Aiviq

City/Region: Juba
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aiviq
Photos: Aiviq
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to take a inexperienced young family (passengers really) into this type of undertaking with no additional crew for backup seems a very big risk to me

Doing the inside passage is a big trip, but I think it's within the capabilities of most C-Dory owners with a modicum of experience. It's certainly a popular route, and lots of people do it every year in all kinds of boats. I've actually made the trip before, albeit many years ago and in a bigger boat.

The main safety issues (other than those inherent in being in any boat anywhere) revolve around the remoteness of many parts of the route. As someone who grew up in Alaska, and who has lived in Africa for the past 14 years, I've come to grips with traveling in remote, and even dangerous areas (heck - I've been to Timbuktu. It's not far from here).

The issue of taking young kids along (mine are 4 and 5) is indeed something to think about. My wife was certainly concerned, although more from the "cooped up in a boat for 10 days" standpoint than anything else. Safety wise, bringing them didn't exceed my comfort level, but then I've driven them from Niamey to Ouagadougou traversing country which is undoubtedly more remote, and probably a good bit more dangerous than anywhere on the inside passage.

It's possible that my comfort level has been shaped beyond that of lot's of people, but I do know its limits. A few months ago there was a lot of discussion on the site about the possibility of taking a C-Dory across the Gulf of Alaska. Now that’s something that exceeds my comfort level. I played it safe and shipped the boat across in the hold of a ferry, and I wouldn’t have considered taking my family across the Gulf for anything.

Yes, it's important to prepare. It's even more important to adapt, which is, if anything, the message I'd want people to take home from my account.

I once read a quote from an early Africa explorer who said, "While an adventure is transpiring, it's merely physical and/or emotional discomfort. It needs time to age and mellow, and only actually becomes an adventure when recalled later in comfort and repose". If you want to have an "adventure", you have to be ready to experience a lot of things, not all of them good. I certainly don't believe in looking for trouble; my kids wear bicycle helmets and fasten their seat belts, but I don’t want to raise them in a cocoon, either. You've got to get out there and live life.

Jim
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a very entertaining trip report, Aiviq. I especially had to laugh about your contraband orange situation. I don't know if it's still going on, but the Canadians have recently had a thing about potatoes, perhaps in retaliation. We actually got checked on the Canadian side of the lake this summer by some Customs/Immigration officers and they actually said to us, "Do you have any potatoes with you? ...and if you do, don't tell us about them." LOL
Al

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aivig: Sounds like you are following Maya Angelou's advice "life loves those that dare to live it. After recovering from a temporary fatal heart attack, the one I stress to my employees and family is "eat dessert first". And my C-Dory is a fine bowl.
pugetsounder

City/Region: Edmonds
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
Vessel Name: Haileigh's Comet
Photos: Haileigh's Comet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don and I had the experience of taking the trip in reverse. We went from Dahl Island to Ketichan and down the inside passage to Port Townsend. It was definitely a trip to remember and we plan to take our boat up sometime in the future. With the comments I have read questioning whether or not the trip should have been taken, I have to add....

We left Dahl Island early in the morning. We came out of the sheltered cove which we were moored in into high winds and 8-10ft seas. We cruised for 10 hours in what I considered to be very scary conditions (though you get used to it after a few hours). I thought I had been through quite a lot but happy to have done it. That was until I got to the dock on that September day, where I heard that thousands of people had been killed while sitting at their work desks.

I am not quite the intellect that those before on this thread appear to be so I will quote Jimmy Buffett

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live when I'm dead!"

Just my two cents ---Deb
pugetsounder

City/Region: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Haileigh's Comet
Photos: Haileigh's Comet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. Loved hearing about your adventure.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, we enjoyed it very much. What an ordeal!

Everyone has their own comfort level based on their experience. Since we're spitting out quotes, here's my favorite...from my favorite man in history.

“It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of good deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Rick

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes up short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end triumph of high achievement

By golly I'll nominate AIVIQ for this worthy title!! Great Story, what an adventure! Even the blood part!! Don't think he even came up short, or err'd at all!! Very Happy

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA

Last edited by Captains Cat on Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone, I haven't a clue who, once said that "Life is an adventure or it is nothing". I agree. As one whose daily work involves analyzing the ratio of risk to benefit I believe that there is a great deal of risk in doing nothing. There are a lot of factors that enter into the whole equation, including life experience, education, judgement, skill, luck, attentiveness, strength, IQ, equipment, etc. You get the picture. One can ask, what is the worst that can happen in any given situation. Some might reply that one could die. Another might reply "nothing". For those of us who live in or moved to Alaska, what seemed at times to be pretty big risks, pale when compared with the thought that we had never come to be here. Risk vs benefit. Great inside passage story, sorry about the bloody shin.
Ron Bennie

City/Region: Calgary
State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim:

Thanks for your thoughtful response to my post. What was meant to be open concern regarding safety issues came across as trashing your story. I'm sorry about that. I read your story several times and was completely engrossed each time. I sold our sailboat a few years ago because I felt uncomfortable being the only person who could handle it in difficult situations. My situation is unique in a way as my children are mentally disabled and I couldn't imagine being out there with them at risk if something happened to me. I guess this story hit a little too close to home for me in that way. I do hope we can discuss issues regarding safety and such without it appearing that we're passing judgement on this site. I'll admit to more than a little jealousy that you're out there living the dream and I'm reading about it. Your story brought out an issue I thought others may have an opinion on. I'm the first person to believe that if there's an opportunity out there for adventure...do it. I wish you many happy voyages on Aivig. What a great boat for a family.

Ron B.
Ron Bennie

City/Region: Calgary
State or Province: AB
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...Aiviq. Spelling...arrggh.
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been meaning to ask you...how'd you end up moving from Alaska to Africa? There must be a good story there, too.

Rick
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I enjoyed your story and your conclusion that "it's all good." The responses to your story were also enlightening. I believe that 90% of middle class, risk adverse Americans would view this as a cautionary tale. Most people don't seem to want discomfort and risk. However 90% of C-Dory owners seem to view it as another adventure with a few problems.

That to me shows a common thread among this group. People who buy 16' to 27' boats as cruising/live aboard boats are a little different. That's one of the things that I really enjoy about this group. Whatever our differences we're all ready for the next adventure.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right up there with oranges and potatos is garlic. When coming back in to the U.S. from canada, on our princess Louisa tour, We were asked about any garlic on board. I said that i had a clove of garlic but had bought it in the states before we left. I was told very sternly told that "garlic does not retain its citizenship after leaving the country" and she took my garlic.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose they're worried about VAMPIRES? Shocked

Charlie
Mr. E's C

City/Region: Beaverton, Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 14 Angler
Vessel Name: Mr. E's C
Photos: Hunky Dory
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a real good read. I thought somebody was writing a fascinating fiction novel, till I got into it a little further. Here's my question: How much do you think the boat was worth before the trip and now afterwards? You must have deep pockets and an understanding better half. Better luck in the future. Mr. E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: