hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next meeting is scheduled for Sept 19. I don't know what time yet. It should be a public comment and letter acceptance meeting. Please write or consider coming up to Port McNeil. This is a case of little David up against an environmental Goliath and David is running out of stones.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Pandion

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the new information, Harvey. Please keep up your good reporting on this subject!

Andy Ryan

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Port Harvey Reply with quote

Hi all. Some of the BC Brats have likely sent in emails or calls to the Regional District link Harvey provided. I have voiced my concern with them and it all counts. Our US friends can surely chime in as cruising people bring tourist dollars and word of mouth to others. Don't be shy to send a note in support. The whole area is under pressure in not only this instance but the wild salmon /caged salmon issue. Lots of Industry pressures to some wild BC waters. Thanks for the concern everyone.
George
Pandion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey sent me an Aug. 18 article in the Port Hardy weekly, the North Island Eagle. Here's a link to it.

And here are some select quotes from the article:
    “I have real fear in this situation, because I think it’s going to escalate. “I have real distress in holding things up for too long. I believe the RCMP should already be involved in this,” [emphasis added] said Malcolm Island
    (Area A) Director Heidi Soltau. “This is a lose, lose situation,” Soltau added.

“This is huge. There are so many pros and cons. I personally would like to go out there and see what we are talking about,” said Port Alice Mayor Jan Allen.

“I’m not comfortable voting for this at all (today),” said Port Hardy Councillor Pat Corbett-Labatt.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is one of the board members saying she thinks there may be criminal activity involved in this matter?
Pandion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey sent me an Aug. 18 article in the Port Hardy weekly, the North Island Eagle. Here's a link to it.

And here are some select quotes from the article:
    — “I have real fear in this situation, because I think it’s going to escalate. “I have real distress in holding things up for too long. I believe the RCMP should already be involved in this,” [emphasis added] said Malcolm Island
    (Area A) Director Heidi Soltau. “This is a lose, lose situation,” Soltau added.

— “This is huge. There are so many pros and cons. I personally would like to go out there and see what we are talking about,” said Port Alice Mayor Jan Allen.

— “I’m not comfortable voting for this at all (today),” said Port Hardy Councillor Pat Corbett-Labatt.

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is one of the board members saying she thinks there may be criminal activity involved in this matter?
Pandion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, duplicate post.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Port Harvey Reply with quote

ghone wrote:
Hi all. Some of the BC Brats have likely sent in emails or calls to the Regional District link Harvey provided. I have voiced my concern with them and it all counts. Our US friends can surely chime in as cruising people bring tourist dollars and word of mouth to others. Don't be shy to send a note in support. The whole area is under pressure in not only this instance but the wild salmon /caged salmon issue. Lots of Industry pressures to some wild BC waters. Thanks for the concern everyone.
George

George, Thanks for the update. I have been wondering why there hasn't been much word from the northern area. Maybe it is just not here. 65 written objections had to come from somewhere, and has to weigh some with the commission.

With the meeting in Sept looming, it would sure be nice to surprise them and show up with a room full of support for Port Harvey Marine Resort. I am planning on coming up and maybe carpool again, from Nanaimo or Campbell River. Hoping for a plenty good room full.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Port Harvey Reply with quote

ghone wrote:
George

George, Not sure if you heard, but there was an Atlantic Salmon fish farm off Cypress Island near Anacortes that ruptured last week. Well over 100,000 nearly mature fish discharged into Salish Sea waters. There are a couole of recent links on C-BRATS site.

My interest in the Port Harvey thing is to try and prevent another scolgical disaster, and preserve the peace and quite of the area there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Pandion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellow Brats, in case you haven't seen what all the uproar is about, here is what the folks in Port Harvey are working to save:

ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a small remote marina with a rare walkable area. Situated next to a beautiful estuary it has flat areas with the bush back aways. The forest typically comes into the sea so this is a rare spot that has amenities and a walkable foreshore. I may be in the Broughtons mid Sept so will see about attending. I'm in Antigua Guatemala traveling with family at the moment. Back end of August. Heavy industry doesn't belong in the area.
George
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Thanks for posting that. It is a great photo and really shows off the "neighborhood". George's description is right on; There are few places you can get out and walk around the fore shore.

Thanks again,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to Peter Stockdill today, and he had some encouraging words. There has been a change in the BC government in the last couple of months, and the new Minister of Environment is meeting with him tomorrow to explore the situation at Port Harvey. Also, the Commission members are aware that they are dealing with a concern much bigger that anything they have dealt with before and are there for being very careful in there decision making.

Might have some daylight in the mix, but still there is a lot in the balance.

Stick around, the road still has some curves and bumps.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandion wrote:

Fellow Brats, in case you haven't seen what all the uproar is about, here is what the folks in Port Harvey are working to save:

I talked with George and Gail Cambridge yesterday afternoon, and they do have boats at the dock, making pizza and watching bulldozers front loaders and big rock dump trucks working across the bay, making changes to the shoreline and the area. And they are still working on contacts that could help in preserving peace and tranquility in Port Harvey.

They are expecting "Safe Harbor" (Sam Landsman) and "Airship" another vessel from "Slowboat Excursions" to be by in a few days or so.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these changes to the shore line permitted? Wow, in Florida if you dump one rock and alter the shoreline--DEP is all over you with fines.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. His lease and zoning are for residential use. In his application he admits to "stretching" the uses, and asks for retroactive permission for those activities. The Mount Waddington Regional Planning District does not have the financial resources or the enforcement provisions to assure that the use permits are followed. (My thinking that is one of the main reasons he is locating as far as he is back into the islands and away from the populated areas, [if you can call Seyward, Pt McNeil, or even Campbell River] populated, but they are out of the main marine traffic areas, which is the source of their appeal.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: