

The Rules of the Road were written for collision avoidance. In reality, these are maritime laws. The Catch 22 of Rule 2 is: follow the Rules; if following the Rules would cause you to be in a collision, you must not follow the Rules. Unlike driving a car, in a boat collision, there will be an assessment of percentage of blame... and if you are following all the Rules and are still involved in a collision, you will be assessed some percentage.

Case in point: you are going along fat and happy down a channel. Some idiot in a fast boat comes up behind you and whacks into you... you will be assessed some percentage of the blame "for not avoiding a collision." This would be considered "special circumstances."

So... first of all, follow the Rules. But most importantly, don't collide with another vessel. Seems easy enough, right? Wink

Deciding who is the most maneuverable is often hard to do... who has a deep draft in a narrow channel? Who has a boat that is slow to power up? Who has a motor running, but no steering?

Just avoid the collision.

Someone else's turn for a question, it's my bedtime. Laughing
eNORMous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,
I have, in fact, read that. It is a very common sense rule in collision avoidance and makes sense. However, I would contend that if a captain sees a big boat w/ less maneuverability than his own, and he insists on "playing chicken" with the BIG BOAT because he's "following the rules" - life means far less to him than it does me Mr. Green
I've enjoyed reading this thread.
Norm
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

In your situation the give way vessel has not given way in a timely fashion.

You have warned the give way vessel with 5 blasts and still he comes on.

You now must maneuver to avoid collision. Most likely, slowing down and turning to starboard to allow the other vessel to cross is the best choice.

The rules say avoid turning to port to avoid a vessel on your own port side. They may turn to their starboard at the last minute.

New question: What is a Securite call on the VHF and when should you send it?

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
eNORMous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Securite calls are generally made on VHF Channel 16 as informational alert/warning calls, but then switch another channel for the body of the call (generally). They are not, I don't believe, employed for MAY DAY or other imminent danger calls (I could be wrong). I think you begin the call by indicating this is a "Securite" call on VHF 16 (generally), and then state the body of the call will be broadcast on a different channel.

Also, I believe, if used in another manner, you can turn down your VHF radio broadcast range to limit the range of your call to a "general" immediate vicinity; so as to effectually limit the vessels you make the "Securite" announcement to. Most often I've heard "Securite" calls on coastal radio stations within a limited range e.g. for me that is varying sections along the AICW along Cape Hatterras, Camp LeJeune, restricted areas, and they do quite abit of Naval and Observational marine studies around here by the NOAA. I think they did it for awhile while they were conducting some of the lifting of the canons from Blackbeard's ship Queen Anne's Revenge. I might be wrong, it may have been on occasions when the flyboys are droppping ordinance offshore - you should feel the ground shake and what a wild feeling while in your boat during ordinance drops.
Larry H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm,

If a large ship is the give way vessel and a C-Dory is the stand on vessel, and I was in the C-Dory, I would call the ship on VHF 13 and let them know that I would maneuver to avoid them. That way the ship captain knows what to expect of the small boat, and the small boat knows that the ship will not suddenly turn, trying to avoid the small boat.

This should be done well in advance considering that the ship may need several miles to turn or stop. Large ships need to make about 7 knots to maintain steerage.

You are correct in that the more maneuverable boat can more easily avoid the less maneuverable ship, but that maneuver needs to be agreed upon by both vessels.

It is OK to not follow the rules, IF the vessels converse on VHF and agree as to what to do.

Last edited by Larry H on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm,

Your answer is correct. A Securite (pronounced----say-cure-a-tay) call is to warn other vessels. In the Northwest, we use the call when transiting a narrow current pass, or to warn of a hazzard in the water.

Example: Securite, Securite, This is Jacari Maru, a 40 foot power vessel transiting Jackson Narrows eastbound, repeat, transiting Jackson Narrows eastbound. Any concerned traffic answer on one-six.

New question: What is a Pon-Pon radio call and when is it used.
eNORMous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
Yeah, excellent point. Not sure why I didn't mention it. I, in fact, ran into nearly this EXACT same situation with a commercial ferry boat (~100'). He was crossing port>starboard about 1/2 mile at my 280 degree position. I continued my forward direction and hailed the vessel by name on VHF 16 asking their intentions. This was along the Cape Fear River, AICW confluence at Seaport, NC. To my starboard was shoreline, I was clearly in a marked channel. To my port was 1/2 mile of wide open water with 40' depth. At 1/4 mile the ferry was now approaching my 320 degree position. I hailed the ferry again, by name - no answer from the captain. I hailed again @ my 330 degree position 1/16 mile, and no answer from the captain. I checked my radio, all was good. Then about my 340 degree position, I could see the ferry come to an ALL SLOW - but did not change direction. I clearly maneuvered to port, since starboard was shoreline and my boat runs poorly on the shore. After performing my maneuver, it became clear this captain had one intention only - he was deadheading directly into a ferry port docking station - which I passed port-side of his vessel as I maneuvered around his vessel.
eNORMous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Pon pon, pon pon, pon pon, this is the United States Coast Guard ____ Group. An unknown distress call was received on channel 16 FM... All mariners transiting the area are requested to keep a sharp lookout and report all sightings to this or any Coast Guard station. This is the United States Coast Guard ____ Group, out."
Larry H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm,

Good call on the ferry. Ferrys are on fixed routes and schedules and small boats should stay out of their way. Next time you have a problem with a ferry, try calling on VHF 13. That is designated as the Bridge to Bridge channel and it automatically shifts the radio to low power. Even if they don't answer, and you have decided to avoid them, I would let them know on VHF 13.

That way any other traffic and the USCG radio station will know what's going on.

Remember that if the commercial shipping is in an area that is controlled by USCG traffic, (in the Northwest, that includes the Puget Sound) they do not have to monitor VHF 16. They will be monitoring the VHF traffic channel, and VHF 13. The traffic control channel varys with location.
eNORMous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VHF 13 Bridge-Bridge - I did not know that - that is very good information to know. Thank you!
Larry H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New question,

Here is Rule 15--Crossing situation

Quote:
Rule 15

When two power-driven vessels are crossing so as to involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on her own starboard side shall keep out of the way and shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, avoid crossing ahead of the other vessel.

Rule 15 clearly says that it applys to TWO POWER-DRIVEN VESSELS.

What about when THREE or more power-driven vessels are involved in a crossing situation?

What is the situation called?

What action is required of the vessels?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: