Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW..... Great stuff guys....and while yall are enjoying your trip up there in Alaska... I "baked" a couple of Alaskans in Bama on Lake Martin. Rick and Donna made it to Alabama from Alaska...stopping along the way to pick up their C-Dory...which will be named Foggy Dew. We had no fog, 97 degrees, no clouds, a pair of "noodles"....of which they propmtly went out and bought a pair of today for their boat.... and we did have a blast. So many ways to enjoy our C-Dory boats....just too many miles between wonderful water holes. I am for sure enjoying all our C-Dory owning friends and their posts. Great stuff....great boats....great folks...

Byrdman in Bama (today)
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wi-Fi was not running when David got back down to Sullivan Bay, he finally found an internet connection in Campbell River, where he is today. Both Daydream and Anna Leigh went through Nakwato Rapids at high slack, and the Motorboating photographer was in a helicopter, communicating by radio. Apparently the photo shoot went well. David said the photographer assured him we would be getting copies of the photos. Should be spectacular. The two boats then parted company, with David heading south at a good clip, and Rolf and Dave on Daydream staying inside to explore some of those 150 miles of previously uncharted waterways (the Canadian Hydrographic Service just recently released charts for this area). I really am not sure when they intend to get back - guess it will be fine as long as they are back in time for us to do the Bellingham CBGT! Here are a couple of pix David just emailed.

Daydream at Prince Ruppert Yacht Club

Daydream at Ocean Falls

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Ron on Meander

City/Region: Powell River
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Meander
Photos: Meander
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
I'm glad the trip is going well for Day Dream and Anna Leigh. Thanks for the reports.
I can't believe the luck they are having with the weather though! The pictures of Prince Rupert and Ocean Falls show beautiful blue skies. Both those place get some of the highest rainfall on the coast. Double that of Seattle or Vancouver. Lucky or what. Hope the wind and waves were as good as the sunshine.
Ron
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Day21-30 Reply with quote

Anna Leigh got home yesterday at noon. Spent a little time today with pics and this diary of the trip. I have added and deleted from day one and done a spell check finally. So here is Day 21-30.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Gas/Mileage Log Reply with quote

I also compiled a log of gas, mileage, engine hours and where we purchased gas.
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David & Pat,
This looked like a great adventure. I've been interested in the Belize, Seymour area for some time. Glad that you put your nose in there David. How long did it take to run back to Sullivan Bay area from there? Pat, I'd like to hear about the area from the guys that took Daydream into it.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Great info on your trip mileages and gas used, thanks. It appears you're doing somewhat better than my twin Yami's! And I would think your boat was somewhat fully loaded and then some for such a trip to boot. Any idea what your most economical cruising speed was? I think mine is about 16-18 nmph, but don't have a flo-scan to know for sure.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle, We left Allison Harbor, just 10 minutes from the entrance to Nakwakto Rapids, at 0500. Arrived at Sullivan Bay at 0715. Needless to say we made good time as the waters were quite calm. Probably averaged 20 MPH.

Dora Jean,

I had been set on MPH the whole trip. My best two ranges seemed to be about 4200 RPMs and Navman would show about 3.2-3.4. Also at 5200 I got about the same.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a discrepancy between what the Navman shows as instantaneous mileage and true mileage (actual miles per gallon, divide total miles traveled by total gallons used). If you look at David's log for the trip up, he used something like 369 gallons for 905 miles - that computes to 2.45 mpg, regardless of what the Navman shows for instantaneous mileage. His log shows gallons used and engine hours but not miles traveled after that, but I will wager he was in that 2.4 mpg range overall. I do not have my fuel log with me, it is on board the boat at C-Dory at the moment, but I computed fuel economy for each fill, and mine was around 2.2 mpg, although I too had Navman instantaneous readings over 3 (although not as high as David's). I was heavier (3 people and their gear instead of 2), and David was possibly better propped, although my ProPulse is MILES ahead of the factory supplied prop.

Anna Leigh wrote:

Dora Jean,

I had been set on MPH the whole trip. My best two ranges seemed to be about 4200 RPMs and Navman would show about 3.2-3.4. Also at 5200 I got about the same.

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patty towed Daydream into C-Dory Monday for the "200" hour service (I think we are at about 320 actual hours, hour meter shows 370 from the time I left the ignition key on for a couple of days in the driveway!) and some gelcoat repairs. Assessing the condition after the trip, NO "garden" on the bottom of the boat, although it had been in the water for a month and a day by the time we hauled her out at Blaine last Thursday, 7-13-06, just lots of growth on the trim tabs which was easy to clean off. We had two gelcoat "owwies" - a little one from David's anchor when his engine quit while he was approaching to raft and a BIG one on the bottom of the hull when Rolf ran her up on a rock at Smuggler Cove - he actually had to jump in the water to get her off the rock apparently. Dave and Rolf also somehow lost the mushroom cap for the Nicro vent that we have on the Airhead, and I am pretty sure that a bit of water got down the vent and into the solids tank, accounting (sorry guys) for the odors noticed on the dock at Bellingham - the Airhead needs only a slightly moist condition in the solids tank to compost properly and stops functioning if there is too much liquid. Maybe this is TMI (!) but when properly functioning, the Airhead IS basically odor-free.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys this is great stuff.... and no Pat...that is not TMI... those are real life usage issues/happenings. This is what makes our site REAL... you do not see these topics in the shinny slicks and brochures at the boat shows.

Oh...Pat... we know you were/are heavier than David... Mr. Green

I sure wish I could have made this trip. I have printed out all the Alaska C-Dory stuff the whole gang of you are posting and sending me via email. This is going to take me to the NW again some day on another boat for sure.

All thow the monies spent on fuel is up there.... these were AWESOME trips....on your own boats...and still about 1/2 the price of a one week with 2,000 other folks on board trip...and their schedule instead of your own. Thumbs Up CoolSmile Very Happy

Great job gang....and just what are/when the articles we should be looking for to be published.... If they are west coast pubs...then I am gonna need some help gettng one down here for sure.

Byrdman...preping to head to Canada for a week...without my boat. Sad
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byrdman wrote:
still about 1/2 the price of a one week with 2,000 other folks on board trip...and their schedule instead of your own. Thumbs Up CoolSmile Very Happy

Indeed. Good to put it in perspective, Pat. Plus ya didn't have to dress up to have dinner with the Captain and ya didn't have to diet to lose the 20 lbs gained on one of those cruises.

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Alyssa Jean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the actual numbers. Pat is correct on the trip up at 905 miles and 369 gal. = 2.45 MPG

The trip around Revillegigedo Is. used 90 gallons at 285 miles for 3.1.

The overall figure for the whole trip was 2234 miles and 807 gallons for an overall MPG of 2.77.
Byrdman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some sweet numbers David particuarly for a "loaded for travel" vessel. Bet there aint no Sea Rays in the 25-26 range with those kinda numbers.

Sending you an email with requested info from our phone call the otherday.

Byrdman
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that Dave and Rolf continued to log miles and gallons but based on when I left on June 25th, we were no doubt in the overall 2.2 - 2.3 mpg range...it is possible (likely?) their preference for 7 knot cruising increased that a bit on the way home!

Anna Leigh wrote:

The overall figure for the whole trip was 2234 miles and 807 gallons for an overall MPG of 2.77.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: