The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Secrets of Raymarine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppriest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Display content? Reply with quote

I'd appreciate any comments and/or recommendations on the most useful info to be displayed on the C-80 in the J.C.Lately. My mate and I are both looking at this through 67-year-old eyes and trying to assimilate information useful to operators notably short on practical power-boating experience.

We started out with a custom page which Les had setup and which some fool managed to reset to the defaults during a system software update. Currently we operate exclusively on a page of Chart, Heading Up, with Radar Overlaid, and a column of text data including XTE, Heading, COG/SOG, and Depth. We don't fish; just cruise.

Paul Priest
Sequim
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

On our E-80, I generally keep up a page similar to what you describe, but I change pages as the need arises... go to split screen (chart/radar) when the viz is low... switch to the triple screen showing bottom contour when in areas with shallows... switch to the full sounder screen when ready to anchor to get better bottom detail... to the screen that has a data box when we want to know the water temp... use the cross-track screen when going any distance over open water.

On the E, you go to the menu, scroll down to "page select" and you have a choice of 4 or 5 different empasis page menus. I assume it's similar on the C series.

I hope that is the info you are looking for. If you don't have a manual for your C-80, there is a pdf download available on the Raymarine website.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

You can set up your own custom pages for display. It's in the menu somewhere. Prob best to just go down to the boat and spend an afternoon playing with the unit. They had a quick start card which I did not find until after spending hours trying to figure things out. It is very nice to spend some time with no plans other than playing with the unit. Open every menu and sub-choices - take notes of the items of interest.

One of the confusing things is that many of the choices are listed on the bottom edge - that is when you need to push those bottom edge buttons.

It is way too stressful to try to do this while cruising!

John
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pn the C-80 my most used page is now a split screen both showing charts. One I keep at about 1 1/2 miles and the other at 6 or 12. You have the big picture and a detail at all times. If I want the larger full screen shot I go to the single for entering bays, ports, anchorages, marinas etc. I have the radar overlay over the charts also. I think Mac on Island Ranger turned me onto this.

On the info blocks I have lat and long, SOG and COG and depth displayed.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Jeff Brigner

State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Pearl
Photos: C-Pearl
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: internal clock Reply with quote

Is there something or someway to set the internal clock on the E series? I have tried to figure this out and no success. I want it to make sure tide times are accurate.

David, thanks for sharing how you set up your screen. I like that idea. Do you just keep the radar on the 1.5 mile range or is there a way to set it up with different ranges for each chart?

City/Region: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that one of the Raymarine-related items frequently sold on eBay is a screen protector. Is there actually any need for this?

Warren

TomCat 255, Hull #55, 150 Yamahas
Anacortes, WA
ppriest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Splitting Chart & Radar display Reply with quote

Jim B.

What's the advantage to displaying Chart and Radar in separate windows?

PAP
ppriest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

What do you use the lat/lon numbers for?

PAP
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Splitting Chart & Radar display Reply with quote

ppriest wrote:
Jim B.

What's the advantage to displaying Chart and Radar in separate windows?

PAP

Hi PAP,

In really low vis conditions, I put the radar overlay on the chart at the same scale and then use the other side for the radar screen... the contrast is better on just the radar screen and the minimal "blip" that may be a boat without a reflector shows better. The overlay on the screen makes it easier to pick out the "solid stuff" out there. I can also quickly scan out on the radar range and back.

Hope that makes sense.

Best wishes,
Jim
ppriest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: How UP is Head UP? Reply with quote

According to theC-80 Reference Manual:
"Head Up mode displays the chart with your boat's current heading upwards... NOTE: ...the chart will not update unless the heading changes by at least 10 degrees..."

Reasonable design parameter to avoid the display dithering when the boat is yawing about in choppy seas. However, it would be useful to know if what Raymarine actually means is that, in Head Up mode, the unit can only display one of 36 possible orientations (360 degrees divided by 10 degrees of heading change) of the chart on the screen. [This is not unreasonable from the standpoint of the display designers as the unit quite likely has, by today's standards, a sloooow processor and little working memory.]
If such is the case it could be good to know in order to anticipate, especially in situations of very limited visibility (sp. fog) when the chart is about to lurch into a new position.

Any pertinent experiences or observations?

Paul Priest
Sequim
chromer

C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to get fine scratches off the C80 display? Mostly from people poking at fish blips or points of interest. When the display is off, scratches are very noticeable.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Doryman

Vessel Name: Lori Ann
Photos: Lori Ann
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
Anyone know how to get fine scratches off the C80 display? Mostly from people poking at fish blips or points of interest. When the display is off, scratches are very noticeable.

I don't have that problem, but it must be a problem as there are many people selling screen protectors for the C-80 and E-80 on eBay. Maybe I should be pro-active and get one?

Warren
chromer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at the C-80 animated tide thing much until today. In the past, I've been focused on the shrinking/growing stack near the Tidal icon. I zoomed out once, and now see lots of green arrows around indicating tidal flow and speed. I was inspecting the San Juans for fishing areas for the derby - hence lots of arrows around the islands and passages. I apologize if everyone already knows this basic information.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good information, thanks and don't apologize for helping the rest of us.
chromer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:

I looked at this closer, i've actually wore off my coating by pointing at fish returns on my sonar window!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: