Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that 45 pounder is a toad. I'm not sure when the halibut opener is in area 6 (Port Angeles), but we'll be in that derby for sure.
Jon
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a typical day at the "Winter Hole" fishing blackmouth. Got out there at about 7:30 a.m. and fished for 3 hours without even a nibble. There was about a dozen other boats fishing in the same spot without any luck either. If there is anything I learned about the Winter Hole, it's patience. The bite started at about 11:00 to noon and we picked up two 11 pounders, lost two others. Cynthia got the first one and I got the second one. Only saw two other fish caught, but most of the boats left before the bite started.

When returning to the east Boat Haven, we saw an old fishing boat in it's slip fully engulfed with flames. Every slip was occupied with older fishing vessels and the fuel dock wasn't too far away. Fortunately the fire dept. responded quickly and contained it to that boat only.

Hey True Story Tim, any luck in Sekiu.
Jon
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the two fish Jon. Jigs? We didn't do much good in Sekiu. Weather was finetastic Saturday and Sunday. Just a few showers and not much wind as you can attest, fishing just east of us. Outstanding for the middle of February I think!

Released two fish about ten pounds (flasher and coyote spoon) first thing Saturday morning thinking that we needed something bigger for the Derby. Turned out I was right and we didn't hook another fish the balance of the weekend. The good news is I didn't have to clean out the cooler. Derby winners went 18,18,17,17,14. Not sure where they were fishing but it wasn't around us. We didn't see a fish netted bigger than the ones we let go and just a few at that. Plan on making it back up your way the first part of March. Maybe you can show me around the Winter Hole? Tim
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, an 18 pounder is a nice fish this time of year. Nice work on the two 10 pounders Tim, those are nice fish also. Most of the fish I've seen at the Winter Hole have been around 7 and 8 lbs. Yes indeed, the weather was perfect this weekend. We always use jigs at the winter hole, some people use bait and do well but I like to jig the steep sloped bottom while drifting.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hay Jon, how does that new top work for fishing, can you deploy the top and still fling poles around?
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, with only the top up, I'll be able to fish for blackmouth and halibut without to much of a hassel. This is when I'll need the canopy most of all because of the weather(Feb. thru July). Jigging for blackmouth and drifting for halibut doesn't take very much space to fish. When I fish for silvers and Kings in the summer, I'll take it all the way down. It would be way to difficult to chase fish around the boat, run the kicker, operate the downriggers, run from C-Lou and overhead cast with the vertical poles in the way. I figure October thru July I'll keep the top portion up all the time. I'll make a boaterhome out of this Angler yet.
Jon
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman, don't you just hate it when you try to guess if it's worth going out for the day and you guess wrong. Well I sure did this last weekend, I stayed home thinking the tides were all wrong and the fishing would be lousy. Well, my fishing buds at work were really laying into me today, saying that the fish counter said for the first time ever, at least for that counter, every boat that went out had at least 1 blackmouth on board. It sure isn't the same fishing we had in the fall, that was terrible. Oh well, next weekend we're all over it.
True Story

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon. Looks like I could be be coming up your way to fish at least Saturday provided the forecast dosen't change and my buddy dosent' change his mind. I'll shoot you a e-mail. Tim
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be out Saturday for sure unless the weather is to bad. Talk to you later. Jon
True Story

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fished the Point No Point area yesterday. Calm as could be with a few showers first thing. It was definitely slow, but we did manage to scratch out our limits of one each by about 1:00 PM. Both fish were in the 10-12 pound range. Don't have a scale. Nice fish for this time of year. We were pleased.

Both fish were caught trolling with flashers. First fish bit on a army truck coho-killer spoon and the second on a green hand tied version of a Grand Slam Bucktail (2nd Byte). Both fish were filled to the brim with candlefish about 4 inches long.

How about your report Jon C-Lou?
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, yesterday we didn't even get a tap. We fished for about 3 hours and didn't see a fish caught, there were probably a dozen boats out. I might go out today and fish the outgoing, 'dem fishes got to eat sometime.

Way to go, you got some nice fish!
Jon
Jon - CLou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we fished for about 4 hours and saw 1 fish caught for 13 boats. Actually a half of a fish, a seal chomped the other half. Cynthia had one on and lost it about half way to the boat. Tough weekend for fishing at the Winter Hole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: