The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New Lazarette Covers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearbait

City/Region: North Pole
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My b oat is a 1990 I think and it has the fiberglass covers, thanks.
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Actually, the holes cut by the factory are larger than needed. That is the reason one has to be careful where the new covers are placed in order to assure that there is enough deck to hold the hinge and clasp side screws. I had probably a 1/4" on both sides to play with. I used the template and moved it around until I found the right location. I drilled a couple of holes using the template. Then I placed the cover down on the deck secured it with these screws, checked that the location was correct, and then drilled the remaining screws using the cover frame as a guide. I then removed the screws, bedded the hatch with Boat Life Sealant and reinstalled it. If your factory covers were in the same location as mine, the new covers will be a little closer to the edge of the gunnel/deck, particularly the aft outside corner, than you probably want but this is the only position tthat I was able to find that would assure that all screws had enough stock to screw into. If you need to cut out the hole, I would suggest using a saber saw with a fine blade. It is sometimes helpful to apply masking tape to the deck beforehand to minimize chipping and scratching of the fiberglass. A fine blade keyhole saw would also work.

I might add that these covers are awesome. Joel; did a wonderful service to us all by getting them for us. Thanks Joel.

Best regards,
Rollie/C-Batical

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Lazarette hatch covers Reply with quote

Joel,
I would also like two of the white lazarette hatch covers when you order next time. Thanks for doing this.

Jon
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent out the last batch of hatches earlier this week.....I have sent just over 60 now.......hopefully everyone that sent me their address got them....... I still have a few more.(6 sets)......so if you want to order some, do it now....once these are gone I will not be ordering more until next summer...

Joel
SEA3PO
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put my new hatches in yesterday. A great improvement for me. The job was fairly easy. I used a sharp, thin knife blade and worked it around the lip of the old hatches. Then I tapped in small wooden wedges that I made from a dowel. This broke the silicon seal that I couldn't get to with the knife. Unfortunately, the cut out for the original hatches were almost too large for the new ones, but it worked out. I had to drill new holes in the deck as the screw pattern was different. New ones have an eight hole pattern, the old ones were ten. So, a little Marine Tex, a little silicon, and now, no more leaking!

Thanks again. Robbi

A note about the "leaking". My hatches did not leak (much) if the hatch was not opened. The problem is that if it rains, or you wash down the boat, water collects under the lid in a channel that runs around the rim of the hatch, just below the lid. When opened, about a 1/4 cup of water would run down from the lowest point of the rim, which for me is right over the electrical on the starboard side.

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
1TUBERIDER

City/Region: Crescent City
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, I would like to order one of your remaining sets. Please send payment info and if possible paypal is easy for me.

Thanks Jeff

BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joel,

We'll also take a set -- the gel coat color if you have a set available.

Thanks very much and let me know how to get payment to you. I can PayPal it to you if desired.

Thanks again,

RonJr

City/Region: Olympia
Photos: Beagle
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set that won't fit my '87. I'll re-sell them at cost.
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to send me a pm with your mailing address so I know where to send them.....

I am down to my last three sets now.....

Joel
SEA3PO
Rob & Karen

City/Region: Franklin
State or Province: TN
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Life of Riley
Photos: Life of Riley
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed mine today. Like Robbi, my original hatches never leaked until you opened them, but then they dripped all over both batteries.

I was going to follow the lead of Rollie and Robbi and use a thin bladed knife to cut the sealer. I had even put down tape the whole way around to protect the surrounding gel coat. Right before I started with the knife, I pulled on the hatch frame to see how tight it was and it came right out. There was quite a bit of some kind of sealer, but it was not very hard to pull the hatch out. The second one came out the same way.

I used the thin edge of a wood shim to scrape 90% of the sealer off. I then sprayed the remainder with a light coating of this stuff called Marine Formula that I had bought to remove 4200 and 5200. It worked really well. Withing a few minutes that last of the old sealer was scraped/wiped off.

With the hatches out there was a fair bit of exposed wood coring. Some was sprayed with that interior gel coat they use, but probably half of it was bare. I mixed up several batches of 5 minute epoxy to coat the exposed wood and too fill the old holes. After drilling new holes, I bedded with clear Boatlife Life Seal and installed the new ones with 3/4" #10 flat headed stainless screws.

I am pleased with the final result. They look good and they feel very sturdy. That should be the end of the hatch problems. Thanks again Joel.

Rob
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey, new hatch folks...how about some pictures of the process and/or end result?
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: One more pair sold. Reply with quote

Joel,

Not sure how I missed this whole thread, but if you still have a jel-coat colored pair, I would take them for SleepyC. I will PM the address info, and I need the pay info. Don't have a Pay-Pal account. hope check or MO is OK. Thank's for your efforts in all this.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BRAZO

City/Region: Full-time Travel
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meyer Meyer
Photos: BRAZO
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major thanks to SEA3PO -- I installed the new covers today and they look and work great. We just bought the boat a few weeks ago, so you would think that the "original covers" would work -- but even though they "worked" they did not do the job correctly.

I used a steak knife to "open" up a small area under the old covers. Then I took a plastic putty knife and tapped it under the old cover with a hammer. I lifted on the putty knife and it pulled the cover right off. I then used the plastic putty knife to get 70% of the 5200 off, then a flat head screw driver to get 25% of the 5200 off, and then used a bit of MEK to remove the rest of the 5200.

I filled the old holes with epoxy, drilled the new holes, laid 5200 on the new covers, filled the new holes with epoxy, and installed the new covers.

Very easy process and now we actually have covers that will do the job.

Thanks Joel -- it is certainly nice for you to set this up for all of us.

Enjoy your evening...
SEA3PO

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finally out of Hatch covers.....gone through 70 so far... I have one person on the waiting list.... and if I can gather another four folks that want hatches I will order another case.....

SO...IF YA WANT ANY NOW IS THE TIME TO TELL ME... one last order before the winter and I quit ordering hatches......

The Hatches cost $35.55 each ($71.10 set) plus the $6.88 shipping from the factory to me...plus whatever it costs to ship em to you....that's it unless you live in California...and I have to charge sales tax.. ($5.15)

Last Call

Joel
SEA3PO
mikeporterinmd

State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Shelly IV
Photos: Shelly-IV
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel, sent you a PM. Very interested.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: