The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

06/13 - 06/14 - Pender Harbour 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizarry

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Anytime Baby
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanx Martin , Glad to here that you guys got home ok. I'm still learning all the ins and outs of this web site , not a real wizard at the computer thing.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reservations made at Fisherman's Resort Marina for Friday the 13th and Saturday the 14th!

Plan is to depart Blaine Wednesday, June 11, cruise to Nanaimo, 64 NMs, little over 5 hours at 12 knots, stay at Newcastle Island Wednesday night. Depart Thursday morning for Comox, 50 NMs, a little over 4 hours at 12 knots, might run faster, might run slower, conditions will dictate! Refuel at Comox.

Thursday visit Martin and Andrea, Thursday night on government dock at Comox, head over to Pender Harbour Friday morning (right, Martin?). Martin says under two hours from Comox to Pender Harbour, not sure what speed he likes! Looking forward to another CBGT in Canada!

On to PLI, and plans after that vague, plan to retrieve by Wednesday afternoon!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
Reservations made at Fisherman's Resort Marina for Friday the 13th and Saturday the 14th!

Plan is to depart Blaine Wednesday, June 11, cruise to Nanaimo, 64 NMs, little over 5 hours at 12 knots, stay at Newcastle Island Wednesday night. Depart Thursday morning for Comox, 50 NMs, a little over 4 hours at 12 knots, might run faster, might run slower, conditions will dictate! Refuel at Comox.

Thursday visit Martin and Andrea, Thursday night on government dock at Comox, head over to Pender Harbour Friday morning (right, Martin?). Martin says under two hours from Comox to Pender Harbour, not sure what speed he likes! Looking forward to another CBGT in Canada!

On to PLI, and plans after that vague, plan to retrieve by Wednesday afternoon!

Hi Pat,
Yep, we are ready for you. It normally takes me between three and three and a half hours from Nanaimo to Comox running at between 18 to 20 mph. On Wed coming back from Friday Harbor it took 3hrs 15mins, with one to two foot chop for the first part. There is usually a chop outside Nanaimo, that quitens down as you get nearer to Comox. We leave for Pender Friday morning, probably closer to 3hrs. 2hrs if the Straight is like a duck pond. After Pender we are off to PLI as well. Looking forward to your visit.
Martin.
Home 250-339-6508
Cell 250-702-4320.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to talk about the plus and not so plus ( being on the water is never a minus ) of the different routes to this gathering. It comes down to two basic different route for me. Launch in Anacortes or Bellingham and run the west side of the Strait of Georgia thru the gulf islands to somewhere near Nanaimo and then cut across to Pender OR. Launch in Bellingham/ Blaine and run the east side of the Strait to pender. Either way its about 110 miles each way on the water. I can make the trip there and back ( almost) on one tank of fuel. I will top off some where before heading back. I could even tow to Vancouver and launch near there but it does not really save me any time due to border crossing and traffic but if I did where would I launch??

If I take the east side and wanted to make it a short run friday night to the Vancouver area where would I stay? whats to see? I average 20 to 27 mph in up to a 3 ft sea if its not too short a wave length. So 5 to 6 hours total run time.

How is everyone else going up? I know that the safer weather wise route is the west side thru the island but been there done that?? Is Gibson worth a stop? or bowen island.

colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have done both routes. We prefer the West side via Nanaimo. On the East The Fraser River delta means you have to stay well off shore most of the way, the water is shallow and can be ugly. In bad weather I'd definitely do the West route. If you do go up via the East we have stayed in False Creek. You can anchor in False Creek and dinghy ashore and there are a couple of marinas on Granville Island, a really fun place. We have also stayed over on Bowen Island at Union Steamship Co. Marina, another fun stop. Either is well worth a stop. Haven't been to Gibson but hear good things.
colobear

City/Region: Denver
State or Province: CO
Photos: C-Cakes
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made our reservations in Pender Harbour.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're in! Reservations just made. Thumbs Up

Peter & Caryn
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, you can save about 20 miles on the water by launching in Blaine. You check into Canada at White Rock, about a mile from Blaine. Then you can either go up the east or west side depending on water conditions. The run up the east side saves a lot of time if the water is flat. Sometimes it is - I made it from Blaine to Gorge Harbor in less than six hours in 2006!

Martin - we will have to adjust our time estimates! We run at 12 knots more or less depending on conditions!
bridma

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:

Martin - we will have to adjust our time estimates! We run at 12 knots more or less depending on conditions!

I'm good Pat at lower speeds, quite happy doing 14/15 mph (12 knots) going over to Pender. We got lots of time, and we'll stick together. First one in the pub buys the round Laughing

Martin.
Igrant

City/Region: Garden Bay
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Sprite
Photos: Sea Sprite
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming up the east side of the straight past the Fraser River can be quite rough depending on the weather and tides. An alternative is to come through the Gulf Islands and instead of going through Dodd Narrows to Nanaimo, come through Gabriola or Porlier and across. This avoids the stretch across the mouth of the Fraser but gives you the opportunity to come up the West Side from Vancouver on. Bowen is good to see, Keats Island has a marine park, Gibsons has a nice Marina and walking access to the lower town. Further up there is Smugglers Cove, a great anchorage or Secret Cove. These are a little over 30 minutes from Pender Harbour.

If you go on the West Side of Thormanby past Epson point there have been salmon caught there recently at about 135 feet. The outside of Bjerre Shoal is also a good place to try.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
I would like to talk about the plus and not so plus ( being on the water is never a minus ) of the different routes to this gathering. It comes down ...... Stuff clipped.... I could even tow to Vancouver and launch near there but it does not really save me any time due to border crossing and traffic but if I did where would I launch??

How is everyone else going up? I know that the safer weather wise route is the west side thru the island but been there done that?? Is Gibson worth a stop? or bowen island.

Tom, If you wanted to tow up to Vancouver, there is a "Sunset Marina" that has parking and launch ramp. I have gone from there. Not a bad place but the ramp is somewhat tilted. It's an easy run to Pender from there if the Strait of Georgia cooperates. (But then, its the same water coming across from Nanimo, just a different direction.) the boarder crossing we used was east, at Lyndon to Aldergrove. (I think it is State 539) We got in late, slept on the boats and launched early AM. Had a tail wind with following seas that got me back into my surfing days for a while.

It saves considerable water time, and bypasses the Fraser outflow.

Just a thought.

There may be some other folks using that route.

Link to my Princes Louise trip pix:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album901&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

serenitymay1995

City/Region: Cumberland
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Gumption
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: pender harbour Reply with quote

I just got denise out of the hospital yesterday. she had shoulder and knee surgery at the same time. I hope we can still make it over as I am really looking forward to seeing everyone. we will have to leave it to last minute probably but hopefully can find a spot if we get there.
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom. I agree with Barry and Ian on going up the mainland side. It can be easy,if the weather is good. If it turns on you it is a long way between sheltering spots. I've done it several times in different boats and under sail it's the way to go. Under power I prefer the Gulf Island run and cross from Nanaimo at dawn or evening. Avoid GS during most days if the usual summer westerly is up. It will knock you about. We were just thinking about coming back to BC via the mainland and recalling other trips made me decide to spare us issues by returning thru the Gulf Islands. Takes a lot of wind before the Gulf Islands are bad. Like a winter gale. Summers pretty easy. See you all there
George
bridma

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

My neighbour and his wife are interested in attending the gathering in their C-Cory 16' but need somewhere to sleep. Do you know if there is a motel or B&B close by to where we are staying?

Martin.
Igrant

City/Region: Garden Bay
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Sprite
Photos: Sea Sprite
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisherman's marina where we are gathering has cabins for rent. There is also the Sundowner Inn Garden Bay which is very close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: