The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

08/22 - 08/28 - Rideau Canal Cruise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTYankee

City/Region: Conn
State or Province: CT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Crescent Girl
Photos: Crescent Girl
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this questions has been answered, but is there a dock to tie up for the night at Cedar Point SP and can we spend the night there?
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Sruise Reply with quote

Hi All,

Sounds like all your plans are working out. Pat and I are south of you on our forth week on the Erie Canal.
We wish you well with smooth water and good restaurants.C-Brats always find good eats!

Our cat Mr. Grey does not care about restaurants, he watches birds and ducks and is happy with the same food he gets at home. He has not tried swimming again. It took him too long to dry the last time. Over three hours.

We are thinking of you.

Fred, Pat, and Mr. Grey(the cat)

Rick from Maine

City/Region: No. Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

Hi Dun,

We won't need a dingy. There are always lock and park walls to tie to like on the Erie. But, there are opportunities to anchor out in bays on lakes that are an integral part of the Rideau waterway, if anyone wants. There are places to reprovision in several towns on the way.

I don't know about the Cedar Pt State park marina. Hopefully, Nate can tell us.

Rick
Nate Leonard

City/Region: Locke
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Cedar Point Reply with quote

Hi All;
Cedar Point has docks, showers etc but don't think there are any meals or groceries near. Not sure cost of using the docks.

Best,
Nate

ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Have a great trip. Wish I was there, but work still calls.

Fred

Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

The "Official C-Dory/C-Brat Rideau Canal Cruise Gathering" start will be a cookout at Dun's Campsite in Cedar Pt State Park, on Tues 8/21. Bring your own food, since Terry has abdicated his duties and won't be providing the Red Hots and Red Cat while he plays with Byrdman in the NW.

We'll gather around 6:00 PM at the dock, and go to Dun's campsite for food, introductions, and beverages. Then we'll start the cruise on Weds AM.

Our start point, Clayton NY, is the "First Day of Sail" post office for the newly released wooden speed boat stamps. If anyone can find the post office, you can get a nice looking Cancel on the stamp to commemorate the start of our cruise.

Rick from Maine
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

The Rideau C-Dory Cruise was a doozy. Statistics:
1000 miles trailering
approx 170 miles cruising
41 Locks
6 boats - 12 people
Started at the Gathering Cook Out on Tues 8/21 in Clayton NY ( 1000 Islands)
Ended at Dow’s Pavilion Launch Ramp on Monday 8/27 in Ottawa

The C-Brats were:
Rick & Carol Stambaugh Hunky Dory
Dun & Becky Smith Crescent Girl
Dave & Valerie Seaton Widget
Dave & Dayna Paxton Alma’s Only
Nate & Betsy Leonard Clover
Ken Merson & Don “Jersey Boys”

Day 1 - We quickly crossed the St Lawrence and entered Canada in Kingston. Most of us took a trolley tour of the city and learned a lot about it’s history and military background. The Canadian Olympic Regatta Kingston (CORK) was in progress. I’ve never seen so many sail boats racing. Had to be hundreds. After Dave jury rigged Nates boat ( the ignition failed), we headed for our first Rideau lock. What an experience. As we tied to the ready line to wait an hour for boats locking thru from the other direction, we heard talking in the bushes about 25 ft from Hunky Dory. Peering thru the bushes, we saw people Rock Climbing the wall where the lock had been cut thru. Then, a Train came right over our heads as we entered the lock. You can’t imagine how noisy a train 6 ft above your head is! Then we watched as the little manual swing bridge was closed so cars could go over us in the lock. These locks aren’t like the Erie Canal. We got to go thru locks in the rain, and spent the night in Seelys Bay. Most of us gathered in the local restaurant where the wine choice that evening was white, period.

Day 2 - Weather was threatening. The two Daves managed to jury rig Clover so Nate could start it from the helm. Stopped at Jones Falls for lunch and to tour the Dam and Historical buildings. Did more locks in rain. Clover had engine trouble in a down pour, so Alma’s Only towed Clover for a while in very low visibility down pours. As we were all soaked from a wet afternoon of locking, we all spent the night in B&B’s in Westport. Unfortunately, we arrived in Westport before the gift shops closed. I now own a small candle chandelier ( Ooh Ooh). We made it to Last Call at the local pub. I haven’t done that in 30 years ( of course, last call was at 9:00 PM here!). Heavy thunder storms that night.

Day 3 - We headed to Colonel By Island which is a fish sanctuary. 6 C-Dorys rafted on Alma’s Only for a communal pass the plate thru the cockpits lunch. We made it up the Tay Canal to Perth and toured the town on a very hot sunny day. Then headed to the lakes for a quick dip to cool off. Spent the night at Poonamalie Lock, where we had the place to ourselves. So, we partied until the bugs drove us to our boats. Heavy rains that night.

Day 4 - Went thru Smith Falls to Merrickville for lunch, where there were lots of shops & restaurants. Our wives would liked to have spent the night here, but we pushed on thru about 7 Locks to reduce the travel time tomorrow. We pulled into Pirates Cove Marina, which was free for the night because of the 175th anniversary. Clover delivered pizzas by boat to us, and we had a pizza and wine party on shore. This Marina had showers, which were needed after the prior night.

Day 5 – Dave delivered fresh eggs to the boat so we had omelets for breakfast. Pulled into Manotick using a dock that was condemned as unsafe since there was supposed to be over 100 shops and restaurants. Since it was Sunday AM only 2 shops were open! Hallelujah! Picnicked at a lock, then headed to Ottawa. We ran into the Canoe & Kayak races in the Canal which slowed things down ( and got us yelled at). Then we headed up the canal into Ottawa on a busy Sunday afternoon with perfect weather. It was the hi-light of the cruise for us. It was gorgeous. Beautiful scenery and people lining the canal for 6 miles. Next to the canal are sidewalks with bicycles, roller bladers, and walkers all smiling at the C-Dory Armada entering Ottawa. We tied up in the center of Ottawa at the wall in view of Parliament and historic buildings with a Gay Pride concert pounding away next to the canal. All 12 of us gathered for our Farewell dinner at an Irish Pub that night.

Day 6 – The men did the car shuffle to get the tow rigs up to Ottawa, while our wives toured Ottawa’s Market, museums, Gin Mills, and shopping districts. We hauled the boats at a very busy ramp, and headed our separate ways, after a great cruise.

I'm sure the other participants will provide more interesting stories than this meat & potatoes recollection when they get squared away. We'll post photos when an album is set up.

Rick and Carol from Maine
CTYankee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Bill,

Can you please set us up with a photo Album for the Rideau Canal Trip?

Dun
ffheap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Sorry I missed the trip. Sounds like a great time.

Fred
ffheap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

You have been back for a few days. WHERE ARE THE G.D.PICTURES. You know my little brain needs pictures.

Fred
CTYankee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Fred,

We've been thinking of you and missed you on our cruise. I was all set to post pictures on Friday, but the photo album had not been created yet. All my pictures with captions are on my computer at work and since we have a long weekend, I won't get to post them until Tuesday. I have a much faster connection at work so you'll just have to wait.

Dun
Rick from Maine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal C-Brat Cruise Reply with quote

Crossing into the US

So, there were us 7 adult men crammed into the mini van driving from Ottawa to Clayton, NY to get our Towing rigs. At the US Customs entry, the agent looks in the van and says: “ I guess you can’t be carrying much back with you; there’s no space.” “IDs please.” “What were you doing in Canada?”

I replied: “We took our boats up the Rideau Canal and are going back to get our Tow rigs.”

The agent then asked: “ How did you guys meet?”

I replied: “On the internet.”

Now the agent was comparing our passports with a computer screen, and you could see him trying to keep a straight face. But, he failed. First the corners of his mouth curled up ( but he was fighting it). Then he broke into a grin.

I asked: “ Would it help if I said our wives are waiting for us in Ottawa?”

He started laughing and replied: “Not at this point.”
teflonmom

City/Region: Red Lion
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Snickers AUG 08
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Rideau Canal Cruise Reply with quote

Glad you had a nice time. You guys never looked THAT WAY to me. I guess they believed you about your wife waiting.

Looking forward to the pics.

Fred, Pat, and Mr. Grey(the swimming cat)
CTYankee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we have some pictures posted. I think Rick did his usual excellent job of describing the trip, but I want to add that we find so much enjoyment from the company of other C-Brats on these trips, that we can't wait for the next one. The day's fly by and we forget sometimes what day we're on. We visited a place that we had only heard about in tales from people like El and Bill, and forever will remember the good times and good friends. Thank you all...and especially our organizer, Rick. Great Job, Eh.

Next year...on to Maine!
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, sorry you couldn't make it a good time was had by all.
I added some photos for your pleasure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: