The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New C Dory owner here, fuel tank issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: New C Dory owner here, fuel tank issue Reply with quote

Here is the fuel vent we switched to from West Marine, the switch did not require much to swap out. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=18881&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50366&subdeptNum=50406&classNum=50409

D.D.

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: New C Dory owner here, fuel tank issue Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
Here is the fuel vent we switched to from West Marine, the switch did not require much to swap out.

That's a nice looking vent, and I wanted to switch to those for the fuel-tank vents on my 22 cruiser, BUT...

There is a minimum required height clearance as measured inside the boat from the center of the vent hole in the fiberglass. If I remember correctly it is 1-1/2". I found that there was not enough clearance on my 22 cruiser -- the hole/vent were placed high up, and there is not enough clearance to the underside of the gunwale.

I think different boats/years have the fuel vents builder-placed at different heights, so a person might want to check and measure. I could install these, but I would have to either carve out some of the deck core from under the gunwale and re-glass (I think this would give me enough clearance but I'm not positive yet), or glass the hole and re-drill it lower (or disuse the current hole and make a new one elsewhere).

So, something to check on.

Sunbeam Hot
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emurph8 wrote:
I'm cleaning up under where the old tanks were and got a better look at the wires. There is a white wire that is attached to the underside of the fuel fill cap is that part of the fuel gauge I don't need anymore? Or is it some kind of ground / static spark thing? Not sure, I want to make sure I do this right but with plastic tanks I don't know what it would be for? As usual thanks!!

Emurph8-

The white wire(s) are designed to prevent static electricity from creating a spark, fire and/or explosion in the fuel storage/tank system.

Filling the tank with fuel can generate a static charge as gas is delivered into the tank.

To eliminate build up of a dangerous charge, the tank, fuel gauge, and fuel inlet fitting on the gunnel are all grounded together with (white) wires that become grounded externally to the delivery nozzle and, in turn, the gas station fuel pump when the metal nozzle is placed against the fuel fill. This grounds everything so no charge remains when the fill is complete.

Is there no metal grounding fitting on your new plastic tank? If not, I suggest you call the tank supplier/manufacturer to find out what the correct procedure is for dealing with plastic replacement tank installation: do they need to be grounded, and if so, how?

Hope this helps!

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emurph8-

Since it's the weekend and you may not be able to contact the tank supplier, here are some opinions to consider regarding the grounding issue with plastic tanks:

Grounding plastic fuel tanks in boats

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: New C Dory owner here, fuel tank issue Reply with quote

Our boat is a 23' Venture, but I was told about these fuel vents by folks who had also installed them in 22' Cruisers that had issues with spray getting in the factory installed fuel vents. I just took the old vents out and installed the new ones and reattached the vent hoses. We had a Scout center console that came with these same Attwood style fuel vent which had a single 55 gallon tank. Our fuel vents were at different heights on each side of our boat. They must have just eyeballed the locations at the factory.
D.D.
Emurph8

City/Region: South Jersey
State or Province: NJ
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Murphy's Law
Photos: Emurph8 (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I understand grounding the fuel fill but the tanks don't have sending units, no metal at all. Seems like as long as the fuel fill cap is grounded I should be good? Is that the set up on the newer boats with the translucent tanks?
Emurph8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=11142&familyName=Perko+Combination+Gas+Fill+and+Tank+Vent

How about this? It eliminates the need for ground wires and also may solve the issue with water splashing into the vents?
Emurph8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to install my new tanks. The shape of the tank seems to be made to fit tight up against the side of the boat. The only problem with this Is my fuel water separator is in the way. I was thinking of moving the separator to the space in between the tanks. It would be easy to change and drain the filter. Does anybody have any experience with this set up? And am I correct in pushing the tanks tight up against the sides?
Thanks! And I hope everybody has a Great Holiday!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original tanks (similarly shaped, but 25-gallon) were up against the hull sides, and I plan to put my new tanks in the same way.

I have seen the fuel/water separators in a couple of different places:

1) On the inside of the transom between the tanks

2) On the starboard side-wall of the motorwell

If you are going to continue with your easily movable Sunbrella tank skirt (vs. hard panels fastened in place), I think you could also mount it above the starboard side tank in what would otherwise be unused space (the 23-gallon tanks have quite a bit of room above them). I considered that but I think I may use the hard panels, and I want to be able to get to the filter without having to remove panels with tools. I am putting some things there that don't need often/instant access though, such as the HPU for the trim tabs.

My boat came with the f/w separator in position #1, however I have removed it during my projects. I'm thinking I will probably replace it in position #2, possibly with a small Sunbrella "bonnet" to keep some of the salt spray off.

I also replaced the "largeish" original separator with a smaller one. It's not only more compact, but seems to have better options for fuel hose connections (routing). I'll run out and look to see which model it is in a bit and then report back.

Sunbeam Hot
Emurph8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sunbeam!
My current separator won't fit above the tank and I'm not sure I want it out in elements. I would be curious to see what model you have and maybe I could put it above the tank on the starboard side. My other idea was to hold the tanks about 8" away from the side but I don't really want to do that either. If what you have fits above the tank I may go that route. Otherwise I was thinking of mounting it to a piece of wood that I would attach to the under side of the splash well in between the tanks. The problem with this is I would waste some good storage space.
Thanks for the info!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may also depend on what type of fuel water separator/filter you have. If it is a Sierra or Merc etc type, with no drain, then you need enough room to get a fairly good sized filter off.

If it is a Racor, with the clear plastic drain, you need to get a container under the drain to remove water/fuel. On my current boat the Racor is in the Stb. Lazarette. The disadvantage to this , is that in my boat the electrical bus bar, VSR, etc is in this same compartment.. It is ventilated, but there is always the possibility of fuel leak. We inspect the filter and open this lazarette before we start the engine each time, so that danger is minimal.

In my first 22--1992 vintage, the battery was in this lazarette. In the current boat, the batteries are between the fuel tanks.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here is more on the filter/separator:

First, a photo of the unit the boat came with (I've since removed it and filled the holes in the transom). It was mounted to the inside of the transom between the fuel tanks. A couple of things I didn't like about it were that, one, it was larger than necessary, and two, it didn't have two ports on each side, so in order to get both fuel hoses to come off in the same direction an elbow/fitting arrangement was needed. Not tidy.

I decided to get a new unit. It's physically quite a bit smaller (yet still suitable), and it also has two ports on each side, so if both hoses come/go from the same direction there is no need for a fitting/elbow to bring the second one around.

Clothes-pin for scale:

The other side:

I think I'd like that center area between the fuel tanks "open," so I can just toss things in there without worrying about them contacting the filter. I could make a guard, but I think instead I'll probably put the new unit elsewhere.
Sunbeam Hot
Emurph8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics and quick reply. Mine is similar to your new one, its has 4 ports and the plastic bowl but the metal filter is much bigger on mine. Does yours fit above your tank? Do you have to push it further aft to clear the tank? Is it hard to drain the fuel,from the bowl if its that close to the tank? Have you installed your tanks yet? I'm going to order the fiberglass angle and weld man foot loops. Wondering if that worked out for you?
Thanks
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't mounted my filter or tanks yet - although I have mocked up countless arrangements Wink

There seems to be plenty of room for the new filter above the starboard tank. It felt like it "fell into place" the easiest on the "side wall" that's common with the side of the motorwell (where my fuel-tank selector switch's backside is), in terms of fuel-line routing/etc. That would also keep it forward where it could be more easily reached.

Considerations are access for draining the bowl, and for changing the filter - and for some sort of catch pan beneath while you are working, since fuel can drip. It's possible you might need to access it underway.

Since I think I'm going to go with the hard panels "hiding" the tanks, I don't believe I'll put mine there, although I did consider it for awhile when I was thinking of a Sunbrella tank-hiding panel. I'm leaning toward basically the same spot but on the outside, in the motorwell. If I put it there I'll make a little "hat" for it out of Sunbrella - sort of like the winch covers you see on sailboats.
bschell

City/Region: tustin
C-Dory Year: 2003
Photos: bschell 2003 22 Cuiser
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,Sunbeam,Sunbeam pick me up, this is Hunky Dory?

You mentioned that you replaced your translucent fuel tanks, is there something I need to know? I have the same setup and I do not need any problems while 40 miles out putting fish in the boat. Why did you replace your tanks?

Thanks, waiting for you reply
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: