ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in opening side ports in the berth trunk. At night we usually sleep with the berth hatch open a little. Open the hatch, turn the dogs to the closed position, lower the hatch. This leaves it open about a 1/2 inch. Unless it rains really hard, no water comes in. Sometimes we leave the center window open the same way.

Even though there is some dampness, I've not had any problems with mold/mildew on the inside of the boat. I do find mold/mildew in the nonskid tread on the outside which can take some work to remove about once a year.

I am going to try some foam padding/lining on the v-berth sidewalls. My wife complains of cold contact with the walls when sleeping in colder temperatures. We have spent nights on the boat where the temps were below freezing.
AKMel

City/Region: Gustavus
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: C-esta
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking better insulation on the hull will help keep the boat warmer, but some form of dehumidification is necessary to deal with the windows. The humidity capacity chart of cold air versus warm air was insightful. Thanks. 1) I purchased a peltier dehumidifier for cheap. 2) I was PM'd to enclose the anchor rode area and install a 4" computer fan. The PM said theirs draws humid air forward (especially while sleeping) and exhausts it out the weep hole and deck cover, and in turn draws some cooler less humid air into the cabin. I'll try those in combination and see if I need any further steps.

My idea of a tragedy is a deduction killed by a fact.

2008 22 Cruiser 2017-present
2003 Alumaweld Intruder 2012-present
ssobol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone thought of putting a heated element on the windows like rear window defrosters on you car? I could see doing something like this on the front windows (not the center one).

https://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-about.htm

Seems like these come in a lot of sizes. You'd have to put up with lines on the window which some people probably wouldn't like.

There is also this, but it needs 115vac:

http://www.seaclearllc.com/seaclear2fix_012.htm

And this which does not require power:

http://www.seaclearllc.com/seaclear2fix_017.htm
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the wallas 22gb which has two intakes one for fresh air and one for recirculate. You can have the both draw fresh air but that is not recommended. I slept in the boat at 30 degrees which built some moisture but after turning the wallas on within an hour or so the windows were mostly clear. That is the only time I tested it in that weather and it seemed to work ok. I think pulling air in from outside does help create positive airflow to push moisture out. It’s not instant but seems to work.
"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish my Webasto would dry things out. It does a great job keeping the boat warm, all the way down to 18 degrees. I have tried using both outside air and inside air for it's combustion air, but notice no difference between the two. There are enough air leaks that I shouldn't need to keep any windows open. (Ie, sink drain and anchor rode hawser.) However, when I do crack a window or two, that does seem to help, except when high moisture outside such as rain. But once it gets below about 40, leaving the windows open is somewhat defeating the purpose of the heater. And without some kind of deflector on the windows/hatches, leaving them open during rain is not reasonable either... Colby
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you my boat is insulated on all surfaces other than the windows so that may help too...
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think that makes a difference. Two-Bears from your neck of the woods, has automotive interior in theirs and along with looking nice, they say it stays dry. I am very tempted to do something like that, but just not sure I should. I think it would be a mess then if I ended up having to take it out.
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
There are enough air leaks that I shouldn't need to keep any windows open. (Ie, sink drain and anchor rode hawser.) Colby

I am not sure about that - I slept with two friends on the boat in the fall before the heater install with the door and windows closed on my venture - come morning time I could not light my jetboil indoors. when I opened the door and windows it lit without issue. IE too little oxygen and dangerous.

The Wallas when not used for heat can be turned on to run as an air circulator. I am amazed how little power it uses with the adjustable fan speed. when it gets to temp it barely uses any current with the brushless fan running at low speed.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
colbysmith wrote:
There are enough air leaks that I shouldn't need to keep any windows open. (Ie, sink drain and anchor rode hawser.) Colby

I am not sure about that - I slept with two friends on the boat in the fall before the heater install with the door and windows closed on my venture - come morning time I could not light my jetboil indoors. when I opened the door and windows it lit without issue. IE too little oxygen and dangerous.

The Wallas when not used for heat can be turned on to run as an air circulator. I am amazed how little power it uses with the adjustable fan speed. when it gets to temp it barely uses any current with the brushless fan running at low speed.

Two issues here: I find in most of the 22's there is a fairly good size opening under the cockpit combing into the cabin's aft bulkhead (both sides). This is probably bigger than the sink drain and perhaps the anchor locker; depending on the size of the deck pipe /or windlass line hole--both of these are probably going to be fairly high humidity areas.

I keep a SS scrub pad in this opening under the combings to keep critters out. There is always going to be some significant leakage around the doors.

Ordutch1975: I don't have any idea how well the new ventures are sealed--and I should have looked at the one which was brought to Hontoon by 3 Rivers Marine. But I would really be concerned if the presence of two people reduced the PO2 to a level where it would not support combustion by a JetBoil--A pulse oximeter is less than $20 at CVS or similar pharmacies, and would be worth carrying to roughly check people's oxygen levels. (another option is a single gas analyzer, at $130., if concerned) My experience with similar stoves when backpacking (in a closed boat there are certainly more dangers), is that they work fine at high altitudes where the ambient Oxygen is about 60% of at sea level. (combustion efficiency depends on both gas mixture and temperature at high altitudes, so that has to be taken into consideration.)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree as to the concern - I will never sleep in it without some sort of window or something open. It was 3 people including me. For the record I have nothing that would burn CO2 in the cab either. Well now I have the wallas but it exhausts starboard side. All fuel for my jetboil, and stove was kept outside.

The rear door and front anchor locker are sealed with rubber gaskets, windows seems airtight. So the only air exchange would have been through the sink which is likely not much as it has no where to go.

as to this "I find in most of the 22's there is a fairly good size opening under the cockpit combing into the cabin's aft bulkhead (both sides" I don't see any opening on my boat other than the slight opening to the cab for the control cables but that is in a tube and seems pretty well sealed on the rear where it exits the bulkhead.

Last edited by Ordutch1975 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordutch1975 wrote:
colbysmith wrote:

I am not sure about that - I slept with two friends on the boat in the fall before the heater install with the door and windows closed on my venture - come morning time I could not light my jetboil indoors. when I opened the door and windows it lit without issue. IE too little oxygen and dangerous. ...
Aaack! What thataway said! A JetBoil is a very serviceable backpacking/climbing stove, and lights easily up to at least 12,000 ft. Definitely low O2 if it will not light.
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I doubt that a typical C-dory will seal up enough to reduce the available oxygen content significantly enough to prevent your stove from working just from people breathing (even 3).

The Jetboil fuel is listed as "butane/propane". It does not indicate the percentages of each. However, if it is mostly butane and it was cold I suggest that the stove did not light because the fuel was too cold to vaporize properly. After fiddling with it for a bit and or having it warm up some while you messed with the windows enough of the fuel vaporized to allow it to light. Butane will not vaporize below about 32 deg F.

I have a butane stove and on cold mornings it is usually necessary to warm the butane canister with body heat to get the stove to operate. As the fuel vaporizes it recools the canister and it may take a few tries to get the stove warm enough to maintain the canister temp.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
slight opening to the cab for the control cables but that is in a tube and seems pretty well sealed on the rear where it exits the bulkhead.

It sounds as if the new Venture is better sealed than the C Dorys. Some had the whole area cut out- down as far as the bottom of the tray under the gunnel. Some newer ones have about a 3" diameter hole with some gasket type of material around the periphery. That would give a surface area of about 7 sq inches and then the wires and cables might take up half of that--or 3 sq inches--still a fair amount of area for air circulation.

If you have a tube thru there, beside and always leave a "chase" wire or string, when you need to pull a new transducer, cable or wire thru.

The Diamond Sea Glaze doors may be better now--but my Tom Cat never closed fully tight on the gaskets.

There are different fuels ranging from pure propane, to pure isobutane which can be used in the Jet Boil Stoves. Certainly the temperature needs to be taken into effect for the fuel--and if it were pure Butane (not the generic Jet Boil) then vaporization could be the cause...But be safe anyway!..
ssobol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy test is to wait for a nice sunny spring or fall day. Let the boat sit in the sun and get as warm as possible, then close it up. First thing the next morning see how hard it is to open the door. If the boat is sealed it should be noticeably more difficult than usual.
Ordutch1975

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By my basic calculations. 600 cubic feet of space to be generous you would have about a day and a half till CO2 levels were toxic - above 7% and about 3 days till you had critical oxygen levels with no air flow.

This seems pretty cool to counter temp issues for the jetboil fuel

https://backpackinglight.com/jetboil-joule-jordan-review-part-1/

Last edited by Ordutch1975 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: