The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Fountain of hydraulic fluid today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovery has had three different helm pumps.

The first installed by C-Dory 12/2005 at initial rigging.
The second installed by C-Dory 9/2006 when the first one failed.
In 3/2007 Wefings did repair work on the second pump to fix a leak, at the helm.
In 3/2008 the helm was again leaking and I contacted Teleflex. They sent a third pump to me and I have replaced it. I have not had a chance to get the boat back in the water to try out the third pump. Also the seals in the port motor ram have failed. Teleflex also sent a kit to replace the seals. I have not got that done yet.

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting. To date the helm/steering pump on Journey On has not leaked. thataways pump has leaked, but, Bob, was that on your 255 or 25? The others listed in this topic have been 255's. Werfings did mention a 19.

The gist of the above is that the pressure needed to control a pair of 150 engines with twice the mass, power/torque of a single may be too high for the Teleflex steering pump. Or at least marginal. One can put a lot of torque into that steering wheel, and the resultant pressure, instead of just swiveling the motors, may blow the seals.

Could one find better seals, or back them with a teflon ring?

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The helm pump seals leak was on the Tom Cat 255, and within the first 20 hours of operation. It happened the first time I backed down hard (maybe to 2000 rpm--nothing which I would expect failure--I was just backing to a dock.--straight--so there didn't seem to be a lot of load, but with counter rotating 150's, it may be significant. No probelms with the pump on the 130, but that is an older unit. Don't know for sure, but it may be pumps built around the 2006 mid year which were a problem--that would fit mine and Matt's. I have had a number of boats with hydaulic steering and although I had problems, they were mostly related to the builder having left small amounts of metal in the copper lines. In this case the lines are plastic. No metal was observed in the fluid after failure.

This Sea Star system is advertised as suitable for up to twin 300 hp outboards up to 60 miles per hour. The Tom Cat would be running half the HP of the rating. One would think that there would be a very significant margin of safety, since steering is critical, and if there is failure, it is a major safety liability for Sea Star/Teleflex.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
McDipple

City/Region: Portola Valley
Photos: McDipple TC255 (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may not help but in reading the SeaStar tech ref manual I had a couple of questions and this is the answer I got very promptly from them.

> 1. Is your HC 5345 OK for twin Honda 150hp outboards? Your info only
> mentions the BF135.
>
> 2. On page 176 of your hydraulic steering tech reference manual
> Question 3. 3rd para you say that the hoses should have a gradual rise
> FROM the helm TO the cylinders. My helms are several feet above the
> cylinder so how do I achieve
that?

The book is incorrect, a gradual rise from the cylinder to helm is what
you are looking for. A single cylinder is fine in this application.

Cheers,
Greg
matt_unique

City/Region: Boston
State or Province: MA
Vessel Name: Napoleon
Photos: Napoleon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Pump Reply with quote

Well I had the helm pump replaced today. I was using a new yard (the last yard turned out to be crooks) and the new yard did a great job. I mentioned the last yard I used, and they said it was not the first time they have heard people complain about them.

It was an unusual experience it seems to have excellent service. They also had the Teleflex bleed system which made the bleed process quick and painless. The mechanic went for a test ride with me. I cranked her in reverse up to 3000 rpm and no spray out of the helm. I ran it through the paces, with engine hard over and high rev in reverse. Time will tell but hopefully the new pump did the trick.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Former owner of Napoleon (Tomcat) Hull #65 w/Counter Rotating Suzuki 150's.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: AOK Reply with quote

I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to mention that the replaced helm pump did the trick. I had no more leaks or problems for the rest of the season.

I came across the yacht yard that originally did the steering work and padded the service invoice without my approval (Winter Island Yacht Yard) yesterday at the New England Boat Show. I was shocked to learn they were a Ranger Tug dealer. Shocked Wow...buyer beware.

I was pleased to see so much activity there though for Ranger and I also spoke with Bruce Perkins (Ranger Sales Rep). I think they had as much if not more activity than any other brand at the show. Bruce mentioned he reads this site and Tug Nuts. He also mentioned Jeff Messmer was planning to attend for a few days. I hope they do well. It was one of the busiest boat shows I have seen in several years. If I could own two boats one would be a Ranger...
catnap

City/Region: santa barbara
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: steering Reply with quote

i have a 2008 TC-255 and had a very similar situation today. i started drifting toward a kelp bed and threw the girl in reverse with a hard over to the starboard, low and behold oil started pouring out of the forward helm. i am not quite certain if it was coming out of the filler cap or the hoses at the rear of the helm pump, regardless something failed. oil was everywhere.

this is clearly not an isolated issue and i was wondering if you gentlemen could provide me with the quickest way to get this issue resolved protocol wise. thank god for asymetrical steering and good weather today as it could have ended much differently.

i love this little boat but i have many minor problems that could have been mitigated had the employees who assembled the vessel exercised more professionalism in the build. you would figure for the price paid quality control would be a top priority. could you believe i found a set of knee pads and a disposable breathing mask in the hold under under the sink?

-shane

ps. i hope someone from c-dory management reads this message and takes the initiative to resolve this issue. quality and customer service is all that will keep you afloat sir. check your six.

matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: steering Reply with quote

catnap wrote:
i have a 2008 TC-255 and had a very similar situation today. i started drifting toward a kelp bed and threw the girl in reverse with a hard over to the starboard, low and behold oil started pouring out of the forward helm. i am not quite certain if it was coming out of the filler cap or the hoses at the rear of the helm pump, regardless something failed. oil was everywhere.

this is clearly not an isolated issue and i was wondering if you gentlemen could provide me with the quickest way to get this issue resolved protocol wise. thank god for asymetrical steering and good weather today as it could have ended much differently.

i love this little boat but i have many minor problems that could have been mitigated had the employees who assembled the vessel exercised more professionalism in the build. you would figure for the price paid quality control would be a top priority. could you believe i found a set of knee pads and a disposable breathing mask in the hold under under the sink?

-shane

ps. i hope someone from c-dory management reads this message and takes the initiative to resolve this issue. quality and customer service is all that will keep you afloat sir. check your six.

Hi Shane,
Welcome to C-Brat's Nation. You have an OUTSTANDING vessel. 1000 miles logged on mine over the first season and I love it. Sorry to hear about your steering problem. As you can see it has been very common but to be fair the steering issue is with Sea Star not C-Dory. It's an easy fix and you will be back in business.

The best protocol is to approach Frank Walter at C-Dory (frankwalter@c-dory.com) with a description of your problem and a request to have the helm pump replaced. He will probably ship you a replacement pump. Check your local providers to find an "Authorized Sea Star" shop that specifically has the "Sea Star power bleed system". The power bleed system is an expensive tool that properly and quickly bleeds our steering systems. If none have this system, they will need to bleed it the old fashioned way but by all means try to get it done at a shop with the right system.

By the way - there is almost a hidden compartment behind the helm station but in front of the bow bunk where the fluid will collect. If you go into the forward bunk and face aft, on the starboard side of the vessel, reach down with your left arm toward the center along the floor. This will hopefully make sense once you are there...take a rag and wipe up the fluid in this spot. If you look around in there with a flashlight you will also see what I mean.

There will probably be a few QC problems you need to fix or address. If you do a search on Tomcats you will find the usual suspects. So far these issues have been relatively minor. Minor QC issues are the status quo for nearly all brands at all price levels - including those approaching and over $1M based on my research and first hand accounts from other Captains. So far the factory has a solid reputation and track record for taking care of their owners

Don't let these minor problems distract you from the big picture. (We all went through this by the way). You have a well made vessel that will provide great experiences for you and your family on the water. I went aboard other well known Cat brands at the New England Boat Show. Even larger and dramatically more expensive Cats did not come close to the design and space engineering found on the Tomcat.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must have been a later problem with the SeaStar units. I've got a 2006, hull #16 and have had no problems...

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
matt_unique

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Pics Reply with quote

By the way Catnap, shoot a PM to Tybo to set you up with a picture directory and post some pics of your vessel.

Ha ha - that's a reminder for Charlie's Tomcat as well!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hull # 39, May 2006 had that problem also--and it was a known problem then. Bad seals. My failed also in reverse the third time i ran the boat. SeaStar and C Dory stepped up to the Plate and replaced the helm pump and bled the system.
matt_unique

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: AOK Reply with quote

matt_unique wrote:
I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to mention that the replaced helm pump did the trick. I had no more leaks or problems for the rest of the season.

I came across the yacht yard that originally did the steering work and padded the service invoice without my approval (Winter Island Yacht Yard) yesterday at the New England Boat Show. I was shocked to learn they were a Ranger Tug dealer. Shocked Wow...buyer beware.

I was pleased to see so much activity there though for Ranger and I also spoke with Bruce Perkins (Ranger Sales Rep). I think they had as much if not more activity than any other brand at the show. Bruce mentioned he reads this site and Tug Nuts. He also mentioned Jeff Messmer was planning to attend for a few days. I hope they do well. It was one of the busiest boat shows I have seen in several years. If I could own two boats one would be a Ranger...

This past weekend while in reverse I heard the tell tale whistle of air coming from my helm indicating yet another failure of seals with the SeaStar helm. I'm sure it's a matter of time before I have fluid coming out if symptom history repeats itself.

Two (brand new) helms in 1.5 years of ownership...I have to admit I've lost confidence in SeaStar for the Tomcat helm. Does anyone know if there are other hydraulic systems from other manufacturers that would fit the existing helm hole/mate up with the existing fluid lines?

Thanks
Wefings
Dealer

City/Region: Panhandle
Photos: Cruise Ship #4
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly a Uflex.Its Italian. Ranger Tugs uses them , as well as many others. They are the competitor in the OEM Market . There is a Japanese system called Hilex [sp?]as well . Ill look for the info.
Here is the Aussie version. Hydrive
Marc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: