The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fla Keys in January
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep talking about the Keys, we're going to be on Big Pine boatless for a couple of weeks, then to Key West for 5 days. You're getting me excited about being there again.

There is an interesting little marina on Big Pine right at the bridge to No Name Key. It is called the Old Wooden Bridge Marina. Very small, mainly fishermen, but I bet you could stay there overnight if you wanted. They are very laid back and have fuel and water.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
cruiserlessvinny

City/Region: Suwanee
State or Province: GA
Photos: cruiserlessvinny (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Keys Reply with quote

Love Anacortes also. We stayed at the motel at the ferry landing there. Beautiful area and I envy all of the folks who call it home (in the Summer).

When you get to Key West there is a taxi company that has an all pink fleet; I don't recall the name but there is a numeral included in it. Find out which company it is and ask if it is possible for Joe Cotton to be your driver. Joe could pass for a pirate from days gone by, has lived In Key West for 30 or so years and knows the area like the back of his hand. If you can get in his cab just tell him your a friend of a friend of his sister Barb.
When you get homesick for the water, and how can you help not while in the Keys, find Captain Jim Peabody for a charter (bring your checkbook); see if you can team up with someone else to defray the cost. If you contact him tell him Vince with the Boston Whaler he took to Bullfrog Shoals says hello.
Some fellow guests at Parmers Resort on Little Torch Key rented a sponsoned boat/catamaran (not really sure what to call it) in the area for 5 days for $900 or so dollars. I remember him saying that he'd negotiated the price down from $1,100 or so dollars. As with most anything, price depends on how much business they have when you want the boat. The boats were very low hour 20'+- and have 90 HP Mercurys on them. I wish I could remember who he rented them from. Try asking the floks at Dolphin Marina (first left after crossing Big Pine Channel onto Little Torch Key) if they know who it might be. All of us familiar with the cost of ownership of boats appreciate that this is not an unreasonable rental fee on such a craft. There are also glass bottom boat trips as well as head-boats available in the area.
An excellent place to eat is the Square Grouper on Summerland Key.

My knowledge of the Keys is limited to one week in the area of Little Torch Key this past Christmas. I'm sure others have more information they'll gladly share.

We found that the local folks are genuinely friendly and willing to help you enjoy your visit to the Keys. Have a great time and let us know how the trip goes.
CV

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time there are many marinas with empty slips (lots of empty slips in some cases)--but the highest part of the season does not start for another week or so. The two C Dory 25's were waiting for a mooring at Boot Key--and were anchored. They were #14 on the list, but several boats had left and hopefully they had obtained a mooring (the advantage being closer to the dinghy dock than anchoring in Sisters Creek). Comfortable riding around the harbor in an 18 footer with plenty of seats, vs an inflatable where it can be more cramped.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ajens

City/Region: Brookings
State or Province: SD
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Molly J
Photos: Molly J
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, yesterday we were up to #2 & 3. Maybe today.
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vinny,
Thanks for the information. We have been doing this for a few years now and I usually rent a flats boat or skiff and spend as much time in the back country as possible.

At the end of October I broke my shoulder falling into the engine room hatch of my boat. It's mending well, but I decided I shouldn't rent a boat and get off the beaten track until the shoulder is at full strength. I am looking at the idea of going out a couple of times with a fishing guide.
Lyle
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molly J, Lake Effect and Thataway,

I, too, enjoyed our time socializing and envy you being in Boot Key Harbor - one of my favorite places to hang out. I am visiting Jim and Loree (JennyKatz) in Naples and will head back home later in the week.

Have fun and a cold one for me!

Nick
"Valkyrie"
Miafun1

City/Region: Illinois
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Lake Effect
Photos: Lake Effect
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice meeting you Nick!
We will be waiting on you to to organize a C-brat gathering next year in Boot Key Harbor!

..the crew of Lake Effect.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Marie has her way we will be here at Knight's key (entrance to Boot Key harbor) for 2 months next year--not sure which boat we will bring then.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crews of Lake Effect, Molly J, Traveler and Thisaway had lunch at the American Legion Hall in Marathon. It was suggested that we have a regularly gathering in January/February in the keys--anyone up for next year? The weather is still perfect--although a bit hotter today Current temp is 79 degrees (but down into low 70's for perfect sleeping at night) and wind 12 knots out of the East.
joefish

City/Region: Great Falls
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: My Girl
Photos: My Girl
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great week last January at Bahia Honda. It was my longest stay on the boat so far and I loved it. Was convinced by a group of friends to go surfing in Cabo this month but count me in for January/February next year. I love the Keys and would really like to explore a bit more than I feel comfortable doing by myself. Very Happy Thumbs Up
naptime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are interested in next January/Febuary in the keys. We plan to do the ICW from Maryland to mid-Florida this October and leaving the boat in Florida. We plan on coming back in January 2013 to do additional cruising. The Keys sound like a great destination. Keep us informed on plans to do a gathering early next year.

Dick
cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just joined the BRATS and plan on cruising soon. Still working out the bugs in our recently aquired "Blues Cruiser". Since we live on the ICW, Palm Beach will be our first trip (got a brother there). Then probably cross Lake Okachobee, up Indian River to St Johns to JAX and back home. What do you think, bout a month? Could do the KEYS next. We'll be monitoring this site for tips from the BRATS.

John & Karen
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

I try to do our Keys trip in March as we stay about a month and we avoid going down sooner as I would worry about having to rewinterize the boat coming home sooner than April. But I would love to see a C-Brat gathering at Marathon Marina in the Florida Keys but for us the March time frame works better. Maybe a fishing trip to be included followed by a fishy dinner afterwards with a phoney awards ceremony for some laughs.

Blues cruiser,
We are heading down to cruise from Ft.Pierce south in early March. We intend to meet up with a Tugnut couple at the Pilot House Marina in Key largo on March 9th. From there we will wonder down to Boot Key Harbor then Bahia Honda for a night and probably take the back way (ICW) on down to Key West. On the way to Key West I would like to anchor out in the back near Johnston and Cudjoe key. We have reserved two slips for three days at the City of Key West's Garrison Bight Marina starting March 13th. I'm going to use some credit card points get a couple free rooms and rough it at the Double Tree Resort for a couple nights. After Key West we intend to slowly wonder our way back to the Harbortown Marina in Ft.Pierce where our tow rigs are for the eventual ride back up north in early April. If you see someone drinking Pinot Grigio and eating strawberry twizzers on the dock thats us.
D.D.

thataway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been in the Keys for about 3 weeks now--and have a few days left (lost our slip today)--next year we will be at Knights Key from Jan 20 thru March 20.

What we have noticed is that a lot of boat movement (including boats far bigger than the C Dory) depends on the winds. If it is over 20 knots--most of the boats stay in harbor--even 15 with wind against waves (in the passes you can have 2 + knots against wind--which will give 3 foot steep waves. So you have to make an account for winds. We have had about half of the strong winds from the South--and half from the North. Just before we got here, there was a 50 knot storm out of the South.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Fla Keys in January Reply with quote

Thataway,
Well next year we will look forward to seeing you there. Sounds like you are having fun. There is a place rest/bar nearby called the Castaway which has been there since 1925 not all the same owner but they have 50 beers on tap and pretty good food. It's right behind Burdines. Have you tried it? That whole area down there is a fun spot. Have a safe trip back home. Hope to see you next year.
Dave and Ginny Deem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: